BillBelew.com
BloggingmarketingSEO AdviceWordPress

Best Tips Starting with WordPress1824

rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
After a long period (that will not be specified more than that) I posted a blog using WordPress. I created a category and decided to rename it. Doing that - the URL-like description that you can create for it - does that matter, does it do anything for searchability?

Are there other WordPress details that matter? Regardless of how small, I'd like to hear some answers/opinions/comments/something.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

First, though it may seem obvious from a couple things you say, we need to determine which WordPress you are using -- free company hosted wordpress.com or self-hosted wordpress.org?

Next, WordPress (either one) right "out of the box" is a great platform even with the default settings. However, tweaks you can make in the self-hosted version will make it into a veritable powerhouse for professional business blogging.

For those just getting started, consider the Core Tweaks WordPress Setup plugin before installing or configuring anything past the WordPress core installation.

In your case it would seem you are well past the need for this so skip over this one. Just go to Settings --> Permalinks and, under Common Settings, select either Post Name or Custom Structure and, if the latter, add: /%category%/%postname%/ to the box.

Then install your favorite, or best recommended, plugin(s) for each of these categories:

- security
- backup
- anti-spam
- social sharing
- search optimization
- post scheduling

From that point on plugins should be chosen for the features and functions they provide which move your business/marketing plan forward.

This might help a little... http://wizardsplace.com/wordpress-4-5-introduction/
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What @Rev says.

TherE are a lot of things you can do that will make a difference.

The most important thing is to hit the blue button on the right side part way down as often as possible.

It says Publish.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew maybe the the blue button is 2nd most important. Typing something to publish is probably #1. Spell-checking is probably #1.5.

@Rev Thanks for the tips. The WordPress I use is free, hosted on my domain. I'm looking at the social sharing plugins. I do almost nothing with facebook, but I do use linkedin - more so now than before. Meetup plugin - future use - when I resume that activity, and find one with reasonable reviews.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @Rev Great tips!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras - bottomline: lots to learn & @Rev is my "go to" person for the finer points!

He even has live events where he will look at your site and make recommendations.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I need that kind of help 😨
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

Social sharing isn't about the sites YOU use... That's social following. Social sharing is so your readers can share your posts on the sites THEY use!

@jycmba

Have you seen this: http://wizardsplace.com/general-news/webinar-jeo/
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Rev - no, I haven't seen this before but looks like a great opportunity to demo it to your mailing list and showing them how it can enhance both their website and current marketing!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev is it any good? worth the price?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev Thanks for sharing!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I'm buying into it. I've used RunClick for several years -- by the same people -- and it's solid. This looks like they have brought it to the top of the pack with their own delivery system. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Here's the launch webinar from yesterday: https://goo.gl/fAKcyw

And if you will, here is my affiliate link to the product: http://jvz1.com/c/61273/193483
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I really wanted to like this purely based on your recommendation.

I knew you would not steer us wrong.

However, when I tried to view this on my mobile I could not find the bottom of the page. Seriously.

I went to my desktop and it took me (I counted them) 55 clicks to get to the bottom of the page.

Do people still really use these long sales pages?

They lost me.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I'm not fond of the verrrrrrrrrrrry lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng sales pages. I don't use mobile for web-surfing - no guarantee that would build my tolerance for click-click-click scroll-scroll-scroll.

From a sales perspective - how effective are those long pages? Whom do they attract?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

You lost me at verrrrrr ...
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew,

I could ask, "Should people who actually use the Internet cater to the lowest common denominator?" or "Do people actually use their phones for web surfing?" but I won't. Not even rhetorically.

A good friend and associate of mine who lives just south of Syndney, Aus., is a member of a crew called Mollymook Longboarders Club and I asked him why they called it "longboarders" instead of just something basic like "surf club" and he said it was to separate the real surfers from the kiddies on the pony boards.

Yep. But hey, you'll do just fine. And if you were actually planning on running webinars on your cell phone... well, as Arsenio Hall used to say, "Hmmmm..."
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Oh, and just do what everyone else does -- on smartphone or desktop -- scroll right to the bottom, back up to the last buy now button and click! Works for the rest of us.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I expected a clever retort from you. 8-)

No doubt JEO is a better product. You would know.

And I don't like the webinar service I am using.

But I don't like long copy either.

Boy am I a sour puss today.

Now, where's that buy button.

Click 23, 31, 46, 53, 54, 55... there it is.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew @Rev - you guys crack me up!

Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Did you see what @jycmba called us?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Yeah, I certainly did. But you know the worst part of it? He's mostly right!
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Rev

He's at least half right.

One of us is old and the other is a fart.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Hmmmm. Since I'm the elder...
Post 23 • IP   flag post
OMG stop it! You're killing me! lol
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Maybe Bill and I should quit our day jobs and go on the road together. Can't you just see it:

Belew and the Rev

We could be the next Laurel and Hardy, or Abbott and Costello, or Penn and Teller -- well, without the magic stuff -- or Mike and Brian -- but without the guitar. Oh, wait. I have a guitar. Uh, Bill, do you do magic?
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I can do magic.

I can make a whole plate of chocolate chip cookies disappear.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I can put a tray of globs into my magic box and pull out cookies.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras

...and Bill will magically make them disappear!
Post 28 • IP   flag post
24991 28 28
destitute