BillBelew.com
Career AdviceInspiration

Barnes & Noble Cures Desires to Write a Book1921

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Have you ever felt like writing a book?

Take a trip to a local Barnes & Noble and perhaps the desire will go away quite quickly ... or not.

I have never seen so many books about so many different subjects all in one place.

Whenever I feel like writing a book, B&N will squash my desire rather quickly.

How do you deal with overwhelm?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
I hate the quote that asks how you eat an elephant and says one bite at a time. Come on, who wants to one of these majestic creatives?

Besides being endangered, I don't imagine them tasting very good!

And, of course, we know that "journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.."

But it's true that the Greek goddess Nike offers the simple but effective wisdom of "just do it.."

Still, sometimes we need a bit of encouragement. Other times a bit of motivation.. In the end there's no getting around a whole lot of perspiration..

Resistance is just another form of fear - and "fear is the mind killer.."

Yet, you might be surprised what happens when you face
That Dreaded Mile 18

Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
FEAR is an acronym. False Evidence Appearing Real.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Rev - I was learning today how part of the problem is that our amygdala (FEAR Central) is over-developed, while our front cortex is still a baby in evolutionary terms.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Writing a book especially the first one is difficult and extremely overwhelming. I started researching & writing my book in the local public Library because I didn't have my own personal computer. I took the traditional approach of writing my first book manuscript pen on paper. It was scary! I didn't have any knowledge about Microsoft Word or e-Pub even though I sometimes watched other people type up their manuscript on the computer. Stay tuned for the continuation of my personal story.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

Do tell more.

I yell ppl that even a monkey can write a book. Perhaps not a good one. Getting the book read is the hard part.

Kudos to you for having the diligence to see a book thru to completion.

What's your strategy to get it read?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member almcdermid private msg quote post Address this user
I worked at a B&N for two years, best-seller section, watched books disappear after two weeks. And never once was I discouraged from writing my own books.

Yes, my books are not widely read, but that's a separate issue. No one will ever read most of what I've written. Writing is a compunction; might as well package the results and put it out there. Someone might enjoy it.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@almcdermid

I have the urge to write from time to time, but not if it ain't gonna get read....

BUT then again, I might anyways...
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@almcdermid I agree. I've written loads of books, and the sales are very low. I often walk into second hand book stores and stare aghast at all the books written. An opshop near us is giving a box of books for just $1 - you can't compete with that.

But, I do love writing and it is certainly more of a desire and a compunction, as you say.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@SusanDay @almcdermid

Where do you think that compunction (great word!) comes from?

Is it natural? Can it be developed?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Member almcdermid private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay A dollar a box, and you write nonetheless, yes?

I think the creative impulse resides in all of us; writing is how I mostly express it.

I write what I like to read; others liking it is gravy. And yes, I'd sell like to write a best-seller.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Belew compunction - just one of my favorite words which sounds wonderful when you say it slowly - I have a lost list

@almcdermid Yep! Last year Aldi had lovely children's books for $4 each ... and I still write and illustrate my own ...

It's one of my creative outlets, which lifts my soul
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Ernest Hemingway to an aspiring writer: "You shouldn't write if you can't write."
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Belew Writing your first book is overwhelming enough. Then, the thought of Marketing your book produces feelings like your in another World. The competition is vicious. If you can't afford a Marketing agent to help you sell a truckload of your books then you must 'hire yourself' to sell a book at a time.

I know that there are very few if any Authors in Canada that have written and marketed a book about Senior Entrepreneurs. I have a printed copy version, an e-book version and/or a PDF version for sale.

At the present time I don't do any seminars or workshops to market my first book. And, I don't use the book for any other commercial activity. I know that this subject is popular and there are many seniors willing to Startup a small business as part of their retirement life. The right marketing is probably the key. I will need to spend a lot more time on the marketing side to get better results.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@almcdermid - there are plenty of research papers that 99.999% of the world will ever see, much less read.

But somewhere in those are cures for diseases, solutions for energy crisis and just about every major innovation to come.

Unlike Schrödinger's cat, they do matter very much even though most of us will never see them!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
I love writing and have many, many books in the marketplace. Regular sales channels are not the place to make sales so phooey to B&N Your own list buys as do publishers in other countries. Think about your book as another marketing tool you can use as a freemium to upsell to your other items.

I finally got my contract finalized from a publisher in China - nothing mainstream works quite as well as royalties.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Oh, yes - let's not forget doing things because we LOVE to do them as @bdaoust says!

Imagine a work where each person did meaningful work. No, it doesn't have to be all fun & games.

I have to admit that sometimes editing videos drive me crazy, but overall I love that feeling of flow, when I'm so in the zone that time flies!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

Tell us more abt your China experience.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew It is interesting working with a foreign country, they actually take taxes from your royalty checks. I guess there is no reciprocal agreement between China and Canada or the US.

I have a foreign agent (Bob Erdmann, lives in Walnut Creek) that I deal through. The process has been very easy this way. He has actually sold rights to my books in 7 different countries. He does specialize in non-fiction. Of course, the topic has to be of interest as well.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust

But does he sell books?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Belew He sells publishing contracts to foreign publishers, who in turn sell the books
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust I was warned off publishing my children's books in China by an author, but she was a piece of work.

The US booksellers take tax out of my royalty checks and Australia has a tax agreement with the US. With one, I pay 5% US and then tax here.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
My accountant used to say that paying a lot of taxes was good. It meant I was making a lot of money.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust My subject is senior entrepreneurship which is presently going global as a 50+ seniorpreneur movement. Is there a way that I could introduce my non-fiction book to foreign publishers OR foreign Marketing agents? Thanks!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur My foreign agent is Bob Erdmann, Columbine Communications. His email is bob@bob-erdmann.com. Just tell him I sent you and take it from there.

Good luck!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@bdaoust Dr. Bette, Thanks very much for the foreign publishing/marketing agent info.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Seniorpreneur

Keep us posted!
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Member Mammoth1 private msg quote post Address this user
@bdaoust Dr.Bette. Does your foreign agent represent fiction writers as well?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Mammoth1 Unfortunately he only takes non-fiction
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Member Mammoth1 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you I will keep him in mind for when I do a non-fiction book
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29756 36 30
destitute