BillBelew.com
BloggingBrainstormingFeedbackIntroductionNewbie

Newbie question: How many topics per site1752

Member weaverjs private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I am working through the planning stages of my first blog. Hosting, template, etc is good to go. I am now narrowing the focus on the content topic(s).

Query: Is it advisable (or not) to write about more than one topic on my blog site? Example: I plan to start with my normal work, I will blog about what I do for clients in my career. But I am also interested in other topics such as running, the theology of work, and several others. Should I (after some work on my first blog) house the "other" topics on a different site with a different domain? Or should I write about these other topics alongside my #1 content within my current domain (obviously with categories and searching capabilities)?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Generally speaking the more narrowly focused your blog the easier it is and better it is....

If you write about cup cakes for instance... it's easier to become known as an expert in cup cakes if that is all you write about... if you write about everything you'll find it almost impossible to achieve such a status.

But don't let me tell you what to do... what do I know and aren't rules meant to be broken sometimes?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@weaverjs

My general rule of thumb, is that a web site is warranted when you have a 1000 things you can write/say about your topic.

If you can only think of a 100, it's a category on a larger website.

Does this make sense?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew and @ Steve

Thank you, you confirmed my gut feeling on this. What I don't want is to be spread too thin and have the content feel like "this guys doesn't know what to write about."

Thanks
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@weaverjs

A big step is to start writing.

You will find your feet and your direction.

After a time you are likely to find that what you thought you could go on and on about .. you can't.

And other ideas will flow more effortlessly.

You will also find in your analytics that your audience is interested in something that you didn't think of.

You won't learn very much until you start hitting the publish button.

Nothing beats getting started.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@weaverjs

Good advice above. I find myself interested in lots of things. It's easy to stray off topic. So, I have a handful of blogs, each focused on a singular area of keen interest, and mostly for business. Then, I have a personal blog with the blog itself titled "Thoughts" where I can write about anything that moves me at the moment.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Thanks to all, great info. Now to get started....
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Be sure to send us a link. 8-)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@weaverjs - bottom-line is write about what your ideal reader is interested in. It may be one big topic with many subtopics - it may be a few key topics..

Of course, the challenge is that who you thought was ideal audience may turn out to very different..

Here's a short video about this -

Post 9 • IP   flag post
29714 9 9
destitute