BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer Advice

Best advice from a college professor1821

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes the most spiritual thing you can do is take a nap. I think I'll close my eyes.

What's the best advice you rcvd in college?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
jimmydont private msg quote post Address this user
The best advice for me was:

I was to learn "how" to solve problems. In other words, thought processes, logical thinking, general methods, "what if" scenarios, and how to start from "scratch" as if you knew nothing at all about the problem.

This was opposed to some schools teaching each step of a particular problem, leaving you with no where to go if you ran into a problem not discussed before.

Theoretically I should be able to fix anything now.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@jimmydont

Not so. You are good at breaking things.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew

That's another way to learn how to fix things.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
When I was first going to teach at the university level it was required the particular college that I take an "Excellence in Education" course first in order to learn the right things to do in class and the best ways to do them. The professor teaching the course was known as the master of experiential learning. My "Eurika!" moment came when I realized he was not only teaching us the ins and outs of classroom management, we were living them. Changed my whole perspective on teaching.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Hmmm... tell us more.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
The best advice I received when I started teaching was, "you only need to stay one chapter ahead of the students."

It took a lot of stress out of preparation.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
Follow your dreams...
Post 8 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Starting my second semester of engineering, I was studying non-stop, yet struggling and generally felt stressed.

Throughout high school I studied & got A's - but pretty much got everything done with plenty of time to "play."

Now suddenly I was not only struggling, but getting my first failing grades.

My advisor told me something that stuck with me to this day.

"The thing to realize is that not everything is going to get done. You have to learn how to choose which things *have* to be completed and which do not."
Post 9 • IP   flag post
toyino private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay I agree with you Susan. This also helps generally in business when you are one step ahead of your competition!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@jimmydont Regarding Lifelong Learning what advice would you give people transitioning from a corporate job to a second or third act if they have no idea about what they should do or what they should learn to pursue a purposeful & meaningful retirement life?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

Starting into retirement life I would advise you to think about what makes you happy. What do you love to do? Where do you like to travel to? Look at retirement as a chance to relax a little and do the things you have always wanted to pursue, but have not had the time.
Once you start enjoying life without the time constraints of making a quick decision, the right choice will come along.
Don't worry and pray about it.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

You may also enjoy reading an article I recently wrote about major life changes.

Major life changes do not require baby boomers to "start over"
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jimmydont I like your thoughts about retirement as a chance to relax a little and do the things you have always wanted to do. I also like the Late Dr. Wayne Dyer's comment when he quoted a famous children's rhyme, "Row, Row, Row YOUR Boat Gently Down The Stream. Merrily, Merrily, Merrily,Merrily Life is But a Dream"!

Also, I tweeted and liked your article on Facebook about major life changes including some of your own life experiences that do not require Boomers to "start over".

I also looked at another article on your website: Wisepreneurs' How To Target Your Audience. I wanted to know what is your most effective marketing strategy when your targeting the 50+ demographic. When promoting my Seniorpreneur Project I'm finding out that the 50+ are are not homogeneous and they do not think alike; including whether or not they read self-help business books.

Joe W.
Seniorpreneur
Post 14 • IP   flag post
That's a great insight @Seniorpreneur - media companies can afford to miss the mark with a piece of content or offering, because like Starbucks one store can under-perform and the other locations will pick up the slack.

As a small solo-preneur, bloggers and other content marketers don't have that luxury.

People ask me all the time why startups fail - we think it's because of money, marketing, or any number of things.

But in reality it's our most precious and undervalued commodity..

Without narrowing down the no-kidding specifics of who we're trying to reach and why they should care about what we're selling (our content,) little else matters..

..and we waste what we already don't have a surplus!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

When it comes to marketing I would like to refer you to my friend on this forum Mr Belew @Belew
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Seniorpreneur

When you ask about pursuing a "pursue a purposeful & meaningful retirement life" you leave the door wide open. Those terms can mean so many things to so many different people.

The word "purposeful" suggests to me that you might like to take on a second career or business but it could also mean you want to get purposefully into that architecture sketching (or anything else) you once dabbled in but set aside for a rainy day.

In a similar manner, "meaningful" leaves a lot to be defined according to your own needs and desires.

If you want to play with retirement you will get lots of advice where ever you go but if you want "purposeful & meaningful" answers you would be best served to hire a coach or mentor with both life and business abilities.

I tend to divide coaches and mentors in this manner:

- a coach typically gets you on a path and pumps you up to get you motivated but leaves the moving forward part up to you. They tend to be more about generalities and often short on specifics.

- a mentor helps you determine the right path and works with you as you move forward offering you methods and choices. While they won't do "it" for you, they will stand by you to make sure you get it done, helping you deal with flaws and do-overs.

You likely should explore your options, find a mentor that is a good fit, and then commit suitable time to the purpose. The meaningful part will then naturally follow.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Seniorpreneur "I wanted to know what is your most effective marketing strategy when your targeting the 50+ demographic"

Demographics are more or less useless... you need to work out who your target audience is, in terms of what you can do to solve their problems, why they should take note of you, why they should buy from you ... and how they actually buy... etc....

