BillBelew.com
HumorProductivity

How Long Do You Keep Emails Marked to Read?1615

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I finally found some time, more like resolve, to clear out my marked emails to read, delete or forward.

July 22, 2015! Yikes! This email sat in my box for more than 6 months before I finally got around to reading it.

But I gave up. 5,033 words. That's probably why I didn't read it in the first place ... or now ... or ever. Too long.

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
January 1 (or so) I delete all email up to June 30 of the previous year. On July 1 (or so) I delete all email up to December 31 of the previous year.

I used to go through the email before deleting "just in case" but now I "just delete".

If I haven't dealt with it in that amount of time, it ain't gonna happen.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

This is good insight. At the end of each month I usually go back to the previous year for that month. But not always.

I knew a fellow who shared an insight: "Do you know what happens when all of a sudden you lose ALL of your emails? Even those you haven't read yet?"

"Nothing. Life goes on. And if it's important enough, they'll contact you again."
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Yep. It's not big deal to lose everything and start over. Who was the millionaire real estate wiz-kid who used to say you could take it all away, give him $100 with which to start, and by the end of the week he'd be back on top?

I used to do the month to month thing too, until I realized it was giving my old email more attention than it deserved. I switched to the semi-annual thing a couple of years ago and it has worked just fine. And I don't clock it. Note the "or so" in my previous post.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I am not as disciplined as I let on.

I usually do it when I am bored or waiting for smth somewhere unexpectedly.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I am guilty of the emails too.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew @Rev I made it easy on myself, my computer needed a format and I did not have a backup of my outlook. Thereby, all my saved emails went away - now to start hoarding over again.....
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

How much trouble was it to lose all those old emails?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew You know I thought it was the end of the world - at first anyway - in the long run, I never gave it another thought---goes to show that saving them was just a habit. If something is really important, I tend to act on it right away or make notes in OneNote so it is there when I want it.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
28689 9 9
destitute