BillBelew.com
InspirationMotivation

Why Do Ups & Downs Feel More Dramatic?1586

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Why do ups and downs feel so much more dramatic for the solopreneur?

I had a really lousy day this week.I mean really disheartening.

The next day was a terrific day.

Or is it just a feeling? Or perhaps I am using the wrong data points to measure by.

Do you experience dramatic shifts in your outlook? How do you handle them?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member MLHarris private msg quote post Address this user
When it comes to dealing with other people I think it's just to remember some of the stuff that comes out of their mouth is about them not me.

Take a couple or a few deep breaths, don't react, hug a tree (too wet right now) remember the things that bring me happiness. Stop take a break. Call a friend - this will cheer them up and me. Stop and go help someone else. Take a coffee or tea break. Just say NEXT! I hope this helps.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I try to find something to hope for-there has got to be something to move you forward.

When my thoughts are racing or trending at a downward angle I try to stop, collect my thoughts, center myself, at times prayer/meditation has been powerful in shifting my attitude. I try to find an anchor if I don't slip away.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I am interested to know if the ups feel way up and the downs feel way down?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
It might be that time of month..

But really we all experience these ups & downs - besides reminding us that we're alive I was just pointing out to someone earlier this week that our human frailty is designed that way.

When we're coasting, we can be moving 1 mph or 100 mph. The only way we notice it is looking up & seeing the world race by.

That frog in the boiling water story captures how we're not aware of gradual changes as much as ones suddenly in our face. (Thought it was also interesting how some folks are trying to dispel this.. while others are trying to prove it!)

This is why news sells, and we worry about . Meanwhile, we struggle with the "silent killers" like heart disease and diabetes.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." Frederick Nietzsche

Same thing with depression, anxiety, and every other demon a person will encounter. Strive for balance by having an appreciation of the good times, and an acknowledgement/acceptance of all the in-between and shit times. You can't be attached to feeling any particular way.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
While I'm all for tough love, slowly I've been learning how it's got to be tempered with the idea of walking a mile in someone else's shoes.

Listening to Jenny Lawson's semi-biographical but 100% hilarious and touching story, Furiously Happy, I realized that things like depression can indeed be conditions that require treatment.

So, whether someone is able to ask for help or not, we all need to watch out for each other. I've been there myself - when I once asked the ship's doctor to keep an eye on me.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Tonyyakovlev private msg quote post Address this user
It doesn't depend on solopreneurship, it depends on personality.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Tonyyakovlev

Why do you think that?

Maybe solopreneurs have that king of personality?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew I think it comes down to the emotional investment and capital a solopreneur makes in order for their business to succeed. Some personality types tend to be more resilient towards change, some respond well to internal and external threats, some managing and moderate stress better, and some intuitive maintain balance in professional and personal settings. I don't believe all these positive traits can reside simultaneously in an individual. It seems like you have to assume or mimic the characteristics of all these personality traits- in order to be successful. There are more internal dependencies at play here.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
28242 10 10
destitute