BillBelew.com
FeedbackHumorProductivity

Can I hire the people you hire and bypass u?1895

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Has it happened to you?

I get asked if I will introduce the people I hire to work for me so that 'my people' can work for them.

Really?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Never under estimate people and how many will try and save a few cents but lose dollars.

By that I mean... they will try and cut you out... the real brains behind the content and hire the writer directly.

And yes been there... done that...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
OriginalGeek private msg quote post Address this user
It is insulting.

Maybe it's an opportunity. Figure out how much you would profit from the client relationship, triple that figure to arrive at your finder's fee, and then say "Sure, I'll introduce you. My finder's fee is $X0,000". (Or maybe it's $X00,000)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@OriginalGeek

Finder's fee ... never thought to pull that phrase out.

Thanks!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Steve

It puzzles me, maybe it shouldn't but it does, that people aren't considerate enough to think that it's part of my job to find good people and train good people.

Someone asked me a while back, "Does your admin have a sister I can hire?"
Post 5 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
I am not sure about you, but in the contracts I use with my Team (they are 1099 -so perhaps it is different for you), there is a non-compete clause, so that they are not able to work directly with my clients.

Now maybe that is not the type of relationship you are referring to, perhaps it is prior to the person becoming a client; then in all reality the team member would be able to work with them; but it would, as you said, cut you out (unless also specified a 'client' could be considered anyone/company in the buyer's cycle! hmmmmm?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

This person is an old acquaintance. They came up with an idea and decided to reach out to me to see if I could help.

Then when I told them I could, they asked, "Can you just introduce me to the person who will do the work?"

Hmm...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
tmartinback private msg quote post Address this user
That kind of activity is very prominent in the construction industry. An owner gets one of my subs to go go around me to do additional work during a project... when things go wrong, (as they often do), the owner then wants me to correct the problem. Not only will if fire the sub, the change order to the project just doubled!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Wow Belew that is presumptuous isn't it? Good for you tmartinback! I know those boundaries are difficult to keep especially with regard to friendships.

Curious - what did you do, give him the name & number or still deciding?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I intro'd them by email and let it go.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
noMotif private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

There are lots of different ways to go.

If you want a reputation as an authority, and thought leader I'd recommend not taking a finders fee.

If you want to make more immediate money, take the finders fee -- but this will essentially be a tax on your advice. People will be less inclined to see your advice as the first thing they want to hear.

If you're early in your reputation building I'd recommend no finders fee. If you're at the point where you want to start turning away clients, I'd say ask for the finders fee.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I think you took the 'higher' and better road, but I may question why a 'friend' would ask that of you.

I do 'virtual' introductions frequently, but not usually between my sub-contractors and potential clients. That is where I draw the line (if I recognize the person as a lead/potential client). I have spent too much of my past 'giving it away', yet I also believe in helping others and making introductions in most cases, just not in this one instance.

Thanks for a good discussion!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Here's my quote to do the original work.

Here's my quote (doubled) to fix that work when others do it first.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
I tell them where to go....the people that have a list such as the old "O-desk", unless they decide to hire me for the project and I do the outsourcing.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

People usually are telling me where to go.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
27480 15 15
destitute