BillBelew.com
Inspiration

Getting a late start on success...1926

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am reading a biography of John Wooden. He didn't start his string of coaching 7 consecutive NCAA basketball championship teams until he was 57 and had already been coaching for more than 30 years and studying/playing the game for more than 40 years.

Hmmm...

We have quite a few here who have been at 'it' for quite some time now.

Do tell what you have learned.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member JLTCoach private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew
For me Bill, it was never making the high school basketball team year after year that inspired me to stay with the sport I loved. Once I began coaching an association league, I realized that I could still enjoy the game I loved from the bench.

After that, got a chance to coach high school,AAU and college, lucky to have been successful at every level.

30 years later, I still feel.like I I just started coaching the game again.when you do what you love and have a passion for, it's not work!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@JLTCoach

Find a job you love and you never are to work a day in your life. Confucius.

What coach/es do you look up to?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
As mentioned by @Seniorpreneur, Colonel Harlan Sanders of KFC fame didn't get his entrepreneurial start until well into his 60s.

Broke and living on social security, Sanders packed his car and went from restaurant to restaurant to make a handshake deal that they'd pay him 5 cents for each piece of chicken sold using his recipe.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Not an entrepreneur but Winston Churchill wasn't Winston Churchill till after he was 60.

He was just another senator and always on the wrong side until they needed smb to stand up to Hitler.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tmartinback private msg quote post Address this user
If you have a heart beat and a desire, you can do what ever you want. I'm in my 60's and starting my 3rd career and it's a whole lot more fun than the first 2!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@tmartinback That's great to hear!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
I have had a checkered up and down career as an architect. I paid for my college education by working as a journeyman carpenter. from the late 1960's until I closed my office in 2008, I alternated between working in the construction field and architectural offices. I started my firm at the bottom of a recession and weathered two more real recessions and a couple minor turn downs. In essence I am a serial entrepreneur having started my own architectural (and later architecture/construction) firm 3 time from scratch -no clients, no capital, and no hope of finding a different job/career. Still, the phone rang and someone heard from someone that I had a good reputation as an architect and I was back in business! My last 24 years out of 38 total in my business was wholly referral based.

What it boils down to is: Word of mouth referrals that comes from doing the best for your clients (customers for those in retail) can be the best and most stable stream of revenue an entrepreneur can gain.

Currently I am trying to build my Etsy store by providing great customer experience and high quality products for reasonable prices.

My current problem is to get enough "eyeballs" on the "store" so that people will buy and enough customers will brag on my store and like, refer, fave, etc. so that more people will become customers.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart @ Do you have a website and blog to attract organic customers?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Oh - did I say I am 74 years old and have a lot of fun creating artworks and useful items in wood.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Clydeart

That's the problem with Etsy. It's a great selling platform but it's a poor marketing vehicle. As @SusanDay says, you will want to have your own domain name and self-hosted website with a blog to get your marketing foundation in place.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@susanday - Yes, I have a Wordpress (free) site/blog and am trying to pull together material for my blog. The website is linked to Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter and I have had some people find me because of those links.

When I post an item it links the article to posts on those accounts.

One of my items on the website was linked to Pinterest by someone.

Both the Etsy store and the Website are relatively new and I need to get busy posting some more items in more regular fashion on the Wordpress Site.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member JLTCoach private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew
That is an easy one.... The legend, Dean Smith! had the pleasure of meeting him the summer of '92, before they won his second National Championship. Had the pleasure of coaching his grandson a couple of years ago. My coaching philosophy has always mirrored his....and it works! Simplicity, respect and fun!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart It takes time, but you'll get there. I have learnt so much on this forum and I am really seeing good organic visitors. I've even started writing content for other people too.

Let me know if I can help you share your work
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart - as you know, not all social media are alike.. some like Pinterest & Instagram are more visual and ideal for things like Etsy.

While it does no good to be like the street hawker shouting "buy! buy now!" The trick is to get to be talked about by influencers. These don't need to be Oprah's of your niche.

What can you show that is "entertaining, educational or inspirational"? Better yet, can you make it a video?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Jycmba, Excellent link to the "make it a video" article!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Jycmba I echo @globalman22 on the Thanks! for the video article. Since I am competent with iMovie and have some experience and skill in organizing and editing movie content (not just your typical home movies)I think I will Get some footage of making things as in "How To DIY something" and grab some stills from projects and put them in the movie all do a "Here's a Craftsmanship technique" video that features a couple products toward the end. I would concentrate on a single process/procedure with only a few steps in each video to keep interest high.

Then put these video shorts up on various places such as my Facebook, YouTube, etc.

Any comments on this approach will be appreciated.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the feedback @Clydeart - y, grabbing your stills is the easiest way. But using the photo search isn't a bad deal either!

"How to" is one of the top categories in YouTube. People are just starting to catch on to using these on Facebook. Either way, getting down your process and posting repeatedly is key!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart

I'd like to see the end result.

Will you show us here, plz?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
When I get a result, I will post it here. Off to techShop San Jose this week with i-camera and tripod in hand!

I do have two still images that could be used somewhere - using old (antique) tool to tune up an antique chair. (The Shop stands in the photos are antiques also!)

Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart

I see 2 antiques in this pic. Which is which?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
lol @Belew - I remember some folks giving me heat about making a comment like that! Then again, I deserved it, too!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Actually 4 antiques. The background WorkMate bench is from the 1950's and a "technical antique" per ebay. The chair is an antique as well as the spiral ratchet screwdriver. as for the worker - I am a "technical antique" having been born during WW II. I am not a Boomer or any other labeled generation.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Actually Clydeart, they do have a label for your generation, you are known as the radio-ager. Those before the baby-boomers whose entertainment and information came through the radio..
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@tmartinback Well. I might have started by listening to the radio, but by my age 6 my Dad had scratch-built a 7" screen TV (in 1948) which we (my younger brother and I) watched for only two hours a day. That was all the programming available in the area we lived.

My parents were in the Radio Generation because it was their entertainment while they grew up to adulthood. They were later tagged as "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw who wrote the book.

I believe I am in a twilight generation because we bridged the gap between the Great Depression and the affluence of post WW II prosperity.

My generation witnessed TV newscasts about the Korean War, Ed Sullivan, Hopalong Cassidy, Kukla Fran and Ollie, Howdy Doody, the initiation of the Disney channel, and for us boys, a crush on Annette Funicello. For the Girls it was Johnny Mathis. As we came into adulthood we went through the assassination of JFK, Hippies, and Vietnam. Many of us who were veterans of military service during the 'nam era struggled with vitriol against us in finding jobs and careers.

I guess I ranted on a bit too long ... {;<
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart

What rant? Keep it coming. ....
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Clydeart,
You must have been part of the wealthy people we heard about when I was young, (wink, wink, nod, nod) we didn't have TV until the early 60's. You ain't much older than me... I enlisted in the Army in 71 and my last hurrah was Operation Desert Storm. Keep ranting brother
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@tmartinback Not "rich". My dad was a radio announcer (rural station WFVA) at the time who was looking to secure his future with acquired knowledge. Radio Shack had a closeout on DIY TV kits which weren't selling well and he and his employer were able to get the kits at a steep discount in exchange for some radio advertising spots.

@belew
Hmmm ... maybe my rants would make good blog or other posts for drawing attention to my Etsy site. (?)Kinda quirky but maybe cool?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart - authenticity is the "new black."

Post 29 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Clydeart

"... maybe my rants would make good blog or other posts for drawing attention to my Etsy site."

There ya go!
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29144 37 30
destitute