Business AdviceProductivity

Have you ever hired a coach?1725

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Was it worth it to you?

What'd you learn?

Click =>Call Me: for 20 mins FREE 1-on-1 with Bill Belew
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
In my experience those in business online who have a coach, a mentor, and/or a business guide, tend to do better than those who don't. Coaches, themselves, should have coaches or mentors, too. Professional growth is also important for those who "do".

Of course, the right match is important. You need someone who knows what they are doing AND who is the right fit for you.

I have learned extensively from my own coaches and mentors over the years. I currently pay for professional coaching from a top marketing guru, just as I offer my services as a mentor or guide to others.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Respect goes out to you!

I have never had a coach .... but not because I didn't want one.

Long story....
Post 3 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Other than business & financial results - how do you determine what a right fit is?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew

And...?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

First you should understand what you are getting...

Forbes (the business publication) tells us, "The ultimate purpose of either coaching or mentoring is to enhance the knowledge, skills, and abilities of individuals so that they can ingincrease their performance on the task for which they receive coaching or mentoring."

In my understanding, there are actually three types of critters out there. Definitions and purpose will vary in other views.

Coach - while coaching is supposed to focus on the task at hand to help the student learn the attitude, behavior and skills needed to perform a specific function successfully, coaches often tend to be more about concepts, pumping you up, keeping you going. Those who don't believe in it call it "hype"; those that do, "motivation".

Whatever their discipline or niche, coaches are often younger, passionate, and dipped in a specific style. In many cases they haven't actually played the game themselves, but they know the rules. That may or may not work for some.

In some fields, in some jurisdictions, coaches require licensing. A good personal fit, a feeling of comfort when working together, is often considered good but being pushed outside your comfort zone leads to better results. You don't have to like your coach. Coaches will generally work for you as long as you pay them. It's a "job". They get "hired" (or contracted).

Mentor - The mentoring relationship tends to be significantly more personal. A bond forms at some level and, for the arrangement to work, there must be a good fit -- an acceptance and understanding of the roles, while still being drawn out of your shell. The process involves less formal transmission of knowledge, and more social or motivational support, relevant to the work, career, or professional development of the recipient.

Mentoring often occurs over a sustained period of time, and mentors tend to have greater relevant knowledge, wisdom, or experience, which can be passed along to their charges, often called protégé, apprentice, or even mentee. In the past mentors more often took their charges "under their wing" and worked with them "just because". These days it is more likely a paid professional relationship.

Guide - also a paid position, a guide is more narrowly focused, often to a single task, taking the individual (or group) charge from their current position (metaphorically) to their destination for the predefined result of a single goal. Think of the seasoned mountain man leading the wagon train full of green horns across the Great Divide.

I see myself mainly as a mentor, working closely with individuals, in a relationship that deals with business and online presence issues across a broad spectrum. My students (I prefer that term) and I continue to work together for months and sometimes years.

Occasionally I take on projects where I am more of a guide, dealing with a narrower, more focused, task, helping my student navigate from starting point to completion. When the task is done the arrangement ends, though sometimes it leads to another job or a more involved relationship as a mentor.

I would only refer to myself as a coach in the most generic of senses, typically when a person does not understand the concept of mentor or guide. I can't think when I last worked as a coach.

I do, however, mentor many coaches and recognize the significant value of the work they do.

Now, how to find the right fit...

Over time I have become good friends, sometime great friends, with the people I mentor (and with those who have mentored me, too). But friendship isn't the aim of the process. If you get the rest right, friendship may just develop. But, if you are in need of a friend, join a social group or get a puppy.

If you want a coach, mentor, or guide, find someone who actually knows about the subject at hand and, hopefully, knows more than you do. You don't even have to agree with them. In fact, if you think you know the answers then you probably aren't ready for the process.

When you realize that to move forward you need someone to show you the way and provide the answers (not the work; you'll do that!) then you are ready to take the first step.

