BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness AdviceCareer Advice

A Marketer is an Evangelist is ...1499

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am in a curious poaition.

This forum is not, well, a forum for faith-based discussions, political haggling and NSFW topics. Sex, religion and politics to be clear. Those topics were taboo in the ward room on our Navy ship. Lots of wisdom there.

I used to work as a missionary when I was in Japan. I am an evangelist by nature.

It occurred to me that being a marketer is not unlike being an evangelist...or is it the other way around?

A lot of the principles I apply to marketing I learned from my evangelism training many years ago.

As it turns out... just a few moments ago I got confirmation that a local very tiny Asan-American church has hired me to be their weekly preacher/evangelist.

I am wondering 2 things. I know how evangelism has affected how I do marketing. What I wonder is how my real world marketing experience will affect my evangelism.

And ... how has your experience in some other profession made you a better marketer or hindered you?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Every moment - every experience is an opportunity to learn.

Of course, the default response to ignore these lessons is always available.

But even in the most painful times, you can curse your stars or count your blessings that the moment was given to you.

If you read my writing, I will take lessons from everything from poker to aikido to flying to dancing tango..
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

This is a strength of yours...to see the positive in so many places.

I have started to wonder how to or if to bring my Sunday lessons to Blab.

Thoughts?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew - sure, that can be a niche opportunity.. Sunday lessons for those not into going to church..

Of course, the question you have to answer is that if these folks aren't going to church, what aren't they getting there? (is it timing? hassle of getting ready to go? driving to church? feeling like they're being lectured?)

What would make it compelling for them to attend a Blab? (interacting? debating? what's missing from the church experience that live stream can overcome?)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Great questions.

Is it possible to do a blab in a live setting....where ppl are in front of me while the Blab is live as well?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew - anywhere that you have a decent enough internet connection to support live stream works.

Sketchy wifi will frustrate you. It's better to use a landline - even if it means a crazy Cat 5 cable run to the location.

Lately, I've been making it a "friendly" policy of testing a interview guest's setup before the actual event. But like many things I "invite" them. That's usually enough for most.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Thanks for the tip.

I have no idea where I'll end up with this. Ideally I'd have someone else at the church handling the Blab so I can focus on being there in the physical presence.

My weakness is always to try to do too much at a time.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew - y, it's a shame I'm not back up in the Bay Area.

Oh well, I guess no matter how free we are to work & connect anywhere, sometimes there's still no substitute for just being there!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
shahin private msg quote post Address this user
Every experience in life teaches us things about ourselves or new skills.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
27485 9 9
destitute