BillBelew.com
AnalyticsFacebookLinkedInmarketingSocial Media

Social Media Metrics1848

chrisleffler private msg quote post Address this user
For the Social Media geeks:

Which metrics do you pay the most attention to day to day?

Is there an online tutorial on this subject that you like the best?

-Christine
Post 1 • IP   flag post
KBauermeister private msg quote post Address this user
That is a great question. Looking forward to the feedback.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
chrisleffler private msg quote post Address this user
I have been looking for a good book on the topic, but just like SEO, they change by the time a book can be published..
Post 3 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
I think that it depends.. all of this goes back to what your audience values.

In general, Facebook offers really good insight with the way that they move things up on your newsfeed - aka "edge rank" (image below)

Each platform has their way of tracking "reads" - Twitter might call them "impressions"; Facebook, "views."

But in the end engagement, aka "interaction" with your content, trumps these raw "touches" for pretty much any of these. And, of course, if "likes" are queen, then "shares" are king.

Post 4 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@chrisleffler

I look at organic traffic results.

And, I hate to admit this ... but I watch for T.co traffic.

I want to know if these numbers are going up or down over the previous period.

Everything else is everything else.

If you were to ask me all the numbers I care about...the list would become pretty long.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
We all monitor different things... most count new followers... some monitor engagement... but the only one worth monitoring is the conversion of social media followers in to prospects ( those entering your sales funnel ) and ultimately customers.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

What I want to measure is who has given me money and who hasn't?

But how do you measure the effectiveness of your efforts to fill your funnel?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
The idea isnt to fill your funnel with everyonr... its to fill it with a narrow niche of prospects who meet your ideal customer persina.

A easy way to meassure and as a bonus one that improves concersions is to have different funnels for different social media accounts... so your Twitter followers land on a funnel page written specifically for them... enter a funnel justbfor them and become customers... in the end you can then know how many customers you convert from each platform.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Thought this was interesting and relevant to this discussion - particularly the part about making video a key part of your content now..

"5 Old School Social Media Tactics No Longer Effective"
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Belew you use twitter direct messages to direct people here.... if you use a url shortening service you should know how many tital people have clicked that link. You know how many signed up here... as yiu use this as a funnel you can work out the rest.

Im using Twitter to grow my Facebook following... i know how many DMs i have sent, the number of people that have clicked and the number that have followed me... i also know how my numbers from Facebook...

Some interesting trivia... if i send a tweet out i get between 20 and 40 click throughs... how many do you get... these are the things i meassure.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
You get 20-40 click thrus per tweet?

How often do you tweet?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
How often do i tweet... every ten minutes two tweets go out. Every five hours i post to LinkedIn and every six hours i post to Facebook.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
2 at 10/minute = 12/hr x 24 = 288 tweets / day ... and you get 20-40 click thrus per? 576 per tweet?

That's a lot.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Has this ever happened to you?

Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew i will check later and let you know... how this month is looking.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Twitter is showing zero impressions for me.

I wonder why that is ... is it a Twitter thing?

Nothing is different on my end and I can see tweets going out.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew yep same here... only showing three thousand organic impressions for the 13th ... something is broken it seems...
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Whew!

all the other numbers in analytics are consistent with the past ... except impressions.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
@chrisleffler, I haven't finished reading the book yet, but @belew in his book, "Marketing with Social Media", available at Kendall Hunt Publishing Company, answered FAQ #11 "What's the best way to monitor the performance of your blog?" by saying... "When blogging for money, I found the one non-WordPress item I could NOT get along without was the sitemeter". He further maintains that the free version of sitemeter is more than adequate.

In his book, @belew emphasizes the importance of blogging, and when describing the activity of his various sites, he points out the "Site Summary" stats, which include:

Visits
Total
Average Per Day
Last Hour
Today
This Week

Page Views
Total
Average Per Day

This kind of empirical data would surely be useful for a number of reasons.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
I especially like @Steve's comment above:
"We all monitor different things... most count new followers... some monitor engagement... but the only one worth monitoring is the conversion of social media followers in to prospects ( those entering your sales funnel ) and ultimately customers".

If the purpose of your efforts is a commercial endeavor, I'm sure it all comes down to conversions.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
24957 20 20
destitute