BillBelew.com
BloggingCommunityContent MarketingNews

Can I Ask You Just One Thing?1933

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, we're all creating all kinds of content - news, how to, etc..

At the same time many of us are interact in different ways in social media..

..and here's the thing - the next time you see someone sharing something else about an act of violence or terrorism, would you ask this?

"Are you being part of the problem or part of the solution by sharing this?"

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Passing stuff around juat for passing's sake is the old-fashioned equivalent of gossip.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
almcdermid private msg quote post Address this user
"When a thought of war comes, oppose it by a stronger thought of peace." 'Abdu'l-Bahá

I remember this and not pass it along. At the same time, I want to know. If there is a problem, it's in what the big media chooses to parade before us.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@almcdermid Beautiful quote. Thank you for sharing it. I knew it well so very long ago when I was a member of the Baha'i Faith.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jycmba You are right. If we only share items of love and hope, what a world it would be.

@almcdermid we are certainly conditioned to repeat what the large media companies show us sll the time.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
almcdermid private msg quote post Address this user
@SusanDay One of my favorites.

I pay enough attention to know what's happening, but I'm going to think other thoughts. As Buddha said, Bad actions follow bad thoughts like a cart follows an ox.

In the face of big media, it seems an impossible battle, but one can at least not contribute to the chatter. I try, anyway.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
I wonder what would happen if we all shared positive ideas, thoughts, news for one day??
Post 7 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Great question - we need a "Positive News Day"!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Katie_Ellen private msg quote post Address this user
I do worry that while we rightly cherish freedom of speech, and will continue to send the message that in our society, we value and mourn each and every living and murdered individual, that if publicity is oxygen, we are intensely gratifying those we do not wish to reward, inform or warn in any way.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
In a world where people are free to say anything some will say anything.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Yes, and there needs to be an expectation of consequences. With freedom comes responsibility.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen

Problems arise when many cannot agree on the meaning of responsibility.

How would you define being responsible?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I would not, Bill. Prescription is fraught and I can't be doing with a currently emergent thought police. A UK police force has just declared it will treat wolf whistling as a hate crime. I would say that is a risible, ridiculous waste of a public resource already under great strain. Wolf whistling does make people uncomfortable. I remember it well enough. It also sharpens the wits in responding, and what happened to self reliance and wit. I have been attacked on the street as a very young woman and emerged just fine but wolf whistling is a mile off. The concept of responsibility depends on context but starts and ends with an expectation of personal accountability.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen

What is wolf whistling?
Post 14 • IP   flag post

Post 15 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
It feels great when I feel that I can be part of the solution.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
26002 16 16
destitute