BillBelew.com
BloggingIntroductionNetworkingNewbie

How can a poet get his works read?1788

PerversePoet private msg quote post Address this user
Good morning fellow hacks and scribes.

Having signed up to this noble forum I thought it would be rude of me not to pop in and say hi!

My real name is Michael but I've lived with that name now for almost 60 years and occasionally like to try something different. Batman or Ethel didn't seem to fit so I opted for Perverse Poet.

I am actually a poet. I like to write haiku and other forms of verse. All too often "perverse" though. I also write blogs and newsletters which is part of what I do for a living. The other part is drawing illustrations.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you as we walk this interesting road.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome Michael ... a poet, nice ... that's a skill I don't have ... Do you happen to have a website we can look over and read a few of your poems?

What is the greatest challenge you are facing that perhaps someone here can help you with?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome.

Ok, I have two sites that might be of interest. My first is my Wordpress blog https://perversepoetry.wordpress.com/ which has all sorts of stuff, the other my professional website www.michaelbirchmore.co.uk

What is my greatest challenge? What an excellent question. I think getting myself established as a credible freelance writer and illustrator.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@PerversePoet

Glad to have you here!

My dad told me I was a poet, but didn't know it, but my long feet show it ... cuz they were longfellows.

Yeah. I know. Not funny.

I couldn't make a rhyme given any amount of time.

Getting yourself established as a credible freelance writer and illustrator .... hmm... starts with content on your site, that belongs to you, created by you.

If you want more people to come to your site, give them more reasons to come = more good stuff = higher cred.

Why do you have a WordPress blog and a pro site? Why 2 sites? and not both at the same place?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@PerversePoet

I enjoyed my visit to your home page till I had to scroll down 6 times to see it all. The bottom - white on black and long is hard to read.

When people land on your site ... what do you want them to do?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the visit. Started the blog thing a while back as a place to store stuff and link it out as needed. I got the site because I think it looks more professional and interesting. Point noted about the bottom bit.

What do I want people to do. Mostly this is a shop window and the most is to sign up for a newsletter.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@PerversePoet

Why not put you wordpress blog on your pro site? Everybody coming to the same place and no need to click thru to get somewhere.

7' rule ... visitors should know what you want them to do by looking at your screen from 7 physical feet away.

Shop, Buy, Browse ...

Give people one choice and many will do it.

Give them options and most people can't make up their minds.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Good points. Thanks.

I'll seek advice from my site builder.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @PerversePoet -

Personally, I'd put snippets on your pro site and link to your poetry site. You may want to ultimately get a separate domain for your poetry and run it as a stand-alone WP site. But I understand that you're still just getting traction.

Here are a few ideas for how to promote your poetry -

1) connect lines with images especially since you're an illustrator & share on social media, linking back to your poetry site

2) collaborate with other artists & share each others work; do step 1 with a local photographer or someone who paints - people share what they work on and you leverage the network effect (you have xx friends; Joe has xx friends - together your friends have XXXX friends)

3) don't ignore offline opportunities - I'm sure that you're probably involved with poetry readings, but if there isn't a coffeehouse that has open mic nights, start one - this helps them draw traffic and, of course, connects you with other artists
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@PerversePoet

White glides over
The silken green. Blue above
Watches feather fall.

As a fellow poet I understand what you are trying to do. I keep my personal site (with my poetry) separate from my business sites. People coming to my sites to do business are not necessarily interested in my poetry or other personal activities. I may want them to be, and I provide access, but it must be their choice. That works for me. Others will do it differently.

You may want to start by hanging out where poets do. Here's a beginning:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/poetrybychoice/

Do you have a book? That's another way to get your poetry out there for others to see. I'm working on mine -- I should give it more time!

Post 10 • IP   flag post
Thanks guys. Although my username is Perverse Poet my main activity is not poetry although I do write poetry. My main aim is to earn a living from writing newsletters, which can include poetry, and draw illustrations. All of which is on my site and blog.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
Several good suggestions above. Just a thought, but @PerversePoet, you might think about listing your services at www.fiverr.com or www.guru.com as a way to begin earning a living with your art.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
26084 12 12
destitute