BillBelew.com
FeedbackHumor

Best Advice for Long Plane Rides1461

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Leaving on a Jet Plane was John Denver's break through song.

Peter, Paul and Mary I think made it popular.

I am, 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' in abt 4.5 hours. Then I'll be sitting on a jet plane for 14 hours.

Another hour of immigration and 1.5 hr taxi ride to the airport.

The first time you go someplace far away (Shanghai) it's exciting. The second time you go its fun ... you know stuff... the 3rd, 4th...10th time...it's just far away.

What are your tips for making long travel more tolerable?

I have my Kindle fully loaded and charged.

Got more ideas?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
Load up your phone with music and videos. Also find a way to do some writing on a tablet. That is the only way that kept me sane when travelling to Australia!

Enjoy, make connections, and have fun!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust Gotta remember my earplugs and earphones too.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member Tonyyakovlev private msg quote post Address this user
- Meditate
- Create new blogposts
- Start writing a book (it's possible you never finish it, but the process itself is very rewarding as it allows you to rethink tons of your experience)
- Paint a picture (grab a tablet for that)
- Sleep enough
- Play chess with others
- Or poker )
- Take photos of other passengers
- Make new connections
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Best advice, don't work, don't stress ... do the things you don't normally have time to do... read a book, watch a movie... sleep ... drink, interact with people ... enjoy...

I used to travel an awful lot, and it's a lot easier when you make it fun, and your own time...

Isn't this the trip you made a great connection with the last time you went ... do more of that.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Sketch and draw comics
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Here are my thoughts on some great travel advice from Uncle Tony.. who's seen some miles!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I booked my seat in the extreme back of the plane. Safest place to travel and usually the last to fill up.

The plane was only 50% full. There were a LOT of empty seats. I got 4 in a row in the center. I laid down for 12 of the 14 hour flight. Woke up to eat and read a little and fell back asleep. Tossed and turned but the time passed quickly.

90 mins later ... I am settling in to my hotel room. Stupid me has a webinar starting in 5 hours (2 am local) and I have to be up at 6 am to catch a subway to my first assignment ... all day at a university.

Thanks for the tips! I still have to go back home and I may not be so lucky as to get to lay down all the way.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member Tonyyakovlev private msg quote post Address this user
Good luck. And quick recover from the jetlag.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Good luck! The best way if you can, is to do some travel hacking and use award miles to get business class and get a seat that you can lay down flat, plus lots of good food.
Otherwise, the best thing to do is to avoid alcohol, drink plenty of water, move as much as you can (do a few exercises) as all that sitting is bad for you -- sitting is the new smoking, as the saying goes -- meditate, plot your novel, and read, read, read. If you're not in business class it's a good idea to fast. Not necessarily because the food isn't that good for you but apparently fasting helps you cope better with air travel. I read that somewhere.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - best of luck!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Going back in time.

I leave at 1:45 on Wed afternoon and arrive at 8:35 the same morning.

I hope they don't take my hover board away from me when I check in.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
They played this movie 24/7 when we crossed the international dateline..

Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Dang it. Can't see it just yet. YouTube is not available here.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
29714 14 14
destitute