BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness AdviceProductivity

I am lousy at customer service1560

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
In the early goings on taking on a new client there was a testy exchange.

I know that the customer is always right. But he wasn't. I decided to defend my writer rather than let him have his way.

He 'threatened' me with "I can go elsewhere."

I responded with,"if they can do better than I then by all means go there. Id rather you be happy than me give you an experience that you are not satisfied with."

He committed to me today.

I am pretty sure I should have been softer. But maybe not.

What do you think I should have done?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
In most circumstances if you win an argument with a customer you lose that customer in the end ... as they never forget.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I agree. But the writer will be long after the customer. Provided I find another customer.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I'm also a firm believer in the fact that not all customers are my ideal clients and as such some of them are asked to use other peoples services on occasion... life is to short to waste it on people that do not value your services.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - that's another thing I've learned from poker. Sometimes some people need to be handled that way. A shark won't respect you unless you hit it on the nose. The worse thing you can do is flail and struggle to get away.

But more important is what @Steve said - unlike what my teacher would say about "we should dance with everyone," I've learned from tango that I'm not the right partner for all dancers. SW SW SW SW..

Some Will, Some Won't, So What, Someone's Waiting!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member ozairakhtar private msg quote post Address this user
Customer services defines how much you care about your clients and how much are you willing towards your business to grow by providing quality product or services.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@ozairakhtar

I agree. But sometimes what I think is good for the customer is not what the customer wants for themselves.

What do you do in that case?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew I always ask too many questions from the customers or clients and even tell them that I'll be asking some more in the mean time to deliver good quality work or anything they have requested for.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@ozairakhtar

I ask questions too. But not a lot. My experience is that my clients don't know what questions they should be asking.

How do you coach your customers along to be asking the right questions?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I used to tell them the clear reason behind "asking questions". Like, I tell them that if you can tell me about this then it will be more easy for me to deliver you that service effectively.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
29424 10 10
destitute