BillBelew.com
BloggingContent CreationNewbie

Newbie Question #2: Day 1 content quantity1765

Member weaverjs private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I am fiddling and writing in preparation for my first blog launch. When I launch, how much content should already be on the site? Say I want to post once per week (52 times per year). Should I start day one with one post or maybe 20? I have heard 50% of your annual target.

Thanks!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@weaverjs

Start with one post.

Start today.

Something is always better than nothing.

No... that's dumb. You do NOT want to throw up 20 posts all at once as a "launch." That will do you know good.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
Start with one and post often.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew @Summerbay

Thank you!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@weaverjs

Why "in preparation for... launch"? If you don't already have it, get your domain, hosting, and basic WordPress (default theme) site in place TODAY and post your first post this evening.

By design, WordPress separates content from system so you can update and/or change your site readily without affecting content.

One thing you CANNOT do, if you wait until tomorrow, is go back to today to get started. Get that first post up. Hire it done if you have to, but do it TODAY!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Consider this... most people write their best articles when they start out... the trouble is no one ever reads them... it takes time and lots of articles to build an auixence... so get writing sooner
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member jaylperry private msg quote post Address this user
It's the word "launch" that gets me here.

If you already have a big group anticipating your site because you have hyped it and plan to "launch" big on a specific day with major traffic... Yes. Have 5-10 articles up.

Otherwise, write your first post and get it out there. Put up a couple of posts per week maybe. Even if you've written five or ten posts, schedule them to release later and pace your content.

One of the biggest mistakes bloggers make is putting up a bunch of content every day at the beginning and then neglecting the blog and making it feel like it's gone dry.

Commit now to a posting schedule that you can easily fulfill. Consistency will be key to building trust and attracting a loyal following.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jaylperry Thank you, I have read other sites for more info on this same topic and your response is spot on.

I have narrowed my focus, bought the domain and I am crafting the first content.

(And "fiddlin'" with the template as Belew would say)
Post 8 • IP   flag post
28670 8 8
destitute