BillBelew.com
Content MarketingCustomer ServiceEmail Marketingmarketing

eMail Opens vs Conversions1842

Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
There seems to be a head-long rush to get people to open marketing emails at any cost. Many gurus are actually teaching approaches involving tricky subject lines, "oops" messages, etc., to get targets to open the email message regardless of content suitability.

You've seen them,

- subject lines that touch your general area of interest (gets you to open) but the content is for a niche you're not interested in. If the subject line spoke to the niche you wouldn't have opened it.

- subject lines that speak to an error in a previous message, a message with a broken link, etc. to get you to open THIS message even though there may NOT have been a previous message at all.

...and more of the like.

Have you been "caught" by any of these messages? Do you use them to "catch" your own target market? What do you think of them either as a sender or a receiver?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member EStutz private msg quote post Address this user
When this type of Oops email is received, I delete, unless it's from someone I know. The worst part about these is they are not completely honest, and I then flag future email from those senders.

The essential element of growing business whether an entrepreneur or salesperson is to carefully qualify and match potential clients, partners, collaborators... Values and priorities need to be consistent across the board.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, @Rev I've received all varieties of the fake and desperate emails from unscrupulous marketers that you describe.

It is borderline spam, and one of the reasons that email has become diminished as a marketing medium.

I imagine that the way to get email back on track as a solid platform to solicit and educate prospects for your legitimate deals, is for recipients to begin hitting the unsubscribe button much more than they currently do (when they receive messages from unethical sources).

Unsubscribing will become a part of the process of business evolution, that will influence the pendulum to be swayed back in the direction of sound and smart marketing efforts.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tracy private msg quote post Address this user
@globalman22: Do you really think email is diminished as a marketing medium? I understand what you're saying about getting email back as a solid platform, but what can we do as content marketers to ensure we don't step over the line into unprofessionalism?

Obviously, better, more accurate subject lines would help. Do you have any other ideas?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@tracy @globalman22

I actually think email is diminishing as a communication method, let alone a marketing medium. There are efforts to improve it and some marketing gurus are actually teaching good practices so maybe...

"Unsubscribing will become a part of the process of business evolution..."

The problem here is that not everyone provides legitimate unsubscribe links/buttons, in fact:

1 - those not in the US, Canada, or other countries with laws governing this simply ignore it, and

2 - some both in and out of such countries provide false "unsubscribe" links that simply delay emails for a while (so you don't remember unsubscribing), transfer you to another list (did I subscribe to this?), or act as a validation that you are a real person actually opening your email and they sell (or otherwise deliver) the address on to fellow spammers.

Remember, most regulations are only for the people that follow them. With no Internet police and little, if any, possibility of corrective action, all the legislated penalties in the world are of no value at all.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @tracy, I say that email is "diminished" only because of the amount of "noise" that clutters my inbox.

I happen to love good email as a marketing medium.

But, because of the increasing tendency for marketers to shout louder to capture my attention, I pay less attention to many of the missives hitting my email inbox.

In terms of how responsible marketers can do their part to preserve and enhance the power of email marketing, it boils down to targeting your audience and delivering a great message in a well-timed sequence that tells the truth.

Attract people to your content pages by consistently emailing them in a professional tone. Create a positive relationship with your list/members and become a trusted source for good information.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I hate email marketing.

It's another push marketing technique that has been so abused that it is not effective any more.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@tracy

The numbers don't add up. Calculate the time it takes to create an email list. Add to that the time it takes to nurture the list. Then email client costs.

Now start your email campaign. When sales are added up subtract costs and divide in your time to know how much you made per hour.

Email marketing isn't worth the effort.

Now if you have an email list of people who have already given you money. ... then you have something.

Upsell by email to your paying customers.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
I must delete over 100 emails a day. I do it now with one step process.

However, there are companies which I enjoy getting emails from, but not many.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay

It's a tough slog to get ppl interested on smth by hook or by crook when they werent interested to begin with.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew

There is no question it's easier when people come to you on their own and ask. That's what inbound marketing is all about. But some marketers don't have the patience -- or the confidence -- for that, and some prospects sometimes need a nudge in the right direction. Email, done right, can put that nudge -- or carrot -- in front of them.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
On my experience most people go wrong with email marketing by attracting the wrong audience to their list. If you have a free giveaway to attract people to you list... make it specific to your niche so that you attract a narrow group of potential buyers rather that a larger more broader list.

As to click bait... and spam that is killing email marketing... most of my own emails are now just deleted as junk.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev

How's email done right?

I sure don't know what I am doing.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member EStutz private msg quote post Address this user
I'm with you on the diminished marketing route for email. I literally receive about 500 spam email every day. It was a nightmare to get it almost under control. It's definitely something to be taken under scrutiny.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Is there someone here who has a successful case study of an email marketing campaign that worked?

Taking into consideration these question abt email effectiveness.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
29377 15 15
destitute