BillBelew.com
Meetups

Meetup Arbitrarily Cancels Groups. Organizer1914

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I used to love Meetup. For the longest time I was a huge Meetup fan. Until today.

Meetup arbitrarily canceled 5 of my Meetup groups that I had managed for more than 6 years. They did so unilaterally and with no option for discussion or recourse.

I can't believe how foolish I am.

It is seriously enough to make a preacher cuss.

How many times have I sworn off building a presence on another platform.

Then I would do it, only to have the platform owners change their policies ... unilaterally ... and turn the screws to me.

It happened yet again today.

After building up my Meetups to 12,000+ members I got an email ... your Meetup will be closed in 7 days.

"Our decision is final and your group will not be reinstated."

It's times like this I'd like to cuss... though I know that wouldn't help.

But I want to.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
jgerk private msg quote post Address this user
A little cussing can do no harm.

Joy
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Summerbay private msg quote post Address this user
How infuriating! I've had that happen, too.

"Your account has been compromised...We're not going to tell you how or allow you to fix it. We're not even going to correspond with you. Get lost."

Makes you want to tear hair, and I don't mean my own.

Wendy
Post 3 • IP   flag post
feelitfitness private msg quote post Address this user
I have also experienced this. Not with a marketing or social application but with Ebay.

I had close to 50 sales per day for almost 3 months before they sent me an email " Your seller account has been restricted and can not be reinstated, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Then they give you some BS customer service number and they tell you word for word what the email said.

I was profiting about 800 dollars per week and making full time income. I was, needless to say, quite upset.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
PatS private msg quote post Address this user
How annoying! Sounds like the d not fly list. But why would a company do this? Are you not providing some level of income for them? I don't get it... Sorry you are experiencing this...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jgerk

I don't feel like cussing a little.

I feel like cussing a lot!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
I swore by Meetup for a long time ... the only platform I have ever used that didn't yank things out from under me ... until today.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

That really sucks. I have built things that were dependent on the performance and whims of others far too often ...

Sorry to hear they did that to you.

What did you bounce back to do?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
PatS private msg quote post Address this user
As a point of our education, why do companies to that? Are they selective re: who they dump or are they going out of business? Is there anything to look for in advance?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@PatS

If I knew the answer to that question ...

I think the thing is they look at who is doing the most of what and where they are generating the most income, and start focusing on that. It has to be about self-interest at some point.

Seldom are moves made with altruistic motives.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
tmartinback private msg quote post Address this user
What were you paying, having that many members? My fees for my meetup group jumped when I reached 200 members, I can only imagine but with 12k members, you must have been doing something right, what was your platform?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
LewisLinks private msg quote post Address this user
Well, that is unpleasant news! You've clearly crossed some threshold that displeased the gatekeepers.

What information, if any, can you capture before you are shut down? I assume you can still communicate with the crowd.

And I assume you'll find a positive in this -- I'm thinking of a couple already.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@tmartinback

12K members was spread across 12 groups.

I dont know what I was paying. $89.99 for 3 groups? Or smth like that.

They only canceled 4 of my 12 groups.

I am bracing myself.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@LewisLinks

Of course I did smth wrong, I always do. It's my nature to push the limits then gripe when I am called out for overstepping them.

What peeves me is the lack of dialog to make corrections. Unilaterally making a decision on their part.

I think that is uncool.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew Uncool indeed. And they chalk it up to the rules, without conversation and often without recourse.

It is generally not a customer service world, is it?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
"Unilaterally making a decision on their part."

Yep. That's the thing.

And it's why it is critical to have a website of your own as the foundation of all your online presence. Everything -- facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Meetup, eBay, Etsy... whatever social media, ecommerce, or other sites -- you need everything anchored in, and referencing, your primary website.

That website needs to be yours, too. Your own domain name, and self-hosted. WordPress is a good choice but isn't mandatory. Remember, though, that free sites like Wix or Weebly, etc., can get you in just as much of a bind when they change the deal, too.

Use your website to direct people too your other activities and as a "home base" for the people you reach through those other sites. Then, when your account is closed on a social or service site, your tribe will know where to find you.

Same Bat channel. Same Bat cave.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@LewisLinks

Customer service = how can we get the customer to service us?

