BillBelew.com
Content Creation

Know Smb Who Has Made the Ultimate Sacrifice1823

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Tomorrow is Memorial Day here in the US?

Has anybody close to you made the ultimate sacrifice?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
When I was 11-12 years old my older brothers and sisters had a best friend who didn't come back from the Vietnam War. His name was Donald Scheit. We called him Fish. He was 17-years old when he was ambushed on patrol.

I remember the funeral even now ... 50 years after the fact.

Has anybody close to you made the ultimate sacrifice?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
Not real close, but I knew some. A kid in the neighborhood younger than I did not come back from 'nam alive.

A couple of junior officers and enlisted men who trained under me appeared in the obituaries before I left active duty. I found one of them and the neighbor boy on The Wall in D.C.

Some of my High School classmates died in Vietnam.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
I only know the veterans after leaving duty, mostly from Vietnam. For my first 1-2 years in a full-time job, they're who I worked with. Much of what I learned about work ethics came from them. Overall, my first full-time job is where I started growing up. I'm glad it came with a good influence.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
AndreaNaomi private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't know him personally but when I was in the AF I helped process death claims. I remember helping a soldier's wife and son who had just lost a husband and father in Iraq it was a painful moment. You really can't say anything except thank you and even thank you feels broken. Many of my brothers and sisters have returned home especially those in the army they say they are broken that living a "normal" life feels more like a movie than reality. It's strange to realize that in the wake of their deaths I believe the families have made a tremendous sacrifice. Death after war and life after war --- it's something they carry around for the rest of their lives.

Post 5 • IP   flag post
@AndreaNaomi

Very insightful - "when 'normal' begins to feel strange."

Been there done that.

Thanks for sharing.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
25993 6 6
destitute