BillBelew.com
BacklinksOrganic SearchProductivitySEOSEO Advice

Programming languages for digital marketers?1717

Member Guru_genius private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,
Please I need some advice on which programming languages are the best and most important to learn and master for a professional digital marketing practitioner.
I would really appreciate a most relevant to least relevant type list. Thank you

Click =>Call Me: for 20 mins FREE 1-on-1 with Bill Belew
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Guru_genius

I'm not sure that ANY programming languages are needed for digital marketing. What's needed is a thorough understanding of marketing and the new paradigms that engage us in the digital marketplace.

Are you speaking to programming your own web properties or mobile apps? The languages for doing so have nothing specifically to do with marketing -- it is the application or outcome that focuses on marketing. The programming is common across disciplines.

For online programming in general you will want to know:

HTML
PHP
MySQL
JQuerry
C++ (or one of it's derivatives)
JavaScript
Ruby
Python

...in no particular order (sorry) and a thorough understanding of ADA, PERL, LISP, and a multitude of libraries for any of the above.

If you already program successfully in an Object Oriented Programming (OOP) language,you should be able to migrate and adapt to any of these.

Having a solid understanding of programming can help connect the dots in any area of online presence but, if you are seriously interested in digital marketing, put your effort into understanding the application of your specific subject area and hire the programming done.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks for the well detailed response.

I actually want to know how to put static images on a website from the back end, but I don't know how to go about it. I think it requires some knowledge of coding, I'm not sure?

I learnt it's very important for a digital marketing practitioner to understand how basic web technologies such as HTML and CSS works, including hosting fundamentals such as how to use FTP to transfer files to a server. Unfortunately, I don't know any of these and I'm worried hiring the programming would leave me completely at the mercy of others.

Also, a friend recently advised me that as a digital marketing enthusiast, I must learn how to code. He said I should pick a language, and that if I can't decide I should choose python. I'm thinking about starting with that first, what do you think?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Guru_genius

While Python could be useful, and learning that type of language would be a foundation for learning any other -- so go ahead and do that if you are so moved -- I have been building websites, hundreds, perhaps thousands of them, since 1994 and have never once wished I had learned Python.

Unless you are actually going to be building hand-coded websites or coding modules (templates, themes, plugins, apps) for website systems, then you don't need to learn the heavy stuff.

For what you describe I would suggest you learn these:

1. HTML
2. CSS
3. PHP
4. MySQL

(in that order) and, at the same time, start learning all you can about WordPress. A good place to start: http://wizardsplace.com/ -- begin with the Programs tab --> Free Programs.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thank you so much! You've been a huge help.

I'm definitely bookmarking this page for reference and would go straight to learning the 4 core languages in the order you suggested and save Python for last (if necessary).

Also, I've been blogging using blogspot for a while now and I've always felt the urge to learn to use WordPress as well but never did, I guess I needed a push such as this. I'll start learning it right away too. Thanks again!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
29390 5 5
destitute