BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksProductivityTwitter

What Happens If Massively Unfollow Twitter1528

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolan

How is Facebook working for you?

Has your email list grown? Are you able to then convert via email?
Post 76 • IP   flag post
Member KathrynLang private msg quote post Address this user
I'm interested in this as well - and also how you developed the 25k followers?
Post 77 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
I have been fortunate. My biggest chunk of FB growth came through two audiences. Bald Eagles and Bering Sea fishing.I would post photos of both, and get great responses. Both groups are crazy for their passion. A FB page for nature photos with 800k followers started reposting my eagles. That was the biggest boost, I got likes from across the globe. Before FB limited many of the parameters, my friend gathered over 100k doing the same thing. https://www.facebook.com/SassePhoto/
He had days of 5k to 10k like! He told me those days are over.
Moving forward, I am writing two novels, one eagle mythological and one Deadliest catch Bering Sea stuff. (I Capt. 30 years there) and building a web site.
To generate email sign ups. I have offered free downloads (Eagle images) to anyone signing up to my email list. The list is currently close to 800, I just did an emailing, allowing a download of a key image, and a small excerpt of my book.
My earning so far on all this is not enough to buy a cup of coffee. I figure I am building the base to launch speaking, writing and photography from. I appreciate any insights you may have.
My FB page with the offers still valid..:-) https://www.facebook.com/JackMolanPhotography/
Post 78 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@jmolan

Are the eagle pictures your own photography?

Once you have your website you will be able to begin to get serious about traffic, which is different from likes. Traffic converts. Likes seldom do.

If this is your website, doing it like this is also holding you back:

Get rid of that robots blocking configuration and let Google index your site as it is. Get something relevant on the home page, and about page, and a contact page, even if they are not going to be final. DO NOT put an "under construction" or "coming soon" page up. Begin your real menu tree.

And if that's not your new website then get something up -- at least those three pages -- and let Google start indexing. Build your website in public on its real domain if at all possible. You know how they sometimes cut holes in plywood construction fences so people can watch... ask yourself why.
Post 79 • IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal

You certainly did learn an important trick. It is like a double edged knife that cuts, as they say, both ways...

1) you mute the people you don't like but keep them in your followers (you get to feel good about the number), but

2) many (most?) of them mute you (if you don't share something of interest to them) but keep you in their followers so they feel good about the number.

What this means is that the number of followers you have isn't exactly meaningful. Twitter, facebook, Pinterest, etc. are all important to you selling books or getting people to your B&B, but not in the way you (and most people) use them.

I'm 65 and I make my entire living online. I have a website, I blog, I use social media, all those things that are spoken of here in this forum, and I know what works because I know how it all goes together.

Hang out here, ask questions, join the classroom, and you will too!
Post 80 • IP   flag post

Member FrugalTravelsNepal private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

You are so right. I only know enough to be dangerous. I was in a unfollow website this morning and it showed one of my other accounts as not following me and even had someone else's profile info, not ours. So, it was suggesting I unfollow the account because they weren't following me-not true.

Yes, more training would be very helpful. Thanks so much.
Post 81 • IP   flag post
Student jmolan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
@jmolan

Are the eagle pictures your own photography?

Once you have your website you will be able to begin to get serious about traffic, which is different from likes. Traffic converts. Likes seldom do.

If this is your website, doing it like this is also holding you back:

Get rid of that robots blocking configuration and let Google index your site as it is. Get something relevant on the home page, and about page, and a contact page, even if they are not going to be final. DO NOT put an "under construction" or "coming soon" page up. Begin your real menu tree.

And if that's not your new website then get something up -- at least those three pages -- and let Google start indexing. Build your website in public on its real domain if at all possible. You know how they sometimes cut holes in plywood construction fences so people can watch... ask yourself why.

Wow you have my interest! The eagle images are mine yes. My new (and unfinished) website.
Your advise and comments may be what I need to motivate and get it running. Writing has dominated my time of late, but no excuses. Lack of understanding, getting through the unknown of blogging also.

I will tackle your advise today, thanks so much. The jackmolan.com you refer to is not used, from a few years ago.
Post 82 • IP   flag post
Member Lenderman33 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Rev,

What is your primary source of revenues . . . Given that you generate your revenues "Online"?

Products? Affiliate? Consulting?

Thanks!

Erik
Post 83 • IP   flag post
Member authenticV private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve

This is one of my mottos! Keeps me going regardless of slow progress!
Post 84 • IP   flag post
@Lenderman33 Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenderman33
Products? Affiliate? Consulting?

Yes.

I have multiple income streams. I don't consider any one of them as primary. Some produce a little more but they all vary from time to time. The mix is right for me. In the area of consulting and coaching one of the things I do more often is help others find the right mix for their own path.
Post 85 • IP   flag post
Thanks again for all your encouragement and tips. However, I'm having a lot of issues. I'm not only limited from following/unfollowing but now when people follow me, my list isn't growing much at all. I've followed back just about everyone who's followed me, but each morning I'm at 8,800 plus a few. I follow back 20-30 and the next time I check I'm at 8,805 Then I follow 20-30 who have followed me and the next day no matter how many followed me and I follow back the list never grows anymore.

I'm thanking people who shared my posts, RTing and posting good content for my niche. I was using unflitter (or something like that) and they tell me I'm in trouble with them, too.

Then this morning I look at the list of people I follow and I see so many whom I don't follow and who do not follow me-at least 100 of them. I cannot unfollow because I'm not following them and they do not follow me, but they are in that page of people following me.

I decided to stop playing the game of following people, especially when I saw I was blocked again with only about 5% above those who follow me when I started unfollowing more because I was trying to get it right. That's when I made it worse and now I don't even want to log in.

