BillBelew.com
FeedbackProductivity

Sometimes I feel like writing, sometimes I .1676

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
How do you motivate yourself to write when you don't feel like it?

How do you know when you have written yourself into the ground and need to take a break?

Click =>Call Me: for 20 mins FREE 1-on-1 with Bill Belew
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
When it feels like I've run out of writing steam (which is rare), I read. Ideas are everywhere but because I'm aiming for a specific market, I read what others have written to that market.

If I need to take a break, I take one. I know that the well never really runs dry but sometimes just needs a little priming.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay

that's great advice. I have books on my Kindle that I am reading, too. Hmm... maybe.

But I also assign myself a quota of words/posts/day. And I want to get them out.

I wonder how other writers manage to meet a self-imposed quota when they don't feel like writing.

Read... tempted, tempted. Thanks for the reminder.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
jewellswriter private msg quote post Address this user
How many words/posts a day do you write, Bill, and everybody else? What's your quota?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
With writing and especially blog posts I find that provided I am a week or two in advance then the act of writing is a lot easier than having to sit down and write because you have to post something...

By working in advance I can also take days off when I like, etc... whilst on other days I'll write a week or more's worth of posts...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jewellswriter

I am working on a project now where I push myself to write at least 2 posts/day of 400 words each = 800 words.

How about you?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Writing in advance is good form unless you are tasked with writing abt smth that happened in the last 72 hours or will nobody will care abt 72 hours from now.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Real time marketing.... now that is pressure ...
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Yup, yup.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I haven't set any goals for myself as yet, which is a big problem. I'm pretty sure I could write 800 words a day. Sounds doable, especially if it's two separate posts. I like the idea of setting goals AND writing writing posts in advance. Thanks! My biggest obstacle is I'm always trying to create a perfect post.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@jewellswriter

Better to do something than nothing.

Better to hit publish and move on to the next post than to keep polishing and see nothing for it.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
You are so right! It's one thing to know it and it's another thing to do it.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I write about 2.5k words a day in about 8 different posts on varied and different topics ... my hurt brains
Post 13 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
Funny! I was felling VERY unmotivated today. No matter I try to push myself, I cannot get the creative juices flowing. I am glad I am not the only one who feels like this every now and then.

I was staring at the screen, switching from Youtube, Facebook, this forum, the Wordpress article writing screen, some Google searches for my target topic of the day, then back... I did that from 9am to 10:30am. I just produced the blog title.

Since it was Friday anyway, I just posted something pre-written by someone else for me and I took the day off. Visited my parents and my dogs (they borrowed them last week) then went to the arcade (yes, I am a little kid) and played then met my wife from work and took her on a dinner before she leaves for a company outing.

I might play in the arcade again tomorrow.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@KitK Sometimes it's important to just write.

Shopping lists
To do lists
Journals
... are all good starters.

The physical and mental act of writing will open up your brain and the words will flow.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@KitK

A little kid with a wife!!?? Scary.

I have 5 tabs opened with ideas begging me to do something with.

Yet, here I am.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
DrAA private msg quote post Address this user
When I feel empty, no motivation, no ideas, no mood for writing - even I am not tied by necessity to write - I go outside. For nice drive, look at the nature, to be in silence. Or simply sleeping. Sometimes that's helps. That's the style of introvert
Post 17 • IP   flag post
24991 17 17
destitute