BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspirationProductivity

Seriously? Long form posts are better?1564

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I just got an email from a group I highly respect.

Deep pockets, great research, some transparency.

The link to an article they sent ...

The article was 2100 words. The videos embedded in the article amounted to 80 minutes-ish if I were to watch them all.

The podcasts were longer ...

And the books they wanted me to read...

Seriously. This is better?

What am I missing?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
And when I clicked thru... it took minutes for the whole post to download.

Seriously?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
If someone is committed and has a good relationship with a company with long form content- they might be patient, but only to a point. I envision initiates, quickly switching off with these guys. I want to quickly engage, and consume, not undertake a cerebral endurance run. Where is the excitement, inspiration, and motivation to continue?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Long form depends upon -- indeed requires -- good formatting and good pacing. The page you went to obviously did not deliver on that. Perhaps a case of "do as I say, not as I do"?

I tend to write 300 (+/-) to 450 word posts. After the point I seriously consider breaking it into two or more posts, depending on total word count.

That's not to say I don't write long posts. A couple of days ago I wrote a post with over 1800 words. It could have been expanded into a series -- as many as 9 or 10 posts with a little filler -- but it was in service of a singular purpose and, as such, was published in its entirety.

Sometimes long form is the right thing to do. Sometimes not. Either way, it must be good form!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I was reading a couple of articles at an online news site.

I read and read and read and got fed up.

I dropped the article in a word.doc to see how long it was .... 3957 words!

Seriously?!

I wanted to read the recap of a game I missed. 894 words? A recap? Seriously?

I wanted to read abt the best something or rather the other day, but I had to first read about the history of something or rathers, and how they have come to be ranked, and how they compare to ... 600+ words later, I finally got to the part I wanted to read.

It's just writing long to go long any more. Seriously.

We call that being long-winded.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

We do tend to get a little cranky when we get old... ;o)
Post 6 • IP   flag post
senkoduras private msg quote post Address this user
In my experience, detailed posts that include screenshots, annotations and even videos work great for various "how to" guides and similar topics. We are simply overflowed with content and if you want to reach your target audience, you have to write detailed content, at least for this type of posts. It's nearly impossible to cover such topics in 400-500 words. If you create an ultimate guide for something you know there it has an audience in 3k-5k words, you have traffic for years through such piece of content. People call this type of content '10x' content and you can see that it's usually performing very well, according to shares and number of sites linking to it.

Short posts, in my experience work great for topics like news commentary, opinions on some topic or even as teasers with links to more detailed external articles.

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want to achieve and who you want to target with each specific post.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@senkoduras

These are excellent thoughts. .10x content and short commentary.

Re ..."last for years.." do you think any kind of content will last for years?

What kind?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
do you think any kind of content will last for years?

What kind?

Sure, here is a quick sample (there are many other cases):
Keyword:

Monthly search volume worldwide:

Monthly search volume in US:

At the moment an article from 2012 is ranked on 11th position. It's not page #1, but with this search volume I am sure it's getting traffic too.

Also, there is an article from July 2014 on spot #3 on Google. Both domains are highly authoritative, which is important to notice too.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@senkoduras

Great examples! Thanks.

Perhaps my idea of a long time is different than yours... I was thinking 4-5 years from now. 8-)

It's common wisdom that a good post will get more traffic in the months, years following it's posting than when it first went out.

Creating that long tail is the real strategy.

Thanks for the reminder here!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew, anytime. Thanks for the thumb up!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Here's an example of long-tail and no-box-at-all thinking. The keyword phrase "dog urine color" is the most searched keyword by dog owners and, though he sells dog-related retail goods, my client has no connection to anything dog urine related. How to rank for such a non-connected term (search it and see which gift retailer is in number two or three spot) without risking penalty?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I searched... but not sure what I was supposed to fine.

Couldn't tell which one was your client... or where to click on.

I just know not to eat yellow snow.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Did dog lover store show up for you in the top five?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Most of the links for dog lover store are sponsored paid links. Funny thing is that most of the domains that link to the dog lover store are owned by the same guy and have the same template (even hosted on the same IP). It's a link scheme. Works great, until it doesn't any more. It can work for a long time, but it can be risky too.

However, it's not true that there is nothing related to this keyword on the site. The page that's ranking is related. Here's just part of the URL (I'm not including domain name for the obvious reasons): "dog-urine-color-dogs-urine-yellow-brownyellowredorange/", while the title of the article is "Dog Urine Color – Why is My Dog’s Urine Yellow or Brown/Yellow/Red/Orange?"
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Number 1 under paid ads.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
I realize I am parsing words, @Belew, but I want to be clear... "under" -- is it #1 among paid ads, or #1 after the paid ads?

It shouldn't be a paid ad at all. It's organic.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@senkoduras

Of course the article is related to dog urine -- that's how it ranks. But the site, as a gift retail location, has nothing else to do with that subject. However, instead of just providing great descriptions of the products offered for sale, as so many retailers do, and then wonder why they aren't found, this site owner provides useful semi-related (ie: about dogs) information that Google loves.

Your research into "link schemes" is flawed but expected.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
You really don't let some things go, do you? Yeesh.

It's #1 UNDER paid ads.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Thanks, @Belew. That's very helpful.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
my client has no connection to anything dog urine related. How to rank for such a non-connected term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Of course the article is related to dog urine -- that's how it ranks.

Two different claims. I was just answering to the initial question you asked, @Rev. It's not that unusual to rank with single article if you have enough link juice coming to the site. For example, I run graphic design agency site that has an animal name in the domain (let's assume it's an giraffe), and although it's in no way related to giraffes (it's just a brand name), the site is ranking on Google page #2 for 'how to buy giraffe'.

Flawed? I would say incomplete, I spent exactly 30 seconds analyzing the site, but it was enough to see where link juice is coming from.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Of course you are correct, @senkoduras. Have a great day.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
You too, @Rev.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Somebody should time how long it takes to read an article. Then look at how many people land on thst article and hoe long they stay.

I started to read an article abt Cam Newton. I gave up before I got to the part where the article delivered what was promised in the title.....again
Post 24 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
I came here with a tub of popcorn. Was not disappointed.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@KitK LOL
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I looked into an article that promised to deliver a text that somebody wrote that rescued a career.

The article was 2,288 words long. The text was not mentioned until word 1,052. And the content of the text? Not given.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You count too much.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Rev

You are, no doubt, right abt the count too much.

Last night at a Meetup I wrote abt a dozen different numbers on a whiteboard and explained how I came to know them and how they make me more efficient at what I do.

But then again, I may be losing some efficiency by spending time counting too much.

I think I just spun myself into a knot.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
You're right. I count too much.

1905 words for one post. Unsubscribe.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26902 31 30
destitute