BillBelew.com
FeedbackInspiration

What would you like to write a book about?1726

Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
I recently attended a writer's workshop on the heroine's journey, which differs from the masculine hero's journey in some respects.

Here is a great explanation: http://camytang.com/uploads/ditdat_writers/files/000/000/000000876.pdf
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Summerbay

Female and male journeys are different are like saying ppl are different, no?
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Belew Not exactly. Of course people are different but we're talking about crafting fiction here. Understanding the structure of a story and who its audience will be is the basis of good (and read) fiction.

It's like any craft. In painting, you have to know how colours mix and what good composition is. In woodworking, you have to know how different woods behave when used, etc.

In writing fiction, if you use Joseph Campbell's hero's journey and your intended readership is female, your book may not be as successful as you hope.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay

The question becomes 'am I writing for a target audience or am I doing what I want and hoping I attract an audience who is looking for someone like me?'
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Interviewer: "Why do you keep writing?"

Hemmingway: "There are still so many great stories to tell!"
Post 30 • IP   flag post

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Summerbay - I think that it's interesting that the worksheet talks about psychological differences between male / female characters.

There was little discussion of this in Campbell's time. Writers like Suzanne Collins had to "go where there is no path and leave a trail."
Post 31 • IP   flag post
@Belew You can do it both ways. It depends what your goals are. Regardless of what you write, it's never going to be for everyone, so keeping the perfect reader, who will love what you create, in mind, is a good way to focus your writing—if you hope to sell.

If selling isn't important to you, then you're writing for your own pleasure. That's also not a bad reason to do it. If readers find your work and like it, so much the better.

@jycmba Good point. A lot of things (past and present) are created by men for men with little regard or awareness that women don't experience the world in the same way as men. Hence, why I mentioned the heroine's journey. If you're writing about female characters, you need to be aware of these differences or you characters won't ring true.
Post 32 • IP   flag post
I wonder @Summerbay - if a guy can write a female character so well that his readers can't tell (Jack Nicholson quote notwithstanding..)
Post 33 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Definitely, and many have and do. Women can write male characters well, too. There are men who write as women (iunder a pseudonym) and women who write as men and no one knows.

My point is that it takes awareness. Writing well is a craft that one must learn.
Post 34 • IP   flag post
@Summerbay

You mean I have to *learn* how to write?

I can't just do what I want?
Post 35 • IP   flag post
@Belew You can do anything you want to, Bill.

Consequences are another matter entirely.
Post 36 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba Thanks on the video for a good reminder of hero's journey. May I clarify what do you mean by artists using lies to tell the truth?
Post 37 • IP   flag post
There's many definitions of what a lie is -

1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
Synonyms: prevarication, falsification.
Antonyms: truth.
2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture:
His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
3. an inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood.
4. the charge or accusation of telling a lie:

But the bottom-line is that it's something false or misleading, or a misdirection..

When you think about it, you can take a Van Gogh and it conveys more "truth" with its irregular strokes and colors than a photograph because they convey the feeling of a "starry night" -

Sometimes a film maker or writer can tell a made up story that rings more "true" than some of the headlines you read.

We can listen to the 1's and 0's of an MP3 and feel like we're in the room with a musician, even though that moment is long gone.
Post 38 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba It does makes sense.
Post 39 • IP   flag post
29726 39 14
destitute