The strategy now is to use the customer for quality control.

"Let's do this to the customer and see how it plays out. The customer will let us know if it's a good or bad idea."

argh...
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Rev

And, be sure, that at some time they will 'change the deal.'
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Rev Well said. Just as in life, it is important to have a foundation online that is solid rather than slippery.

It may be that the best way to do that is to create your own and hold onto it, not relying too heavily on outside tools. Of course there are advantages to tools like Meetups, which Bill has been using for more than six years that I know of.

But, like the old hymn says, "the arm of flesh will fail you." And so will the arm of tools. Even HyperCard is gone.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Belew

"Let's do this to the customer and see how it plays out. The customer will let us know if it's a good or bad idea."

uh... isn't that what they call "split testing"???
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@LewisLinks

By all means, use the tools. Try new ones. Experiment. Keep the ones that work for you for as long as they are available.

But always direct the traffic back to your website. Then, no matter what tool, site, or program, disappears you can easily roll on to the next one and let your tribe know.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Rev

It's what I call making the customer your quality control.

"If you don't like something bring it back and we will replace it."

It's cheaper to replace smth than institute a quality control arm.

"How abt I bring it back and you pay me for my trouble, too?"
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Hey, 12,000 Meetup members in 12 groups, that's probably somewhat close to a world record. Normally, Meetups close down because there aren't enough members to justify having the group go on. Sometime it's the lead organizer of a specific group that is the problem. I've seen in some instances where the position of 'meetup organizer' was offered to any of the other members in the same group, before the group was closed down. Where do you Meetup for groups the size of 1,000 members per group; and how many actual members attend any single organized Meetup?

Personally, I'm searching for any Meetup groups for 50+ Boomers/Elders. Does anybody know of any 50+ groups that want to discuss the possible options for a successful transition from their own corporate life to a more enlightened retirement life? Cheers!
Post 23 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” -

Besides bootlegging the Kennedy dynasty made a bulk of their wealth by insider trading.

Then, they helped to form what we now know as the "SEC," which ironically "protects" the average consumer from "insider trading."

Put another way - it's another case of "I got mine. Er, no, you don't get to do the same."
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Belew Yeah it was pretty crappy of them for sure

I actually started selling on Bonanza instead. They are just like Ebay except they have actual customer service

And you only pay final value views based on your advertising fees only, so if you drive your own traffic to your store, you sell for free. It's really a good setup. Not a lot of traffic because they use Google so you are kind of at the mercy of everyone else selling similar products.

I also started my website to sell my own product too. I have had quite a bit of small success since I subscribed to your forum. Using marketing strategies and improving the site itself.

Up to 10 clients now since April which is not too bad considering my site still only gets 60 to 75 organic traffic per day via search engines, then of course traffic I drive personally via twitter, pinterest, facebook, stumbleupon, and hubpages.

Need to get more traffic to improve my sign up rate for sure.
Got my Twitter followers up to 1100 in 2 months though, so I am proud of that for sure. Just got keep putting in that effort every day.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

How many clients do you want?

Simple math ... if you did this much effort since that much time and got 10. Multiply the effort.

The good news is that growth is not linear. The growth at some point will be greater than the effort put in.

The best way to get more traffic is to give people more stuff to come to = inbound.

Or you can run yourself ragged shouting here there and everywhere = outbound.

I am glad you found some good advice here. 8-)
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I am looking to get to 100 clients before the end of the year.

And yes I completely agree, simple math and putting your effort where it accounts for the long term change.

I added the blog and started getting more viewers and subscribers.
I added a freebie for just subscribing and got more viewers.
I use crowdfire for Twitter and it really helps with my traffic as well.

I am looking for more inbound ideas if you have any advice on that as well aside from what I am already deploying.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

Here are 199 Ideas for Content to put on your Website.

When you are done with those ... I have a lot more.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Excellent! Thanks so much.

I will get to work
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

As I am sure you gathered... 10 is a somewhat arbitrary number.

Could be 6, 7 or 13 ...

But I think you get the idea.

These are easy to write but give high quality and credibility to your site.... and results.

Be sure to include your CTA on each post.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26766 36 30
destitute