BillBelew.com
Business AdviceCareer Advice

How did you decide to hire your 1st coach?1882

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have never had a coach or a mentor.

I think it's because I don't listen ... or maybe the reason I don't listen is because I never had a coach.

I almost had a coach when I was in high school. It didn't work out.

I am thinking I could use one now ...

How did you decide you needed a coach?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe its one of those learn by doing paradigms...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
My first coach (mentor, really) after my father simply took me under his wing and shared helpful things with me. He started as a customer and we struck up an on-going conversation that lead to the discovery that he had done some of the things I was planning on doing. He saved me greatly in the trial-and-error department.

Other coaches and mentors came along over the years as I needed them. I always accepted input, though I didn't always commit to what they suggested. Listening, and engaging, more might have served me better but I have no regrets; only thanks for the amazing sharing.

It was later in life that I actually hired my first coach when I decided the money was getting more plentiful than the remaining time, and I wanted to expedite things. I now have to paid coaches from whom I gain a great deal.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Rev

How did you decide to make the jump to paying for a coach?

This thought process interests me.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew

The "how" was easy. When the time came I found two top coaches that approached things differently -- one more process, one more content -- and who both made me feel a little uncomfortable at times. I signed up for the program each offered that I felt best suited my needs.

Getting to that point wasn't as easy. I had never felt the need. I've always marched to my own drummer -- perhaps this wall plaque my aunt gave me when I was very young had something to do with that...

...but I was just able to figure things out on my own. Still do but decided it wouldn't hurt to test my own approach against what a couple of other successful guys were doing with the ability to ask questions and get answers.

So far I've liked the process and I think I've gained significantly.

Your mileage may vary.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member calskinator private msg quote post Address this user
I looked for a coach who had the results I wanted - and then some. And, a coach who made his living by using the tools and systems he promotes.

So all of those people who were selling packages on how to be a coach - they were x'ed out.

All the people who were selling packages teaching you how to build a 6 figure business, who never had a business (and only made 6 figures teaching people how to build a business) were out...

I was left with three mentors (A-list copywriters) and another awesome business coach we both know - SB) :-D
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@calskinator

I never teach ppl how to do things. I show them how I did or am doing things.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member calskinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - yep that's awesome!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@belew Thanks for your honesty

@rev Thanks for sharing your perspectives. Your perspectives enable me to express myself better.

I'm a type of person who tends to do as instructed. Along the way, I am learning to discern. So I'm so thankful for my business partner turns out to be business mentor to willingly guide me. However, it does not workout due to different background job industry. The part that I treasure the most is to have the same value system with different perspectives. Due to my lack of direction and communication, she guides me to have more job experiences. That's why I am working a temporary full time job. So it is challenging to manage my time.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@tienny

I have missed you. What kind of job are you working now?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny I have missed you also..
Its not te same without you
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@tienny

Glad to see you back! Please tell us more about what you are doing.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@belew @steve @rev Thanks 😃 for all your kind welcome. Currently, I am working temporarily as an account receivable officer. 😖 Struggling in it. I still prefer Creative jobs. Though I miss my freelance, currently my situation requires me to go for stable job. I'm looking for Creative job in the animation industry. Currently, I take a part time class to deepen my knowledge and skills.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
In discussing mentoring, I found when I first started the business that mentors were difficult to find at all. Anyone who 'wanted to help' also wanted to charge me! I know mentor others (a few a year) w/o charging. I think it is so important to have mentors and to be a mentor to someone else.

I am not saying we do not need coaching, as sometimes we come to a place that someone else who has actually been there as calskinator said, is the one who can help you reach the next level or get out of 'stuck' areas.

Well - that is my 2 cents for the day!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

You obviously make a distinction between mentoring and coaching.

Care to go deeper there? I am interested in how others make the distinction.

I have never had a mentor nor a coach. That fact gives great insight to what's wrong with me, no doubt.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
These days the terms coach and mentor are often used interchangeably however in a pure sense the roles of each differ. Either can be a free or paid position.

In general a coaches role is more about keeping the client on track and motivated where a mentors role is more about teaching substance. In the nature of the roles, coaching focuses on process, mentoring on knowledge; there is extensive overlap.

