BillBelew.com
Brainstorming

Interviewing a potential client/partner1570

Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I believe in the importance of compatibility in business relationships but I often struggle with asking the right questions when screening people whom might potentially become my clients or partners. Certainly money is a motivation but I want to be united with the people I work with.

What sorts of questions do you ask people before agreeing to take them on as clients?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Clients and partners are different animals to me.

I have learned very early on to ask potential clients, "Do you have a budget?"

This simple question now saves me a lot of time. Their answer will determine their commitment. No budget = no plan. Small budget = limited vision or limited resources. Budget = balanced strategy. Significant budget = long term commitment.

Once I know their level of commitment I can move on.

Does this help?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Belew It certainly seems like it would be a qualifier that will help them define their vision and commitment with you.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
When people would ring up about their problem dog I gave them the opportunity to speak. I'd ask them to tell me about the problem and off they went ...
I'd take notes and then guide them by addressing them by name. I'd also use the dog's name a lot.

It helped connect my solution to their unique problem when in fact my solution was quite generic and I just had to tweak it s bit to fix most naughty dogs.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

Plz plz don't let my wife see this.

She'll be calling you abt this naughty dog and asking how to fix me, er, it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
You'd be surprised how often wives asked me that .... I'd ask, "Does he like dried liver?" 😨
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

I'd do anything if I did NOT have to eat dried liver.

Consider me trained!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Negative training techniques work on people too I see!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger Even this is my struggle too.

@belew I can learn this from you or else I can't make a living.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
There is an interview technique called the "go wide go deep" whereby you ask a question for example...

What does success look like...

An extra 100,000 visitors to my website...

You then go wide ....

And what does this success allow you to do ...

It allows the website to generate more sales
It make my job secure
I should be able to get a pay rise
etc

As you can see .... what started out as a simple answer, once drilled down gives you all sorts of useful info ... which you can then use ... for example to generate more sales you might not need more visitors only better conversion rates ... so by doing this you achieve his real goals ... and not his perceived one.

As to the questions ... well, make your questions different from everyone elses if you want to be remembered
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Steve Fantastic technique! I think you hit the nail (at leastfor me)here.

A sample of the the 4-5 InMail messages I get most days from people asking for my help:

Dear Benjamin, I hope you are fine I'm looking for guy drive my website animal.direct to the first 3 results in google animal.direct is an animal and pets online marketplace targeting US If you are interested in it m kindly send me you proposal and estimated time you need to reach that results best regards, Anass Habrah h.anos(at)hotmail.com

First off, I am glad I am getting discovered... but I don't know even where to even start the discussion there... I am pretty sure its going to end up like this "What do you mean by you can't guarantee or give me top 3 Google ranking?" and I would respond- "There are no guarantees with Google- if you want to blow through cash and not think about long term traffic- invest in PPC. What other things are you looking at? What are your real goals?" Than there will be this loop thing where he ignores the penetrating questions and he repeats his desired end result. I believe there needs to be a baseline understanding that underpins our conversation. If they're unwilling to learn it in the beginning than how can I teach or show them the value of it later?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I wouldn't want to be interviewed by @Steve. He'd make me think too much.

@lunar_ranger

I'd reply by telling your would-be client that the measurement is NOT top 3 Google ranking, but more organic visits.

Who cares what you rank for if nobody is searching that term?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
29722 12 12
destitute