BillBelew.com
BloggingSEO AdviceTwitterWordPress

Venturing out into the blogosphere...1876

chrisleffler private msg quote post Address this user
I have spent much of the weekend starting up a Wordpress blog #MyRivetingWeekend.

Only one blog post to start with but more to follow.

savvymedia.org

How do I associate SEO into my WordPress site? Does anyone have a tried and true source for how to do this?

-Christine
Diving into the deep end of the pool
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@chrisleffler

Nit following your question?

What do you mean by associate SEO into WordPress?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
How do I assimilate SEO into my site or perhaps it is better said how do I add SEO tactics to my blog so it can be found by readers interested in my key area(s) of writing which for now is Social Media.

-C
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@chrisleffler

This is a loaded question and I hope others weigh in.

A lot of ppl swear by the Yoast plug in. I don't use it.

The best thing you can do to get more readers is to write more.

If you want ppl to find you, give them more stuff to find.

Stay on topic. Solve problems that your target demographic has ... and you'll be found out
No need to over think it.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@chrisleffler,

Nice site.

While I agree with Bill that writing more is good, in my experience there is more than that and some things you can do to expedite the process.

Writing better quality, more often, with consistent regularity, for longer, gets the job done. It's what I call the 4 Y's of success:

1 - Quality
2 - Frequency
3 - Continuity
4 - Seniority

There are other things, like Yoast SEO plugin, but you are limited in that regard as you are using WordPress Dot Com rather than a self-hosted WordPress site. That's not a bad thing, just limiting. It will be easy to move when the time is right.

Formatting your posts for on-page SEO helps. Here is a link to a LinkedIn article that might help you get a handle on that bit: Click Here.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations @chrisleffler! My advice ... listen to the masters @Belew , @Rev and others, for they are sages in this field and really know their stuff.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
"Aye, Captain, there be sages here!"

Post 7 • IP   flag post
OriginalGeek private msg quote post Address this user
One thing Yoast does is it makes it easy to change the description meta tag on your page. Please forgive the jargon if you're all like "what?".

The result is you can change what is displayed in the SERP beneath the link to your page (as shown in the image below). This gives you an opportunity to summarize what your post is about to someone reading the SERP, using different words than what appears at the start of your post.

So staying on the wordpress.com platform for the time being, remember the first part of your post is there to entice searchers into clicking...

Post 8 • IP   flag post
@OriginalGeek

If you put in your opening sentences what you might put in your meta description you don't need the description.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
OriginalGeek private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

So far, my writing style in this venture has been conversational and I feel my openers are less than summarizing. When I've tried opening with a summary, it feels kind of forced and phony.

I'm going to be with your input for a bit and see if anything shifts.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@OriginalGeek

Don't think openers.... think introduction.

Just reiterate what it is you promised in the title.

Then write naturally.

If your piece is long enough add meaty and relevant sub headers.

I recommend short sentences. Bots are reading your content in their second language.

Elsewise write naturally.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@chrisleffler nice twitter article ... just shared that on twitter... which is easy since you have share buttons.

SEO ... don't worry about it...

Title - Keyword
Opening Paragraph - Keyword
Closing - Keyword
Alt tag on image - keyword.

This tends to happen naturally if you write to answer the questions of your audience ...

When starting to blog ... remember your audience is small to zero ... so don't waste your time writing your best articles because no one is going to read them ...

Oh and I'm big into social media promotion ... but you need a base of articles to start doing that...

Nice work ...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
1st Paragraph: Tell them what you are going to tell them.

Middle Paragraphs: Tell them.

Closing Paragraph: Tell them what you told them.

The new version of Yoast helps significantly with writing style including sub-headings, transition words, passive voice, Flesch Reading Ease, and sentence length. Worth looking at.

Remember also that search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. don't always display either the meta description or the first paragraph in the SERPs. Additionally, having a meta description is not only there for its use in SERPs, it is also part of a well-constructed web document (structure) which may factor into SEO as well.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@chrisleffler

Be sure to include imgs with captions and descriptions.

After that it's rinse and repeat.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@chrisleffler love to help, between jobs due to my agency losing a major long term retainer client and up for some pro bono SEO.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Thank you, everyone for chiming in.

@Rev and @Belew Thanks for the tips
@lunar_ranger Thank you--let's talk more.
@Steve Thanks for your kind words and for sharing my first blog post on your major Twitter feed!

-Christine
Post 16 • IP   flag post
calskinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisleffler

How do I associate SEO into my WordPress site? Does anyone have a tried and true source for how to do this?

All the above is perfectly stated. And, as an SEO guy of 17 years, I can add that you'll also want to find the actual search terms people type into Google when looking for your subject matter, and sprinkle those into your content.

This is not the Google keyword tool - that isn't a source for real SEO. People use it, but all it does is tell you what keywords advertisers bid over. (Which is not the same as what people actually search for).

You would be shocked at what people actually type into Google.

There are only a few sources to get this information from. The sources are so expensive the average person wouldn't even think to buy access. It's not publicly available and no free tools will reveal it. SEO companies will charge you an arm and a leg to tell you what people are actually typing into Google related to your subject... but if you can give me a few days I'll be happy to do a little research and see what I can come up with for you.

I can tap into the search database and tell you the phrases people are searching for, how many searches per day the phrases get, and your website's ranking in relation to those phrases (and a ton of other data that would probably bore you). It would be solid gold for you. Then you'd just want to use the exact phrases only in your most important pages on your website - sparingly, maybe 3 times per page MAX.

There are many different keywords and phrases you could search out - are you selling a product? If so, you'd want to target buying keywords. These are the words and phrases people type into Google when they are ready to buy. If you have buying keywords, you don't want to waste your time with any other keywords (if you are trying to sell a product).

Only if you'd like the information, of course

And yes, Yoast is nonsense. It's a glorified "override" tool for posts and pages - it doesn't really have anything to do with SEO. Not real SEO. Think of Yoast as a balogna sandwich, and real SEO as the finest filet mignon at a 5 star restaurant... :-D
Post 17 • IP   flag post
calskinator private msg quote post Address this user
Just a side note - SEO isn't what most people think it is - and it seems like SEO has become synonymous with "making sure you cross your T's and dot your i's across all your pages."

To optimize your site for search, you can skip everything anyone has ever taught over the internet in a $97 package and still dominate.

I once dominated my niche for over a decade with more than a million hits a month with only 2 backlinks (angelfire links), broken and invalid code, overrun with flash, javascript, and zero alt tags and zero image tags and pages full of graphics that took forever to load. Took it offline for a couple years, brought it back expecting no traffic and yet it was like a zombie and would not die.

While the minor technicalities we have all come to believe in can be important, they are not always. There are other ways. The big question is do you want to spend your time dotting T's and crossing i's, or do you want to go for the kill and dominate. Because you won't dominate by crossing T's... if you don't want to dominate, then you will be on the playing field with everyone else in your niche and then it becomes a game of crossing T's. And the person with the most T's crossed wins. To me that's boring. I'd rather dominate
Post 18 • IP   flag post
26002 18 18
destitute