BillBelew.com
BloggingBusiness AdviceWordPress

Transferring Weebly Website to Wordpress?1603

TrueTeamEnergy private msg quote post Address this user
I need some advice. I have bought a domain name on GoDaddy and then built a simple website using Weebly. I like the clean look of the theme I used on Weebly and already paid to upgrade my site to use the domain from GoDaddy. I also like that its clean on mobile devices. Based on Bill's Advice I now want to move this site to WordPress before I start adding blog content so I can maintain control over the content as I grow my online brand.

The goal of the website is to provide training to my network marketing team and to attract new leads for my business.

I would like to easily be able to add daily blog posts that include short videos.

How difficult would it be to move over the weebly? Would it be better to pay a developer?

What are recommended beginner steps to setting up wordpress (I am assuming wordpress.org because the .com looks like a similar parkage to weebly)
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure about the design but this link (click here) should help you with content.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Correct me if I'm wrong @Steve @Rev @Belew or any of the knowledgeable folks here..

..but isn't it better to a "phased migration" - i.e. ween your traffic by giving announcements, set up the new site & start sending traffic over..

..unless, of course, it's still the early stages of the original site. But if there's significant traffic, it seems like a waste to have it drop by.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
As he hasn't started blogging it should be a simple case of porting the site over in one go... and then setting up 301 redirects as needed... that way you lose no traffic ... and get it sorted super fast.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
So, does this mean I can take my Weebly blog and add the posts to my existing WP blog?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Google reader has stopped working so the instructions from WP beginner are not longer valid
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@TrueTeamEnergy

There are different things to know/do here. The first is:

1. Don't use Weebly or other "free" hosting services for your website.

Of course, that ship has already sailed, so:

2. You could keep your Weebly site, if you really like it and don't think you could duplicate it in WordPress. Add a free WordPress blog (http://wizardsplace.com/" target="_blank">http://wordpress.com/) and link a menu item on each out and back, or

3. You should be able to duplicate just about any look on WordPress with a theme like Woo Canvas. Moving the content may require a little effort to copy/paste but it shouldn't take long.

Since your site is relatively new I wouldn't worry about any SEO issues. Get the new setup going (#2 or #3 above) and get a volume of blog posts and you will get traffic going anew.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
25019 7 7
destitute