BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksProductivityTwitter

What Happens If Massively Unfollow Twitter1528

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve gave a terrific Webinar on How to Get Real Followers and Engagement on Twitter

And it works. In June of last year I had 11,400 followers. Just before Christmas I had 55,400...by doing the @Steve.

But ... there's always a but.

I decided I would see if I could break his method. I am funny that way. My dad would say, "Willy, you never know how to leave well enough alone." He's right. I am funny that way, too.

Along with those 55+K followers I ended up following 44+K or thereabouts. My Twitter feed was filled with tweets I cared nothing about, and some I even found offensive.

I looked around. Other people who are employing a similar method that @Steve prescribes had abt a 75-110% following:follower ratio.

My following to follower ratio hoovered around 80%. I often cleared out inactive followers and non-followers.

Then I got this inkling. Inklings usually come to me when I think too much.

I inkled (is that a word?), thought to myself - "What would happen if I massively unfollowed everyone that I really didn't want to follow?" Not that I dislike them, I just wasn't interested. And some I didn't like.

So, I did, er, I am....massively unfollowing everyone I don't want to follow. Seriously ... by the 10s of thousands. I am using CrowdFireApp...the same app I use to grow my number of followers, to ungrow those I am following.

For every 10K I unfollow, how many followers will I lose? That's my first question?

And now I know the answer ... well, sorta. I have a pretty good idea. For every 10K Following I delete, I lose about 1300-1500 followers. I will probably lose more.

I can live with that.

I can reduce my 44,500 Following (those I follow) ... to abt 500 that I am really interested in ... making Twitter something I want to see rather than something I want to use.

And by going from 44,500 Following, my 55.3K Followers (those who follow me) will drop by abt 7,000 to 48.3K.

I can live with that.

Going forward into 2016, I want to be more mindful of those I choose to follow. I have a specific target that I am interested in and interested in them being interested in me.

We will continue to grow the number of followers by following others... but we will be mindful of those we follow, and more active in unfollowing those we find uninteresting.

I want people to follow me because they want to... and I want to follow people I want to.

Wait! Isn't that what Twitter is supposed to be?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Yikes! When you massively unfollow people, sometimes you unfollow people you didn't want to unfollow.

I guess I need to slow down.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
I did something similar on Facebook and guess what? Engagement goes up.. sometimes "less is more.."
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Look what happened?!

Following is down to almost nothing...I'll build this back up.

But look at the immediate trend in impressions. You can actually see the results!

Post 4 • IP   flag post
And then people get mad at you for trying to do the right thing = have a more pure intent who you/I follow and have follow you/me.

But some retweet and new followers still come ... but they'll likely go away if I don't refollow them back out of some sort of obligation....or not.

Post 5 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
If it isn't broken...
Don't fix it

What I do is use my follower strategy to build my followers... however people also just follow me without me having to follow them first. These people need to have 10K followers for me to follow.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Too late for the don't fix it reminder.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
But boy am I learning stuff.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew - that's crazy!

Who are these people who follow like 100 and have 100k followers and what are they doing besides being Ashton Kutcher??
Post 9 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@belew I do agree. I follow people when I find them interesting. People follow me because they find me interesting. That is the concept I believe in.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
The day after ... the number of followers is still decreasing... but not as quickly as it was yesterday.

I wonder where it'll bottom out ... and when.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Nobody has gotten mad at me yet today...or mad enough to blast me publicly.

Well, I have that going for me.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I can see things I couldn't see before.

I start following people unintentionally. What I mean is I now know who I follow. But I can see the number I follow grow withoutme doing it. Something is fishy if I am following people I never intended to.

I wonder what else goes on like that.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Still going down...but at a much slower clip than before.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I am still picking up random people that I follow...though I never followed them. I know who I follow now.

How does that happen?

And what other quirks does Twitter have that we don't know about?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
I get notifications that I care about and can interact with people I want to.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
-15 following!

The next 15 people I choose to follow are out of luck.

Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew - didn't know it was possible to get negative followers.. surprised I don't already have that on some of my stuff!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I not only have negative followers, I clearly have people I am 'following' that I did NOT opt to follow.

I have seen that happen repeatedly.

Learning a lot with this exercise.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew - lol, that's an interesting one.. following someone that you did not follow.. adding "broke Twitter" to your resume will be interesting!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I have worked Twitter and gotten and seen the benefits. But numbers of following and followers are meaningless...other than an indication that you are 'working' it.

Twitter is meant to broadcast out to people who really want to hear from you...and to read broadcasts of those you follow.

That's not happening.

Watch the ratio of followers:following ... and you can see who has/is doing what.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew - y, I guess certain metrics can be like statistics "lies & damn lies".. in the end it's still all about results & meaningful connections.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
What time period in your life does it remind you of when someone says, "If you don't like me, I am not going to like you?"
Post 23 • IP   flag post
It seems I followed 2 more people I know I didn't follow. But they thanked me for following them anyway.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Still going down...but definitely not as fast as it was.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
The change in Twitter activity is visible and remarkable when you start following others and are followed.

Have a look.

Post 26 • IP   flag post
MLHarris private msg quote post Address this user
Happy New Year!

It shouldn't be about numbers, only about people u care about and they care about u. This way one can truly develop a loyal fan base
Post 27 • IP   flag post
davidz private msg quote post Address this user
@belew nice experiment. When I reminded people here the risk of "link farm" style spam marketer's trick, I thought I would be un-popular, but you did listen.

If I were twitter (or any good social network), my algorithm would certainly reward your current method and penalize your spam method. I am not into twitter because I think it is dying, but my facebook or instagram has absolute no spam method, almost zero following/follower ratio, and making significant progress.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
The bottom!! Well, maybe.

I knew when I massively unfollowed people on Twitter I'd lose a bunch, get yelled at, and such. But I didn't know how much.

We wanted to clean out those we were following just for numbers' sake even it meant we were being followed for the same reason.

And we wanted to start reaching out on a much more selective basis.

As it turns out ... we lost abt 20% of our following. More will go. But they are leaving at a much slower rate. What that means is ... I have gained some pure followers and/or the people who appear to be following me are just not that active ... or both.

For the first time in abt a month ... we are seeing a net growth of targeted following and losing real non-followers.

That being said ... I have learned a lot. More to follow on other 'stuff' I have learned.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
I have never done this on Twitter before!!

Post 30 • IP   flag post
25162 66 30
destitute