BillBelew.com
Career Advice

How do we write interesting articles faster?1638

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
At best I'm getting out 1 maybe 2 articles a day. The actual writing doesn't take too long - it's the research, which isn't even really that in-depth compared to old school reporter standards.

So, what can we do to crank out more - without sacrificing quality?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

I spent at most 1 hour on any article from conception to publish.

This is a great talking point for this evening.

I think the key is to write what you know. I got a bit hung up on a researched point yesterday but even that didn't deter me too long.

I have posts written a day or two in advance.

I'll pound smth out on 15-20 mins and let it germinate for a day. The next day I can spend another 15 mins making changes and adding formatting IN the BN UI. It takes 5-10 min to find aND tailor an img. I then hit publish.

Truth is I could almost always do better. Rather I challenge myself to do posts in under an hour and give my best considering the self imposed time limit.

Dies that help?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba I spend around the same amount of time as @Belew. I get ideas about what I want to write, write it and then fill in the gaps with the research after the fact. It is always best to get the ideas down when they come to mind.

For me, the biggest challenge is getting the right headline and the right image for the article.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust @jycmba

headlines are fun for me to write ... and I admit I haven't figured it out yet. BN headlines are NOT SEO friendly.

Since ppl are being pushed there that headline appeal is essential.

Images come easy to me... I reuse my Wilbys and change the bubble text for each ... next!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@belew @jycmba I don't have Wilbys so here is what I am doing when pointing at politicians and celebrities
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I get a good idea or a good prompt for an article ... and have to stop myself ... it's a good idea for long-tail performance.

BN wants stuff with a short shelf-life
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@bdaoust @Belew - I tend to create screen captures from Twitter posts since most of my articles are based on what's trending.

This creates a REALLY short shelf life, but I figure that I get some added boost from riding a trend wave.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
When I have a shorter shelf life, I reach out to a 5r who can deliver more in a shorter time span.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
28670 8 8
destitute