BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInfluencer Marketing

Churches are not immune to influencer appeal1612

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am a preacher in a previous life. Ok, I still am. From time to time I get asked to step in as an interim preacher while churches look for someone full-time to fill a slot.

I hang out from time to time in a Facebook group for preachers from a Bible college I attended and their sister colleges.

There's an ongoing discussion on whether a certain high profile Christian athlete should be asked to speak at a yearly conference even that athlete is a bit different 'flavor' of Christian. (Sad that churches have different colors/flavors of Jesus to be sure.)

It occurred to me that preachers and churches are not immune to the appeal and glitter that an influence might bring to their cause.

Why is it that we think that people will respect us more if someone of a celebrity stature embraces our cause?

Influencer marketing and its nuances intrigue me on many different levels.

Do we really want to be in the position to ask somebody to tell somebody that we are somebody?

Isn't there a better way?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Churches (formal religion) of all stripes really are little more than influencer marketing pits. It isn't about truth, or even message, it's all about the sizzle. Sad, actually.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

You may be more right than wrong. I do want to believe their is a remnant that still exists within the church that are pure.

Elijah found them. Nehemiah found them. Where are they now?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I have met the churches that still believe in the truth. Currently, I am attending one where the cell members are committed Christians. And I am resting from my burnt out.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
I am invited to speak to a large group of churches and missionaries to teach them best practices online.

What would you teach them?

Where would you start?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev, what about informal religion? Didn't Jim Jones lead one of those?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel

I wouldn't necessarily call Jim Jones' outfit "informal" -- non-traditional or not mainstream, some might argue, but even there it could be said they were more "traditional" in the in the sense of how Jesus taught.

No doubt Jones was into influence marketing.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I just sat with some boys from the church where I am preaching part time.

We talked abt marketing for their dry cleaners.

One popped up. "Marketing is just like evangelism!"

They really are similar.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Hmm. Marketing is like evangelism?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29623 9 9
destitute