BillBelew.com
Feedback

When have you witnessed greatness?1892

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
“Yes, but the main thing is that greatness is doable. Greatness is many, many individual feats, and each of them is doable.” Dan Chanbliss, sociologist.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Which you would you rather have?

Talent? Or the capacity for hard work?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member jgerk private msg quote post Address this user
Both would be an asset.
Joy
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Greatness is seldom in the big things that tend to catch our attention. Greatness is in the little things; a kind word to a person in sorrow, helping a stranger with the struggle of the moment, showing respect not because it is earned but because it is the right thing to do. It is the accumulation of the myriad of small things we choose to do that adds up to greatness.

Though often useful, hard work isn't necessary. We all have talents. It is up to each of us to choose whether or not to explore them, to release them, to develop them. All too often we waste our own talent chasing someone else's.

"I am not who I think I am. I am not who you think I am. I am who I think you think I am." For many this is sadly true.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I kind of got spun in a circle reading your reply. That happens to me when there is a truth I try to ignore my first few times around.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev Just love your reply...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@rev even I love your response.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Katie_Ellen private msg quote post Address this user
I am fortunate to have witnessed many instances of greatness in people, and it does not have anything at all to do with worldly success. It can have, and why not, but that is not the measure.

Great people invariably have a sense of humour. They see themselves as both large enough not to have to sweat too much small stuff, while also very small in the scheme of things. It's not humility or false modesty, just a capacity to look at the world without having to place themselves at the centre of it. They don't do petty and they can laugh at themselves, while tolerating inconsistency in themselves and other people. Greatness wears its failures written big on its sleeve, shrugging wryly at itself. Great people have warmth. No true greatness without warmth.

Great people are interested in life, the tiny and the cosmic. Not everyone actually is terribly interested in Life. Some just see a larder, and whether it is full enough. Some arrive in this world and just don't like it much, while suffering from the sense that there is something they are somehow missing.

I would elect Ernest Shackleton, or the shy and retiring Dr John Snow as historic examples hero rather than a famous golden boy like, Alexander the Great who executed men for daring to defend their own cities. In the case of Snow, it would be, not for his scientific achievement precisely, but for the MANNER of his achievement in identifying the cause of cholera; the capacity to look and SEE, high intellect with deep compassion, moral courage in shed-loads in the face of loneliness, ridicule and the professional malice of peers, and sheer gutsy persistence till the problem was essentially cracked.

A Dolpo child delights in the sun on a shard of ice.

Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen

I remember reading Endurance, abt Shackleton's voyage.

Tears were coming down my cheeks as I finished the book.

Thanks for the reminder.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member Katie_Ellen private msg quote post Address this user
Fantastic story, and true greatness. Also an instance of the miracles that can happen when one is beyond one's limits of endurance. Self rescue? Divine intervention? What is the difference. I am not a religious person but I could never call myself an atheist, and why take up fixed positions, anyway, on the great imponderables? A voice spoke to me once. Gave me a firm but immensely kind pep talk. Shackleton carried such a great burden of responsibility, the voice that spoke to him saved all those other lives besides.

See link below for Shackleton's experience of 'The Third Man Factor' Or guardian angel, however you choose to look at it.

strange world of felt presences
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen

I spent time in the US Navy and understand well the tools of navigation.

I can deeply appreciate the magnitude of the navigation feat alone that Shackleton and his team accomplished!

Add to that the motivation of and the care for his crew.

The persistence ... and the follow thru! He went back as promised.

Incredible all around.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
29424 11 11
destitute