BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspiration

Going Completely Dark, 1st time in 20 years1469

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am pretty sure I have never gone completely dark ... not since I first got online 20 years ago.

My wife, daughter and I are leaving for an 8-day trip tomorrow to the Old Country - Rome for a couple of days. Then on a cruise throughout the Med ending up in Barcelona.

Another day in London...then home.

I am leaving my PC at home.

I will carry my cell phone so my kids can get a hold of me in case of an emergency.

Elsewise, I expect to be 100% removed from the online community till I get back. I hope.

Has anyone else taken a complete leave of absence from the Internet since you first got on?

Wanna share?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Tonyyakovlev private msg quote post Address this user
Sure. Did this several times. It's Ok.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Tonyyakovlev

I remember a guy telling abt his experience of losing ALL of his archived emails ... answered and unanswered.

"You know what happened?" he asked rhetorically.

"Nothing."

The World got along without me before, they're gonna get along without me now ... or for a week anyway."

Nobody, especially me, is as important as we want to think we are.

Post 3 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds fantastic. Have a great trip. You'll probably miss the computer at some point or you'll be too busy enjoying yourself. Bon Voyage!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't the flip side of that Skeeter Davis record, I'm So Miserable Since You Left Me It's Almost Like You're Here!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
PDave private msg quote post Address this user
Have a great time. Well deserved.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
My trip to Portland and camping along the Oregon coast was the first time in years I've been offline for days at a time.

A friend of mine regular does media fasts where he goes offline like the Jewish fasting for the Sabbath.

There's a lot to be said for the "Less is More" approach. I've done this with some success for creativity.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I had a preacher friend say in passing, "You can do more work in 6 days than you can in 7."

Of course, he was/is right.

The problem is I didn't/don't listen.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Pele private msg quote post Address this user
Can't imagine how hard it will be for me to stay offline. I'm sure the world won't go into meltdown should I go AWOL. ;-)
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I am sorry to hear you lost your preacher friend but, hey, those are pretty quotable last words! ;o)
Post 10 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@belew Your preacher friend is right. I also have the tendency to always do work. Now I feel better with 2 rest days due to prolonged work and settle family issues.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
vacationdiva private msg quote post Address this user
You will be fine. Leave an "away" message for your email and ignore everyone. Make sure you give yourself a couple of extra days when you return, so you can catch up.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
PatS private msg quote post Address this user
Have a fabulous time. I'm sure everything will be here when you get back. And you aren't even speaking? Wow!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I've just taken the whole weekend off ... never once checked emails, messages, websites... anything. At one point I thought I needed to check, just to make sure but I resisted... mainly I might add because it meant getting in my car and driving back to my house... and low and behold Monday morning... everything is still as it should be, and the wheel hasn't fallen off because I didn't check.

Most weekends will likely be the same now ... I just need to learn to manage my other time better to give me this added time off ...
Post 14 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I have been struggling to continuously check my email. Now, I manage to reduce the frequency to check my emails.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Twice in the last five years.

2010 trip around the world for about a month. Shanghai, Dallas, Frankfurt,Shanghai. My first rtw was a bit shorter.

2013 trip to Shanghai, Guangzhou and Beijing for 3 weeks.

All worked as planned... except me.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@vacationdiva

This is good advice...but I don't think I left myself enough time to catch up. I have never been very smart that way.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Well, try as I might, I didn't stay offline as completely as I had wanted to.

Just as quickly as we landed in Rome I realized I needed to go online (app) ... to call my Uber. That worked really well, btw...in Rome and in London. The experience made me regret not doing AirBnB, too.

I did manage to NOT respond to anybody while gone...but I confess to reading and clearing out non-essential emails, and marking those I'd respond to when I got back.

Going offline didn't kill me. And I like the wording I read here somewhere "the wheels didn't fall off." But my friend's car did catch on fire.

Oh, and coordinating with BnBs, finding a friend in downtown London ... yeah, I needed my cell phone to do that. Without it, the experience would have been very old school.

Still, I stayed away from work...just used my online access to make the travel/vacation experience better.

Now, if I could have figured out how to use my phone to stay away from the buffet table on the cruise ship....
Post 18 • IP   flag post
The longer I stay away from my comouter the harder it is to go back to it.

If it were not for my phone, I'd be completely out of touch.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with that....unless I never go back.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
26086 19 19
destitute