BillBelew.com
BloggingBusiness AdviceContent Marketing

I Know, I Know - You Told Me So..1935

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, this is so bad..

I hope this never happens to anyone here!

@Belew @Rev and the others constantly remind us why we need to own the platform..

This is a "build it and they may tear it down" Field of Bad Dreams story..

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Jycmba

Hi John
Yes you have shown the "perfect" story to make your point that you need to own your own platform.

It also makes the point that only you are responsible for backup. For example my ISP does not backup the websites that I host with them. My UpDraftPlus plugin does it.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

Wow. Sadly I am not surprised.

Gives us pause to ask, how dependent are we on our gmail and google drives?

We might want to reconsider, eh?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone relying on social media sites (of any size or type, including Blogger and WordPress blog sites) as the foundation for their online presence needs to rethink their plan.

It is important to have your own domain name, commercial hosting, and self-hosted website. Create your own backups and be sure to have copies secured off-site.

I have been helping clients create foundational online presence for years now and I am still saddened by how many come to me only after a loss expecting some kind of magical recovery.

You need to be proactive. If there is no backup there is nothing to recover. After the loss is too late to begin planning and preparing for recovery.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
What @Rev says.

@jycmba... makes you wonder abt peeps who out all their stuff in a Youtube channel, too, eh?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev @Belew - the Internet is the ultimate balance beam of risk and reward.

On the one hand you get access to the world and vice versa. On the other you want safety and security.

Neither extreme is ideal. Sure, you can have all your content on lock down, but what good is safety, if nobody knows about it?

Likewise, as you point out, what good is building an asset that someone can pull the plug at anytime?

In reality none of us own the world wide web in the end. There by the grace of God or whatever you call your creator goes the daily stream of megabytes that miraculously reach their intended destination and do their magic.

Control and safety are all illusions in the end that help us cope in an uncertain world. Like poker it's about risk tolerance and management, not risk avoidance. But at any point the improbable may happen, and the best we can do is to have been prepared.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
The point is convert your followers to be a part of your mailing list. No conversion, no business
Post 7 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
Oh darn, I just posted a thread about this. (@Bill can you please have that deleted?)

That was horrible. We at a local webmaster's group are talking about this too and we are all trying to scare the heck out of those who are still using other people's websites.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@KitK

Long time no see!!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
KitK private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Hey Bill! *Disappeared again*

But seriously, I only had time to lurk the forums. A lot of things happened. We moved apartment. I snagged a domain from a local celebrity (still figuring what to do with the domain) and main blog now reaching 1k daily visits.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@KitK

All is well I hope!
Post 11 • IP   flag post
27570 11 11
destitute