BillBelew.com
BacklinksContent CreationContent MarketingVideoVideo ProductionYouTube

How to Attract More Readers with Video1846

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user

What's better than getting out of the summer heat than hiding in a nice cool movie theater and catching blockbusters?

As the lights go out, Hollywood knows they've got your attention. That's when the studios sell you the coming attractions in the form of trailers.

Watching these, you're deciding which movies you plan to see next and which you're going to Netflix or just skip.

Trailers for Your Content
You can create videos as trailers for your content. Just a simple 30 second video of highlights on social media can grab a viewers attention and send them to your site.

Likewise, the number 2 search engine in the world (YouTube) is owned by none other than #1 Google.

So, picking the right keywords can give you backlinks that offer some of the best organic search juice around!

You know that something is going on when the top websites in the world start investing in video.. Recently, Amazon just launched their own YouTube competitor. Meanwhile, Facebook now offers live video to influencers.

But who's got time for making videos? or the money right?

Lately, I've been testing some platforms. Most offer Powerpoint-like templates where you can type in some text, add photos and choose some combo of music and your own voice over.

Here's a roundup of free and low-cost options -

Content Samurai - not cheap but they do occasionally offer a $1 trial; here's my demo -

Adobe Spark - if you can make slides, you can create videos with this

Showbox - easiest way to create professional looking videos

Powtoon - online animation; a bit more learning curve than the others & more expensive to remove their prominent watermark

WeVideo - a simplified video editor that can do all the basics; nice templates to help out

If there's interest, I might offer some group training online.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
There's a LOT to digest here. @jycmba

Thanks foe this terrific resource.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

Hi John

Thanks for this!

This is very useful!

My perception of Blab is that their strategic shift made them much less attractive for creating videos than they had first appeared. Since you did not include Blab; may I assume that you agree?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - I still use Blab.

They're still good for creating interview or raw content.

I guess I should have prefaced that these techniques are more designed for existing content.

What I find is that, even if you're using the Twitter technique that @Belew and @Steve advocate, video is a way to bridge the gap - especially for people who glance at their mobile device and click away because of the TLR (Too Long Didn't Read) effect.

In other words, we're more likely to watch a 30 sec to 3 minute video than we are to read a 300-500 word post. Call it lazy or what you will - it's just human nature.

Case in point, I'm guessing that 80% of the people will have watched the video before reading to this line. If you're one of the 20%, I'd love to talk to you and find out why!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Once a video is created, how do you recommend getting it online?

YouTube? Vimeo? Smth else?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew - YouTube, of course, is the stepchild of Google, so you know that leveraging the #1 & #2 search engines is going to be the best of both organic and paid traffic outside of Facebook. (separate discussion).

Vimeo is the Betamax of online video IMHO.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I think I can write and publish 2 maybe 3 posts, with links and images on the time it would take me to do one video.

How can I find a rhythm to creating videos such that I feel productive?

I'd rather be doing 1 thing well...than 3 things semi well.

How can I get to the point where I am not afraid of video?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Following up with another question before I head to church.

I have never liked getting my picture taken. How can I grow more comfortable in front of a video camera?

I'd really like to do videoa but the lack of perceived productivity and the fear of being seen are my obstacles.

How can I overcome them?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew - batch production is probably the way to go. Once you get the basic mechanics down, you can probably do 2-3 videos an hour.

Again, I'm not advocating video INSTEAD of blog content. Think of it as a lens to focus traffic and again like a trailer attract your target audience.

When you see a trailer, like that horror movie you shared, you're eliminating 80% of the people who should not watch it - and that's a good thing.

Because 80% of the 20% that watch are ready to open their wallets and buy a ticket.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew - I never liked being in front of the camera and still don't really. If you watch most of the ones using these 5 methods, I'm not in any of these - again, unlike Blab.

If you don't want to record your voice, I'd get a Fiverr voice over like this..

Post 10 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Batching is a terrific idea.

I do that with text writing.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Belew - once you have a structure (like the review videos I've made), you use it as a template and just tweak for effect.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba Thanks for all the great dialog. I only worry about the time it takes to do video.

As per @Belew s point, being in front of the camera is a challenge and I always feel that the over 50 crowd are not taken seriously when they do (exception is Tony Robbins) - can we get away with animations instead?

As for the group training, I for one would absolutely love it!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust - sure, I'd be happy to take everyone into a hands-on workshop.

If there's enough interest for a specific platform, we'll pick that one for the first session.

"Pre-requisite" will be setting up your own account. (most just require either a Google or Facebook login..)
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Hi John

Sounds great!

In order of my interest:
Showbox (based on your recommendation)
Camtasia with Skype (for interviews)
Zoom
Blab (unless you see more in the new Blab to rank it higher)

Best
John
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba awesome thread
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - no matter which platform we use, I want to make this very interactive & practical (ideally hands on) vs. theoretical & more classroom.

So, I'll ask for sample blog posts, and we'll pick one of them to work through for the process of turning it into video content.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Sounds really useful.

So if I understand you well; you are thinking of creating an interactive workshop something like the following:

You will select a platform for creating videos (perhaps Showbox)

Then you will select a Blog Post from among samples suggested by those interested. For example I have a Blog Post titled "How Startups Use Virtual Assistants" at http://www.taligo.com/how-startups-use-virtual-assistants/
This post is linked to only two other posts. So it is essentially a simple standalone topic. A simple topic seems better than something involving the complexity of a silo.

You will then create an interactive workshop that shows people how to create a video based on one of the Blog Posts submitted to you.

During the workshop you will also discuss interesting points related to other Blog Posts that attendees provide in advance.

Have I got that about right?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - pretty much!

Although it'll be interactive and live, we'll record and, well, create another video!

So, from one event we'll have two videos!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Right now, it looks like Thursday is a good day for me.

I was thinking that we can do this around 6 pm PST? Let me know how that time works for everyone.

Please post your blog post that you'd like to get made into a video. We'll pick one, and you'll have to attend to find out who gets chosen!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Sounds good.

Except 6 PM PST is 2:00 AM in London
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - I can meet earlier, but wasn't sure what times worked best. So, I picked a later one since other folks are from Pacific time zones.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Your plan sounds good to me.

I am on London time. I can be available between midnight PST and ending by 14:00 PST.

We don't seem to be getting much expression of interest. You might add a few details to the package I suggested above and tell people what it will cost. They may be holding back to hear that
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - let's go with 11 am PST for now.

If folks are interested in getting their blog post made into a video, then they should submit them by tomorrow 12 noon PST.

I've already got yours, of course, John.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Can you record it? I will not be at my personal computer - at work! I really want to know the process
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Great!

I have 11:00 PST on Thursday in my Agenda.

What platform should I have installed before then? Showbox? Camtasia? Zoom? Blab? And if its Showbox where should I go at 11:00 on Thursday?

Anybody who is interested should view @jycmba 's videos above.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - I think this time around we'll use Zoom with Showbox to reduce the possible things that can go wrong.

Just signup by logging in with your Facebook or Google account beforehand. (Takes a few seconds) I've noticed that Showbox works better in Chrome.

Here's the Zoom link for Thu, 11 am - https://zoom.us/j/3850337087

I'll do my best to remember to hit the "Rec" button! @bdaoust

I've invited some folks from a video marketing group. (yes, even other "experts" want to learn about this stuff, too!)
Post 27 • IP   flag post
I'll be there.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Here's a trailer I made for my trailer..

I know, I'm getting ridiculous.. But it's so easy it's hard not to go nuts with this stuff!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Video looks great!
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29624 52 30
destitute