BillBelew.com
Business AdviceCareer AdviceNewbie

How should I price my CM services?1632

Runbillrun34 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm building a content marketing startup focused on nonprofit orgs and small businesses. Any idea what I should charge for my services: Content Marketing, Communications, Social Media, Email Marketing, Public Relations, Graphic Design, Branding, and Website Design.
This is my first post, so please forgive me if it's inappropriate to leave my email address: (ED) Please contact me via the inmail here.

With gratitude,
Bill
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Runbillrun34

Are you a runner!? Been there done that.

Another Bill (Will Rogers) is famous for saying, "It's not what you can ask, its's what you can get."

Depending on the nature of the work ... estimate how long it will take to deliver it ... know your salary/hr ... do the math.

That's a start.

What kind of work are you wanting to estimate?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
The services I offer are the ones I listed at the end of my post. I'm distinguishing myself by offering ongoing services to organizations who cannot afford to pay for full-time staff. In that same vein I'm not interested as much and what I can get as what I can offer organizations who do good work and need help promoting themselves so they can do more work.

As for me personally I'm trying to get back towards my peak which was running the 2011 Chicago Marathon .
Post 3 • IP   flag post
I saw your list of services. It will be a tough call to deliver all of them at a high level. Curious to know where is your strength?

I have never run a marathon. I have run 4 marathons in a row (almost) in one day = a 100 miler.

marathoners are too fast for me.

I keep going once they have petered out.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
In my experience people often associate value with price... if you price your services to cheaply then the people that buy them will not associate any real value with them.

As to your services ... way to broad a range, niche down if you want to become known for something ... you cannot offer everything, so offer something you are passionate about and then become known as being the best at it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
The rule of thumb is don't be cheaper....be better.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Runbillrun34 - our ROTC unit used to volunteer for the Chicago marathon as a fundraiser for midshipmen events.

I was recently inspired to write about my marathon experiences - @johnchang/that-dreaded-mile-18-85ae30c7c876#.aw4kosqik" target="_blank">That Dreaded Mile 18

But as @Steve said, narrowing things down makes it easier, not just for you to be more clear - but also for the right folks to find you.

And you can never charge more than enough, only more than clients are willing to pay. They'll tell you when they can't afford you. Depending on your workload, you can decide whether it's still worth your time to work with them.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Runbillrun34 It's better for you to narrow down or else headache and a lot of stress. Now I thank many friends to help me to narrow down my focus point to be good at.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I guess I should clarify. My goal is to help NPOs who haven't been able to get into strategic content marketing by showing them how each of those 8 areas are interconnected. I don't expect I'd be able to offer every one of those services to every client myself. My expertise would be building and executing a communication strategy for NPOs who don't have the resources to do it themselves. I expect most NPOs won't need or want all 8 services, which is why I need to price each out individually or as Packages.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Runbillrun34 - haven't seen your site but I think you know that there are many types of nonprofits.

Working with developing dance communities is going to speak a very different language from a cultural advocacy group. And within each category there's going to be even finer hairs split.. tango vs. swing, Chinese vs. Hispanic.

Your strongest "social proof" will be sharing stories of folks you've helped and what they've achieved with your help. This is the type of content that nonprofits use to "sell" themselves.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @runbillrun34,
The term "integrated marketing communications" (IMC) comes to mind. Everything you list in your first post is a part of it.

Last week, I had a conversation with the owner of an advertising agency. We talked about these topics and how they all fit together with respect to the market you are targeting

If you are helping an NPO serving millennials or serving seniors, you are in a position to guide them to a more appropriate solution. Pull in experts as you need them. You will make more as orchestrator.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@morrnel an orchestrator sounds like an ideal end goal. I think you've hit the nail on the head with "Integrated Marketing Communications." Having worked in NPOs, I've seen first hand how they are unable to take advantage of opportunities simply because they don't have the time and experience in these fields.
Now I still have to figure out how to generate enough revenue to build my orchestra.
Thanks for your feedback!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
A grand an hour will get you a million in 1000 hours. Half to two thirds goes support and other expenses. Half to taxes and you have $150k clear
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@morrnel while I honestly chuckled a bit at the thought of charging $1,000/hour, I realize it's only because I've started this endeavor by targeting the portion of the NPO market that has little to no existing financial investment in IMC. Subconsciously, I guess I assumed if a client could afford to pay that much money, they could afford to hire someone full-time and shouldn't need my help.

I think a parallel conversation needs to be had regarding where (read: to whom) I should be offering my services. Admittedly, my nonprofit bleeding heart says I should focus on why I'm doing this (to help NPOs do more good)rather than how I can generate a large sum of money--however I realize I can't impact anyone if I'm broke.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
There you have it! A starting point to throw darts at. When you outsource components of the project they may not be interested "bleeding heart" approach.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Runbillrun34 - you may want to talk with my friend, Dyan Ferguson. I know that she's faced similar challenges with helping a veteran's organization to grow and getting the response that they don't have funds for her help.

Having co-founded a nonprofit, all I can really say is that it's definitely a scarcity mindset thing.

Now what I do is to help entrepreneurs connect with like minds. Your success are definitely the "average of the five people you spend the most time with.."
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Maybe Dyan can contact me.

I know that Google will give $10K monthly in free adwords to qualifying non-profits. Maybe this will get her started?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@jycmba I'd love to talk to Dyan. It doesn't look like she's active on Twitter. Facebook may seem too personal. Would you send me her contact info?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
26083 18 18
destitute