The first says, “I am laying bricks.”

The second says, “I am building a church."

And the third says, “I am building the house of God.”

The first bricklayer has a job .
The second has a career.
The third has a calling.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
So VERY true! I believe I currently given a 'gift' (my business) that is soon leading to my 'calling'. Having been in ministry for years (my husband is a Pastor), I do understand what that 'calling' really means. It also often means changing direction at a moments notice. I wonder how many others have had to do that? Change your course (whether it is life, business, passion or calling) with very little prep time?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@tammysoffices

I am a part-time pastor. It's a calling, for sure.

My daily job? I make it my calling but I don't do as good a job of thst as I'd like to.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
While it seems like the third is the "highest" calling, the problem is that unless the first lays some bricks and helps the 2nd to build a church, you may never get to #3.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
All three. Plus, as the architect and visionary, I would be viewing the project as a masterpiece that honors God. As the bricklayer building a house of God I would be doing my best to honor God by the talent He gave me. As the Bricklayer who is building a church, I would be concerned with the details so God would be glorified. As the Bricklayer doing the job, I would be doing the best job of laying bricks I could with the gift God gave me.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Katie_Ellen private msg quote post Address this user
Number 1. Whatever job comes to my hand, professional or personal, I want to give it my best attention. If other things feed or arise from that effort, well, heaven is in a blade of grass.

And I am not in Spain
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jycmba but what if the brick layer and/or the builder's calling is to the job they are doing?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices - exactly my point.

On the surface and the problem with a lot of the guru's & coaches around is that we should all be architects.

As @Belew said elsewhere, there are too many architects, or chiefs, or whatever we want to call them..

..and not enough bricklayers, Indians or "do-ers"!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@jycmba - yes, way too many - everyone going after the lime-light and nobody willing to DO the hard work! It is difficult just find help or reliable help to work. Do you find that as well?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices - y, if you mean finding someone else reliable willing to do the work. But that means it's probably me getting the job done!

Not because I believe I'm the only one capable, but rather than trying to figure out who to hire / how much to pay, etc., sometimes it's better just to get it done!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
DIN Do it now or DIM Do it myself. Not because I'll do it better, as you say, but because that way I can make sure it gets done, and be free of the worry of unfinished business. Control freakery!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@jycmba - I understand that fully!

In what I do, however, it is part of my 'mission' find those called to lay bricks, build house, and so on (as my company helps to empower disabled professionals to work). I do not discriminate against 'non-disabled' though, either.

So you see, for me it is a 'DIN' to empower others to 'DIM' (or is it DIT - 'do it themselves'? Lol) @Katie_Ellen . Admittedly it is difficult to find others, usually the non-disabled who want to work hard and be reliable (at least in my experience).
Post 12 • IP   flag post
And here's what makes it even more confusing..

Sometimes we have to slow down to go faster..

Post 13 • IP   flag post
Love this example - esp. b/c that is exactly WHAT we do! We give people back their time, money, organization and do 'green'! You made the point for using our services exactly!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices if you'd like to use this video or have a similar made, let me know!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Great example WHY we need to have others help us - WHY we need to have others who make less than we do, to help us do the tasks and WHY we need to set up systems in place - love it!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen

DIM = not scalable.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen @tammysoffices

DIY = Do It Yourself.

DFY = Done For You

are what I usually see.

Oh, one more - DIM WIT is what ppl say about me.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Exactly @Belew! If you want to make money and get anywhere in biz, eventually you will have to relinquish some of the duties/tasks to others (not a bad thing - just hand over the things you hate to do and keep that which you love to do).
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

If I can get someone else to do it, I will.

If it something nobody else can do but me, I will do it.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the correction @Belew - I was saying the other way, I think b/c at times have to teach or train others before it can be DFY - but love having it DFY for the tasks I do not like to do so I can focus on bringing in more business and empowering more disabled professionals - this helps me move from working IN my biz to ON my biz!
Post 21 • IP   flag post
DIM WIT...I doubt it.

DIM not scalable...it is for me. What can I do at this time from a wheelchair with assistance, and what at this time can I do involving no outside assistance whatsoever? The capacity is variable. But I know what you mean
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen I understand what you are saying, but you may be surprised how much work you Can take in and may have opportunity to share/out-source some of it to help you.

There are downfalls sometimes, as discussed and if you are writing, you may not want their work with your name/company name on it. So it would depend on the type of work also. I also think it depends on your contentment. If you are happy to be doing what you do and love and do not want more work, etc... Saying it is just perfect for you then that is wonderful b/c not many people can say that they are and many continue to search for what will fulfill them (not speaking spiritually here, discussing strictly employment). If that is you, that is amazing you should stick with it, knowing what you can do and how much you can take in, etc...you are what most want to be like.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices @Katie_Ellen

Here's a thread I started a while back ..

17 Tangible Ways I Measured the Effectiveness of My Virtual Ass't
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Awesome - thank you @Belew!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@belew as I am still very new to the community, I was not sure if some threads are 'shareable'? For instance the article you just shared with us? thank you
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

By all means, share. But thx indeed for your consideration.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Absolutely @tammysoffices !

Working ON our business vs. IN - something most folks don't realize is that this makes ALL the difference.

In reality if all you do is work IN, where you ARE the business - then, you're not really building a business.

You're building a job that one day no one else is going to want. This discussion inspired me to quickly make this video..

Post 28 • IP   flag post
Great video @jycmba - wish you were on fiverr (haha - just kidding, I am sure you are worth much more!). That was awesome, it takes me so long to put those together (I really am just too much of a perfectionist and rework it over and over - have to some lessons here - am learning already!). Thanks everyone!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Actually, I am on Fiverr - jycmba

But it's like that saying about giving fish vs. teaching how to fish.. Let me PM you access @tammysoffices to the previous workshop for Showbox.

If anyone is interested in learning Adobe Spark, here's the signup - and we'll plan on teaching this soon.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
27488 30 30
destitute