BillBelew.com
SEO

Is Giving External Links a Dead Strategy?1651

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It used to be (still is?) good form to link out to other relevant sites.

But that strategy now seems to be dying or may already be dead.

The problem with linking out is that too often the destination site goes belly up and you end up sending ppl nowhere which in the end hurts the home site.

If you link to a news site, that link eventually gets archived and in the end you are linking to a protected area ... more poor form.

If you link to some other long established site ... they won't do anything reciprocal but will appreciate the backlink making them more visible and you even less so.

Is creating external links dead?

Click =>Call Me: for 20 mins FREE 1-on-1 with Bill Belew
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I suppose it depends on your motives too.

I often link to external urls to promote a worthwhile program and share good ideas for dog training and children's literacy.

I might not get a back link but somewhere in the universe it might do someone some good and that matters to me, and I hope to my followers too.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

That's all good. The problem is when the other site goes defunct and your link breaks. They stopped and it hurts you now, too.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

That's why they make broken link checkers.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I use a paid WordPress hosting company and they will not allow broken link checker plugin. It's a great plugin but apparently a real bandwidth suck.

What do you recommend?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
It would seem to me that a broken link checker would be no more stressful than Google scanning your website. It's not something you need to run minute by minute.

I'd switch hosting companies.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Switching hosting companies has never been an easy thing in my experience.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
A broken link checker needn't run 24/7. Run it periodically to spot and fix/remove faulty links.

A hosting company that controls which plugins you can run is definitely worth changing.

Last time I moved hosting I took 80+ sites along for the ride. It wasn't fun but it was better than staying with less than satisfactory service. Over a year later, and with 108 sites, I'm very satisfied with where I am now.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
That's what I do. I run the broken link checker....get the report then uninstall. Good tip!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Moving servers is pretty straight forward. Just need the right tool.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
28724 10 10
destitute