Spend some time talking with a prospective coach, mentor, or guide. They will usually give you some free "get to know each other" time -- perhaps a half hour to an hour -- but you can expect to pay after that.

Keep in mind what you paid for college and what you really got for the money. That bit of parchment with your name on it may get you a job. An entrepreneur doesn't need one. A good coach, mentor, or guide, will introduce you to real solutions, not just textbook or boiler plate answers. There's no certificate. Just results.

Expect to find you don't know as much as you think you know. Be prepared to be open and to stretch beyond your current reach. And be ready to work. If you don't like work, hire a consultant and a development team. If you want to learn, understand, and succeed, get a good mentor. Chances are the consultant has one.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Typical @Rev!

Way above and beyond in his responses and sharing from experience.

I have always wanted a coach and a mentor but for various reasons it never worked out.

When I needed a guide more often than not in was thrown into the fire and left to fend for myself.

I wonder often how much farther I could have gone had there been somebody in my life to help me NOT relearn hard lessons.

I have made some incredible life altering decisions on my own. I am sure had there been someone to think them thru with, I could have made a better decision...and certainly a different one.

@rev. Is it ever too late to seek out a coach?

When do you know it's time to coach or time to be coached or both?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew

"Is it ever too late to seek out a coach?"

I'm not sure that I know the answer to that one. I hope to have a few years left and, if I can, I'll get a message to you closer to the end to let you know.

All I can go by is my own successful experience. I'll be 65 at the end of this year. When I was turning 60 I engaged a new mentor who provided invaluable material for new directions I was taking in my business. I reference this in my book, Wiz's Ten Steps To Staying Focused On Your Objectives.

Approaching 60 I had pretty much done it all and figured I knew pretty much everything. I hadn't. And I didn't. My mentor was the proverbial god-send that opened doors in the world, and in my mind; doors I hadn't yet found on my own.

So here I am approaching 65, still working with that same mentor and, in addition, over the last year I hired a new marketing coach. Do I want to spend the money? Probably not. Do I recognize the value? You betcha Red Rider!

"When do you know it's time to coach or time to be coached or both?"

If coaching is sharing what you know with others to make their path easier then I have been coaching most of my life -- certainly all my adult life -- as a natural bi-product of what I do. So, I would have to ask, rhetorically, "When is it NOT time to coach?"

To be coached is an entirely different animal. You probably want to be, should be, even need to be, coached whenever you are getting ready to tackle starting a new business (get the coach/mentor before you run into trouble!), starting a new plan (personal or business), or whenever making major changes or additions to your existing plan.

We seldom do it this way, more often then not opting to find the coach or mentor just past the point we desperately need them. However, starting before you need them and developing an on-going relationship is the better way. Your mentor gets to know you and your needs. You get to know what your mentor can do and what to ask to get it.

That said, why did I get a new mentor and a new coach (two different people) over the last five years? Because I out-lived my other three!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I really appreciate this exchange. Thanks for your well-thought out, firsthand-experience based replies.

When I was in the Navy I could not get a more senior officer to take me under his wing. There was a huge divide between how they chose to spend their times off the ship and the way I spent mine.

When I was in Japan, I could not get a more veteran missionary to take me under their wing. This still befuddles me. But in the end, the decisions I made right or wrong were my own.

When I started online a little more than a decade ago. It didn't occur to me to find a coach or mentor. I never could before so the idea never came to me.

I am far too stubborn at this point, distrusting maybe?, to find a mentor though I admit openly that I ache to find an experienced mastermind group to get in on. That escapes me as well.

So, I put my head down, and think ... and experiment ... and try to learn all the lessons AGAIN, sadly by making my own mistakes ... though not by choice.

It's just the way things have played out for me. I am not happy abt it ...
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Go on Blab -- http://blab.im -- and look up Charlene Burke. Attend a couple of her Blabs. You might have to get up early. Or watch replays. Then contact her about one of her masterminds.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Thanks for the tip.

I'll check it out.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
26912 11 11
destitute