BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksMeetupsTraffic

Can Meetup be a Good Source of Traffic?1567

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I took a look at my analytics today.

I have a Meetup this evening and I am keen to share some stats with them.

A question I had, "Is Meetup a good source of relevant traffic to sites?

I went back over one year and checked to see how much traffic is coming to billbelew.com and to forum.billbelew.com from Meetup.

What I can't see is how many people came from Meetup to the forum and then clicked thru to my home site and vice versa. So, those numbers aren't included.

In the past year there were 898 sessions on the forum from Meetup members. They spent on average 3 minutes and 55 secs per visit.

During that same time billbelew.com received 330 sessions from Meetup members. They spent on average 2 minutes an 9 secs per visit.

Is/was it worth it? I'll take quality visits from any source ... including Meetups.

How are you getting people to your site?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I'm learning how to get people to my site. I'm so grateful for my friend to follow and read the posts of my website.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I had a Meetup last night. There were abt 20 people signed up. 5 showed up not counting me.

2 fellows drove together abt 30-40 miles to be there.

Our Meetup started at abt 730 and we were going to stop at 9. There woukd be 15 mins of networking, 45 mins of Q and A and another 15 mins or so of networking.

Instead we jumped in with the first question at abt 10 mins after we got there. 2 hours later we were still going strong. 940 ish I stopped teaching.

Those fellows came a long way. I wanted so much to make it worth their time.

Question - how far will you go to overdeliver on what you had promised?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member Mscott2097 private msg quote post Address this user
I have gone farther than I was comfortable with but it was worth it later on. I have also over-delivered and the only loser was me.

@Bill Do you always over deliver or evaluate it case-by-case?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Mscott2097

I pretty much always over-deliver. But like you, I have been a loser more often than I want to admit.

Even so, I'd rather be faulted for being too generous than too stingy.

Here in the Valley where I live sharing generously is more taken advantage of than other places I have been.

In my past, people tend to want to reciprocate for a kindness or for your time.

Here in Silicon Valley people get all they can get out of you and you are more likely than not to never see them again. It's a different culture.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think you are ever a loser when you over deliver. Oh, sure, your stats will show you got no direct returns from the time you spent teaching your heart out to three measly attendees to an event booked for 40. Not one of those three ever got back to you or showed up again. Blah!

But those stats are bogus!

Remember the guy that contacted you a couple of weeks ago out of nowhere? Or that girl that came to your meet-up last week and never did say how she found out about you? Or the person that joined the forum all the way from Timbuktu?

Yeah, those people!

That guy heard about you from a friend of a friend of a friend of one of those three measly attendees. And that girl knows this guy who hangs out with another one. And the guy in Timbuktu? He reads a blog where the blogger posted about attending this presentation where almost no one showed up but it turned out to be awesome anyway.

Stats? Knock yourself out. But if you want results, over deliver. Always.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Those are good thoughts. I suppose whether I see the results now, later or never, it's why when given the opportunity I will always give more than what is expected.

But when is over delivering really giving too much?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

"But when is over delivering really giving too much?"

The teaser says, "20 minute informative presentation packed with actionable material you can put to use immediately. Stay to the end for a special bonus."

The session begins, and continues, with nothing but repetitive, useless drivel and runs on for a full hour with more of the same -- a dozen identical examples to prove some obscure point that was made, surely, by the third one.

And the bonus? Nothing but a pitch for a paid webinar where you will, supposedly, get the real information you thought you were coming for in the first place.

That really is "too much" and is all too common in the marketplace.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I had a guest speaker at a MU not long ago ... for a 45 minute presentation.

Honest to goodness... 3 hours later he was still rambling on. Whether he paid me or not ... enough was enough. Too much was way too much.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29615 9 9
destitute