BillBelew.com
Business Advice

For some a badge, for me embarrassing. You?1917

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have heard someone repeatedly 'brag' about how many businesses they have started. A dozen or so?

Really?

What i want to know is where are those businesses now?

Which is more important to you? How many things someone has started or how many enduring businesses have they created?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Belew

I agree that enduring success is the best measure. But I think you and the other guy are defining success differently.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner

I could launch 10 websites and call them each a business.

Starting is easy. Finishing is harder. Sustaining even harder still.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
@belew yes enduring is harder, but what if they are all still thriving businesses, is he then successful at business? hmmm
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

If they were still thriving I'd be impressed. They aren't.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I've done a lot of things -- jobs, businesses, adventures. Some were great successes. Some I sold and moved on. Some I quietly folded and moved on. Some were miserable failures and I moved on. I learned from all of them.

One of the greatest things I learned from moving on, trying and adapting to new things, was the ability to adapt to new things. These days, with change rushing upon us with a certain ferocity, it has turned out to be an asset.

I think it isn't how many, it is what you can do (have done) with them that matters. As @Jonner says, "...you and the other guy are defining success differently."

Different strokes for different folks.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

In your 60s we can say we tried a lot of things.

In our 30s, can we say the same?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@belew - good point!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I could, but that is because I chose that path from my teens. By the time I was 30 I had already tried -- done -- a lot of things.

I was fortunate. When I was about 16 I heard a positive motivation guru speak about the 40 year plan -- you know,

1 - go to school and get a degree,

2 - work for 40 years as a good employee doing the same thing for most of it,

3 - retire wondering what you are going to do.

No matter the company or the "niche", the outcome is pretty much the same.

He called those three stages:

1 - learning

2 - earning

3 - yearning

and I decided right then I wasn't going to like it very much so I chose a different path. I've been learning ALL of my life, I've been earning MOST of my life, and (so far) I have been yearning NONE of my life. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

The thing is, it is never to late to change paths. A couple of people in this group who offer awesome services to "seniorpreneurs" must believe that if they believe at all in what they offer.

It's never to early to change, either. It's always RIGHT NOW. If you are young and you have only done one thing, do something else. Now.

Some people think they can't. They have commitments. Family. Home. Mortgage. Car. Sure. I had those things. I chose a path and did what was necessary to follow it. What was it Henry Ford said... "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right!"
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Love it @Rev - so true! I chose to stay home with our children and always thought when the last one went to kindergarten I would go back and finish my degree & work in corporate world again. It did not work out that way. When my son was only 3, I became very ill and nobody could tell me what was going on. Six months, Seven doctors & seven hospitals later (including Hopkins), I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Point being 'PLANS & PATHS CHANGE' - all of the time.

I didn't just sit down and whine about it, but learned how to live joyfully in spite of it. Here I am now, with children grown, and running my own business! I never thought I would be doing this, but I made choices along the way that made a difference in my life and I have a 'never give up' attitude helps. Of course I also am big dreamer & believer.

It is good to plan, I love to plan and know what is coming next, but the saying 'life happens', is so right and you have to decide in those tough life time moments, 'who you are' and to 'whom you belong'; not to mention most of all 'what you believe and value'. These will be the things in life that will get you through the hard times and help you stay the course or change the path.

Thanks for sharing Rev.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

My first wife and I had and raised two wonderful girls. I taught them a lot of things during that time. I believe the very best thing I taught them out of all of it was to make choices. Not HOW to make choices but to have the will, and to take the action, to actually MAKE them; not to sit by and let life happen to you.

It seems to me you grasp(ed) the same concept. Nice.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Thank you @Rev. I think we have to this down to our children as well. I can remember even in their very youngest days if they 'disobeyed', 'called someone a name', etc... I often said, 'what would have been a better choice than this?' or 'what could you have done differently'; this way they KNOW it is a choice and an action they are involved in. I am very proud of them today, they grew up to be wonderful young adults and love seeing their lives evolve as they step out and try different 'choices' out.

Thanks for the good conversations.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

Giving to our children.

I gave ALL of my right brain ability to my artist older son.
I gave ALL of my left brain ability to my scientist younger son.
I gave ALL of my good looks to my little girl.

I have nothing left. Just a dried up prune of an old man. 8-)
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You have unlimited love. Give the three of them equal amounts of that daily.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Rev

There are 6 kids in the family I grew up in.

I asked my dad hiw he divided his heart among us.

He told me, "I dont need to divide up my heart. Each time I was blessed with one of you guys I grew another heart."
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Your father was a wise man. You should listen to him. ;o)
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Too funny @Belew, although I doubt you are a prune! haha

Yes, @Rev, I agree, he was Wise indeed! I love that explanation Belew. I remember when I was carrying my daughter and my son was just coming up on 2 yr old, before I delivered, I wondered how on earth I could love this new baby as much as I loved our son, Matthew. Then she was born and my heart and love increased, ever so naturally and complete. The same happened when our third was born a few years later!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I was the 5th of 6 kids and the black sheep in the family.

When I left home for college I think it was 6 months to a year before anybody noticed I was gone.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Awwww @Belew - somehow I doubt that!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Collective sigh from Belew family...

"::whew:: He's gone! Yay!"

...see, they noticed!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I think they all noticed there was more food at the table than usual. And it finally dawned on them there was one less mouth.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
28311 21 21
destitute