So, I cannot follow or unfollow for several days and then I saw this this morning. Also, when I post it usually doesn't put the snippit from the website like they do for everyone else. I have to find a picture from my computer if I want it to have a picture.

I've seen so many people I was following with 50,000 followers who have been inactive for months. That's how I feel, like just quitting it. I think all those I've noticed with big followings just found it of no monitary value.
Post 86 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@FrugalTravelsNepal sounds as if yiu need a training session... Twitter really isnt all that hard... none of the social media platforms are.
Post 87 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@FrugalTravelsNepal I had a similar issue recently but I checked my bio and realized it wasn't as clear as it should be. I edited it and now my numbers are growing again.

I have also learned to unfollow inactive accounts. This has put my figures into the black with Twitter, as it were.
Post 88 • IP   flag post
They actually took 800 followers away. Now I have 8,000 again. I didn't even have 10% Over those that I follow. I had 8,800 and followed about 9,200.

I just did a little each day. I was also using Twiends to help me stay inside the twitter rules. I used crowdfire and unflitter to unfollow the inactive accounts so I wasn't following bots.

I have an NGO in Nepal and wanted to build up a following. Now I know what all the people are going to Instagram for. All I see on the twitter profiles is 'follow me.'
Post 89 • IP   flag post
Before I knew it ... I surpassed 90K followers. Thx @ Steve.

And my little girl? Surpassed 30K followers.

How you doin'?
Post 90 • IP   flag post
Still not having good luck with Titter. I've been blocked so many times and I think I have a high spam thing because I've been following back. I don't follow people who don't follow me unless it's a good news source for retweeting. I've actually unfollowed bill here, I think; I can't find him on my list.

I've been trying to unfollow and now I have 8,500 followers and 7,600 that I'm following. Manageflitter.com is helping a lot with it.

However-big however, I noticed today that my pinned tweet for my nonprofit that has never had the account blocked or froze is still being played by twitter. Here's the latest:

I wrote a blog post and linked it to my wealthy affiliate link. I tweeted it and shared it on Copromoteapp.com so others would tweet it. I got about 46 retweets, but no results. Well, today I looked at the link and it is being blocked by twitter. I saw this cute app 'linkis' that allowed me to put a short intro to the blog post that is a callout box on top of my post. I noticed it was blank under the callout box when I tried to go to it, but thought it was because our connection is pretty slow in Nepal. This morning I saw a small banner across the top that stated Twitter requested they block the link. Over 100,000 reach and it was a blank page!

What a waste of time and money. I found this site, wealthy affiliate that I really like and have been promoting the affiliate link to help pay for it while I get the project set up like I envision. But for at least a couple months the site has been blocked. It's my blog post, not a twitter site or a linkis site, but they are blocking it due to a request by twitter.

I've seen so many accounts inactive for a year that have 100,000 followers. Now I know why so many people just give up. What a horrible trick and this account I've been careful to keep on the down low so it doesn't get deleted or blocked. I'm just sick about this.

Could someone help me to understand this?
Post 91 • IP   flag post
Its the "linkis" app most likely... i know i hate it and have taken steps to remove my website from its framinf system... i am guessing that Twitter doesnt like this also.
Post 92 • IP   flag post
I wrote to them and they have taken care of it. They denied that they knew anything about the problem. I am just glad they took their cookies, or whatever, out of the link.

If you have an issue with them just send them an email to their info@ I cannot believe the issue was resolved so quickly.

Also, hard to believe so much response so quickly on this site, either. Steve, are you also on the Asian side of the planet?
Post 93 • IP   flag post
@FrugalTravelsNepal sure am... I'm in Perth, Australia
Post 94 • IP   flag post
Closing in on 124K total followers ... me (90.5) and the little one (33.5)
Post 95 • IP   flag post
Now that I reached 100K, I plan to do the massive unfollow thing again ... to see how many stick.
Post 96 • IP   flag post
@Belew be careful that you don't lose your active followers and only end up with the dead wood.

Would be interesting if you ran a check to see how many active followers you have now... and then compared this afterwards...
Post 97 • IP   flag post
@Steve

The past 2 times i tried this i lost the 'reciprocal followers' I think. Leaving me with ppl who are no longer active or follow because they want to.

I can compare engagement before and after the fact.

Right now it is clear more ppl engage with my daughter than with me. And she posts by manually a 1-2x weekly or less, and I do automaton style.
Post 98 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Yep you're Klout score is just 56, I would have expected it to be much higher ... perhaps the content you are sharing on Twitter isn't right for the audience you are attracting.

But then, if you are getting all of these people sign up on the forum... it's obviously doing something.
Post 99 • IP   flag post
In one week I lost 6000 followers.
Post 100 • IP   flag post
@Belew But has your engagement increased ?
Post 101 • IP   flag post
@Steve

My daughter is getting terrific engagement. I never did one way or the other. But then I don't know what is considered good engagement.

What is? You can answer that for sure.

Here's what I do know ... without all the following I had before I can now look at my Tweeter Feed and see updates that I care about. I couldn't do that before.
Post 102 • IP   flag post
Of course engagements are desired ... or are they?

Wouldn't impressions also be worth keeping an eye on?
Post 103 • IP   flag post
@Belew best engagement is WORK ... second best is leads and then you can look at growth such as klout scores,etc... of which yours is 55 ...
Post 104 • IP   flag post
It's been over a week and I have lost 6.9%.

The first time I did this, I lost over 20%.

2nd time ... I lost 17%-ish.

This is the first time to 'purge' at my daughter's acct. She's down 16%.
Post 105 • IP   flag post
29726 117 30
destitute