BillBelew.com
Blogging

a thousand words about a picture1804

Member LewisLinks private msg quote post Address this user
The media library has been a challenge for all of us in some ways, so here are a few things that can help.

1. When you create or find a picture/drawing to upload, 72 pixels per inch is all the resolution you need.

2. A 72 ppi image with a file size of 700 KB will be approximately 20 inches by 20 inches in size. WAAAAAY too big, even though the browser will reduce it to a usable viewing size.

3. When you upload still images, shoot for a file size under 100KB.

Yes, I know it says you can upload a file that is up to 2MB in size, and you can. But you shouldn't.

Here is the main benefit: If you look in the media library and don't see the image, but instead see a placeholder, that is most likely a file size issue. When you see a placeholder, your image will not display with the snippet about your post. The only place it will display is in the post, and then only if you place it there or set it as the featured image.

Smaller files also upload much faster and cleaner to the media library, and if they upload faster to the library they will also load faster when someone opens your post. That's a good thing.

I went through the library and modified about six images that were in use in posts, replacing the large (original) image with a smaller version of the same image.

Now I'd like to encourage everyone to take a quick look through the media library, and if you find one of your files that shows a placeholder rather than the picture, replace it.

If you find one with a placeholder and it is a duplicate or you know you won't use it, please delete it. No one else will use it anyway, because they can't see what it is.

You probably all know how to reduce the file size of an image. I used Preview (I'm a Macintosh guy), and there are similar programs on Windows. But if you need help, let me know.

Finally, I don't know what the magic number is for the file size to work properly in all places on the site. I found some that were about 140KB that seemed to be fine. But there is no need for a file to be even that large. On the other end, there are several files that are under 30KB that look great on the site.

Really finally, every image that is being used can (and should) have a title, a caption, Alt Text (what pops up when you mouse over the image), and a description. All of those help in search, and most of them help in the user experience.

Lots of excellent images, BTW, so kudos to you all for that.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@Lewislinks I have a question about embedding a YouTube video into an article. I tried to use the iframe code and nothing showed up. Is this something we will not be able to do?

What about embed codes for Facebook and twitter as well?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member LewisLinks private msg quote post Address this user
I'll get back to you on that, @bdaoust. I started to look into it last night but got pulled away. Just wanted you to know it is on my radar.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
There suggestions are not just good ones...they are essential.

There are 10 things that are more important than 210 other things you can do to make a perfect page ... and these are 4 of them.

"Really finally, every image that is being used can (and should) have a:

title,
caption,
Alt Text (what pops up when you mouse over the image)
description.

All of those help in search, and most of them help in the user experience."

Emphases is mine.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@lewislinks - I keep getting this error when I go to save my article Resource Limit Is Reached

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

Are we overloading the system all at once?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

When was the last time you got that warning?

I called them yesterday and they assured me there would be no more Resource Limit warnings.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

I have added this to our task list.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
It turns out that what I thought I had I didn't have. Urgh.

DoGoodU was on a shared hosting plan...not the virtual private server that I thought I had.

It'll be moving here shortly.

I will send an update.

Once moved, we should have no more resource limitations ... until we get to a LOT of visitors daily.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Okay.. we have moved to a new server ... should be no more limitations.

Should being the operative word.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29714 9 9
destitute