BillBelew.com
BloggingContent CreationOrganic SearchSEO Advice

Recent Thoughts On Copyright1656

Rev private msg quote post Address this user
There was a thread some months back on copyright issues but it's been archived so I starting another one to share an interesting five post series of blog posts on this issue.

The posts, titled Copyright and Trademarks… What’s Legal? can be found on The Book Ninja blog. There are other good posts there too so the link is to the blog home page. It's worth your time to look around a bit.

I thought this was worth sharing, not only because of the copyright series -- a topic that has been raised here more than once -- but also because of the concept of breaking what might have been a very long post into five "Bill-sized" posts. Nice.

The SEO values on that site (another oft discussed topic here) are not bad either.

Click =>Call Me: for 20 mins FREE 1-on-1 with Bill Belew
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev

Anything you send us to is most certainly worth the read.

The best way to avoid copyright issues is to create original stuff.

Less than 1% of all stuff online is original. Everything else is just people moving stuff around.

How do you know if it's original to you? If it came from your head and thru your fingers and you hit publish. It *might* be original.

Thanks!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
How do you find out your idea is stolen?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@tienny

Ideas are free. You can't steal them.

It is your work that can be stolen and you find that out when you see it coming back to you from someone else. There are tools that can help track this, and you can even Google key phrases from your work to see where it might be found online.

But why bother. You are not likely to take action against anyone who uses it -- copyright infringement actions cost real money -- so knowing only makes you upset. Instead, spend your effort making your next product/program/service and do better for yourself.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@rev Yes, it costs real money. Recently, a comic artist contacted a vietnam publisher to publish her artwork without permission. She informed the publisher and her fans also know about it. In the end, the publisher paid her.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
DansCartoons private msg quote post Address this user
simple fact of the matter these days, is once I draw a cartoon....it's automatically copyrighted. If someone were to lift/steal or publish it without my consent, I can legally pursue it. These stipulations are set forth in updated copyright laws that were instituted at the Berne Convention. Digitally, web designers and marketers online need to study and know more about the DCMA Digital Copyright Millennium Act....it has laws and stipulations set forth in your own best interest....look that up and study it.
Other aspects to keep in mind are online tools are "CopyScape", you can screen online text to verify it's authenticity and originality.....knowing a few simple tips and tricks can save you a lot of angst & aggravation.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

It's not abt whether you have the rights or not to the material, it's more about do you have the means to pursue those who steal from you.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I have over 5000 cartoons categorized throughout my online web catalog. Over the many years it has ppropogated on the web, very few of my cartoons have been published without my permission. Using Google reverse image search helps, as does TinEye and I am also allowing Cartoonstoc k ro pursue those they find, who use my work without my permission.....and I split a "finder's fee" with them, since they have a proprietary software they use in order to locate pirated cartoons of mine., so in that sense, I do have the means. And as previously mentioned, my DansCartoons has been "out there" on the web and I have yet to see a BIG violation. You need to watermark your stuff, emphasize your copyrights etc. too. Being proactive helps....
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

That's all really good stuff... and excellent advice for folks just like you.

Do you create/tailor cartoons on request?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Custom cartoons are a specialty Bill....I've been doing it for over 30+ years. Doing what I do, I've learned over as many years on how to negotiate rights, image licensing rights, copyrights to existing images and to those I create etc. Trial & error, along the way.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

You are deep with information that can only be gained from experience.

Have you considered teaching other artists the ins and outs of what you have learned?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I was once asked by a local art teacher to do this. I asked if they had an honorarium available, he said no. I turned him down. I would rather set up a ciriculum and do something right as opposed to talking to just art school kids. However, most people want you to "donate" your time. I can't do that simply from the standpoint is it would infringe on my current client base (I do this for my livliehood).
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

Of course you will not do this for free.

Everybody wants smth for free. Many of us here have been there and done that. Not for me either.

You have a gold mine in your archives and a platinum mine in your experience.

There's something there for you ... and for others.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
thanks for reaffirming Bill....over as many years, I also have had "can you allow free use of your cartoon....", I have to supply them with a polite "no thanks".....alas, the nature of the beast
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@DansCartoons

If I had a dime for every piece of good information I gave away for free... Oh! Wait! I already do!!!

Remember, those school kids grow up quickly and become potential clients.

Some of my highest paying, longest running, clients started out looking for free solutions. I was there with the right answers and they came back when they knew it was time to start paying.

I know. Your work is different. Right.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Sharing generously = building trust.

If people take from you and don't pay, they weren't going to pay anyway.

If ppl take from you and you earn their trust, they will in time pay you to do it for them or teach them how or some combination ... but then I may be wrong.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
27480 17 17
destitute