In contemporary U.S. the distinction is all but meaningless. The key, whether the person you choose calls herself a coach or a mentor, is to find someone who can move you out of your comfort zone, assist you in establishing valid goals, and help you move yourself toward them. The scope of engagement can range from a single task to your entire life and/or business.

I consider myself a mentor because I bring a significant base of experience and knowledge to the table. A lot of what I do also involves typical coaching practices.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev

A question for you and hopefully others will chime in as well.

Do you think mentor-ship is thrust upon a person or is it something that the wannabe mentor says, "Hey I can do that?"

I am reluctant to say, "I can mentor you." I'd rather be asked.

How did you transition into being a mentor?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I think the typical marketing split applies here. Some coaches/mentors will promote their services outwardly, soliciting clients, while others will contribute meaningful content and rely on inbound requests for business.

Because of our age, you and I grew up in the heyday of outbound (promotional hype) marketing. It wasn't necessarily the best experience but we were immersed in it. That paradigm has shifted over the past 20 years and there is more (and ever growing) focus on inbound methods.

In my own case, when I see a prospect for whom I could mentor I'm not afraid to say, "Hey, I can help!" but I tend to prefer the inbound method. I contribute valid content where I can and those with a need which they feel I can service often reach out to ask if I will help. Since I am also open about charging for my services, bringing up price is seldom a surprise or an issue.

Coaching can be just about the process and methods which means a good coach really doesn't need to know about what the client does. She only needs to guide and motivate the client into the tried and true process of success along a generally positive path. That works well for some -- both coaches and clients -- but not for others.

Mentoring (when understood to be different than coaching) relies on the mentor having specific, and greater, knowledge of the business, products, and/or services in which the client is engaged. The mentor provides that knowledge coupled with experience, expertise, AND the coaching process and methods, to guide and assist the client along a practical path.

How I transitioned into "being" a mentor is pretty basic. I had lots of interests. I engaged in many jobs and career paths. I learned my craft (many crafts) and got great coaching and mentoring from others along the way. The sum total of that experience and knowledge, coupled with my ability to be both analytical and tactical, made me an obvious person to ask for help. At some point I realized I could charge for the service and added it to the professional things I offer.

Having a good mentor available for when you need them is a real plus. Most people pay more for their phone package, their Internet connection, or their entertainment package, than the price of retaining a good mentor for periodic access. And most small business owners and solopreneurs have a cell phone, Internet, and cable TV yet do not have a mentor.

Why is it again that most small businesses fail?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Terrific breakdown. Thanks for this. Lots to chew on here.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
@belew - got busy and couldn't respond yesterday, but my observations have been that coaching and mentoring are slightly different. I have not ever heard of someone being paid to 'mentor' - it is usually a volunteer position to help others.

A mentor, volunteers and has usually been/traveled where you are - down the road you are going. They are an outside observer with experience in the field and can be very helpful. The downside, I suppose to a mentor is that b/c they are volunteer, they are not always available and are limited in the am't of time they can give you.

A Coach is usually someone who has had some type of formal training (most not all), a rare exception are those who are coaches b/c they have 'made it' and like a mentor have been where you are, so want to help you to get further along (except they are paid to do so). Most of the time, coaches have not been where you are, may not even be in your industry, but have training in coaching and can help you to move past blockades are areas where you are getting stuck or give ideas you have not thought of yet. They are also, usually, Very pricey! Many charge from $55 up to $100+ per hour!

I would prefer a mentor simply b/c they have been where I am. If a coach is from my industry and has training then she/he is more valuable to me and I am willing to pay a little to get their expertise, even for a limited time as it usually helps. I have been told, via articles and speakers, that to succeed you will need to eventually hire a coach. I have done one coaching session with someone and would consider more if our financial situation were different (which s/b soon) as they did prove very helpful even on limited basis so I know moving forward they could be Very helpful. [also i think a coach has a little more invested in you b/c you are paying them and they are thinking it is worth it b/c they will take you to a new level in either earning more through charging more (if not charging enough) or through helping you attract more clients]

That is my take on it anyway. What do you all think?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

You make a good distinction.

The simple or sad truth is we all have to pay the bills.

Whether we devote time as a mentor or coach or regardless of what we are called... many, most? want to monetize their time.

There is such a scrambling and the field is so crowded.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices Thanks for such distinction between mentor and coach.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
28689 22 22
destitute