BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer AdviceFeedback

What Happened to Days Off?1498

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Ever since my wife went back to work full time, I seem to have misplaced my day off?

I gladly do the school runs - drop off and pick up, the after school runs - drop off, wait, and pick up ... and the in-law runs - check ups, blood tests ... and the shopping - most of it.

What that means is, more often than not, I am fitting my work schedule in around a lot of stuff ... and the lost time has to be made up on the weekends = no complete day off.

Presentation building this morning, recording this afternoon...meeting this evening.

Planning meeting tomorrow morning ...

How do you make sure you get a complete day off?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
A day off is for people with jobs.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member PatS private msg quote post Address this user
I hear ya! I haven't had a full day off in ages. Especially a day just for me. The occasional "day off" is one I schedule in advance for some couple time. Not the same as "me" time.

It's interesting that work from home always seems to have less value than work in an office. You were working full time all along, but suddenly because you're your own boss, your schedule is less valuable and your work gets shifted to accommodate the office job. I've been self-employed from home for over 40 years, and my life is so crazy confused because work always gets squeezed into the cracks.

Notice even the attitude here. Morrnel says, "A day off is for people with jobs." Which says that what we do isn't a job... It's just a hobby. Not important.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Everything has a price - especially freedom.. someone joked that entrepreneurs will work 80 hrs a week to avoid working 8 hrs a day for someone else!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Take your concern to any average housewife and mother. Then come back and tell us if you still have a problem.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew, didn't you tell once your pastor said you can always get 7 days of work done in 6? Perhaps get back to following his advice.

Plus, what @Rev said.

I was in a weight loss class. Our instructor asked us to find 30 minutes in the day to exercise. I found a way to climb the stairs of a 10 story building bottom to top and back down three times a day. Always went to the bathroom one flight up or one down. One lady explained that she had to work more than 12 hours a day and had no time to exercise.

I asked her who would miss her the most when she was dead: her boss or her family. A question we all need to ask ourselves.

God, self, family friends, society.

Sorry to be so blunt. Merry Christmas.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel

That's not blunt. That's just straight up good advice.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Days off ... I don't even switch a computer on, check email or anything now on Saturdays or Sundays ... things changed pretty much for me this year and when things do, you realize that work actually isn't all that important and that you simply work to live and not, as many do live to work.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Steve, And all it took was a lady in your life?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel All it took was a real special lady in my life ... Who wants to work when you have one of those
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Sometimes that special one can drive you to work, too!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member shahin private msg quote post Address this user
YOU have to make time for a day off. You are the master of your schedule and how much you take on. And it is important to rest your brain from time to time.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
If I only had a brain...

Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member shahin private msg quote post Address this user
Ha Ha....you have a big brain. You just have to remember to take care of it so that you can go on helping others.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@shahin

My artist son got all my right brain; my scientist son got all my left brain; and my daughter got all my good looks.

I have nothing left. Just a shriveled up old prune of a man.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member BrotherBob private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes you just have to stop or at least slow down.
Years ago I quit the shop I was working in and opened my own shop at home. This was Mercedes Benz repair and I started working night and day with weekends thrown in too.
Finally one Saturday I got up and after breakfast headed to the shop but never made it. I went in the bedroom for something and didn't feel well and just crashed on the bed. Late in the day I woke up.
Wife and I decided that if we could not make it in a decent weeks work it was not worth it. We went on 11 more years and did great till we sold out.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
29613 16 16
destitute