You can then and only then use demographic data to help segment your audience so that you can reach specific segments based on your marketing activities.

Best advice I ever received ... was to do with nerves and dating...

it's the 3 second rule, when you see someone you are attracted to, you have three seconds to think and then you must act .... because it's always better to be in the game and playing than sitting on the outside wondering how to get in ...

Although this was given as dating advice the same principle holds true in an awful lot of situations ...
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Rev Yes, seniors pursuing a purposeful and meaningful life are different with different expectations and no two seniors are alike. Too many seniors 50 Plus are lost when transitioning from a traditional corporate job to something that they still feel useful and contributing members of society.

Most of my work is based on research available to date including my book, Seniors(50 Plus)As Entrepreneurs: Their Time has Come. The 50+ entrepreneur is a movement around the World including the USA, Canada, UK & Australia. In the USA there is a well developed network of mentors & coaches helping potential entrepreneurs there. See SCORE.org whereas; in most of the other Countries this process has only started and needs a lot of development work.

I don't have a consulting company. My role is that of a seniors advocate and lightening rod for the development of Lifelong Learning, Senior Entrepreneurship and Seniors Poverty issues in Canada.

@Steve I am still working on my most effective Marketing strategy. In the beginning I thought that the whole 50+ demographic wanted to look at concepts such as Lifelong learning, Senior entrepreneurship and Seniors Poverty issues. As you know there are more seniors going online to learn about computers. Unfortunately, we still need to get many seniors to challenge their online activities and go beyond just communicating to grandchildren, etc. I try to reach out to seniors around the World through the social media. How do you reach the real target market i.e.those seniors that read non-fiction self-help business books (printed and/or e-books)?

I think it has to start with awareness to see that it's still possible to try something bold enough to make a difference in the World. Cheers!

Joe W.
Seniorpreneur
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

Most seniors don't know what they want.

How abt you tell them?

There are 4 itches ppl want scratched when they go online.

1. Be entertained
2. Be inspired
3. Be informed
4. Be a leader of others

Which of these areas will you address?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur - I found one Facebook group called The Senior Entrepreneur.

Rather than re-ignite the debate over your own venue vs. building something on social media platforms, I'd offer that you won't find better marketing demographics at a fraction of what it costs Fortune 500 companies.

For a few dollars down to pennies you can test and eventually narrow your target from "all seniors" to "seniors 55 to 70 who follow INC magazine and fans of Richard Branson (a senior himself)" or what resonates with senior entrepreneurs.

It would cost thousands, if not millions, to develop a system / database to have that kind of access / reach.

While it's true that people don't go to Facebook to be marketed, you can run content that entices them to opt into your email list like a report or video series.

Here's a post that 90,000 shares called "never too late to get started."

Although many of those folks are probably not seniors, it's a message that resonates and encourages sharing / likes, but most importantly will ultimately attract the right people, if you consistently create such content and occasionally put the right offers in front of them.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
@Seniorpreneur

The Seniors whom I know are the most happy with retirement are those who:

A. Do service to their fellow Mankind citizens
B. Help children to succeed in school - socially, responsibly and intellectually.
c. Care for this least cared about.
D. Enlarge their friendships by doing A B & C above.
E. Have hobbies which fulfill A, B C and D by sharing knowledge.

@Belew shared the 4 itches he is aware of. Attract your audience with the itches and then steer them into my alphabet soup.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
@jimmydont, your reference above to a previous article you wrote was outstanding... "I would rather have a tornado blow all my possessions away than have to part with them on my own. It’s true. Sometimes we need a change that we will never make without a major incident causing it."

That is some sage advice professor!

And that is a terrific article:
http://www.dogoodu.com/education/major-life-changes-do-not-require-baby-boomers-to-start-over/
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Belew At the present time I want seniors 50+ to be inspired. As you say most seniors don't know what they want. One influential retirement site with 1,600 members shows that when transitioning to retirement many are either bored,get anxiety or in extreme cases become depressed. They definitely need help before they are ready to tackle any challenging business project.

@jycmba Yes, Thanks very much for the heads up on the Facebook Group called The Senior Entrepreneur. I signed up. I also made a comment on the Post titled 'never too late to get started'. Reviewing a small sample of the people making comments on this post it appears that over 60% are probably younger people in their 20's & 30's. I also shared this post on my Facebook and reached out to become friends with some of those over 40.
Thanks again!

@Clydeart Hi! Welcome! When handling my 'Seniorpreneur Project' i feel most comfortable with the choice you marked as A)Do service to their fellow Mankind citizens. In my case it's the 50+ demographic that wants to be more active, creative, productive and prosperous in their retirement life through Lifelong Learning & Senior Entrepreneurship. If I can help more seniors achieve this goal I will be very happy. Thanks!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
26083 24 24
destitute