BillBelew.com
Business AdviceContent Marketing

How Do You Plan Your Week?1950

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious what folks do to set the tone for the week..

What's your method of setting goals and priorities?

How do you deal with interruptions and unexpected things that come up?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member feelitfitness private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba
I was just talking to a friend about this very same thing.
I always set the tone with a long workout on Sundays evenings, and really contemplate what I want to accomplish. I have a mantra that says "nothing this week will be harder than this right now". So as long as my intensity is there, my week seems pretty smooth next to the hell I put my body through.

My goal method is to always have a big 3. The 3 things that I want to accomplish before the year is up. Off of those big 3, I create a dozen or so actionable goals. Little micro-goals that are measurable daily. That way it is easier to see my progress and makes it easier to not get burned out quickly.

For example:
I am really pushing for more "active" subscribers to my website/blog. So my goal is to have 1000 active subscribers by the end of the year. So my micro-goals might look something like :

1. Write 3 engaging blog posts each day to send out to my subscribers and tweet it
2. Create a new topic in the discussion board and tweet it/email it
3. Write a detailed post about what I do with my day and it improves my life, tweet it/email it
4. Engage with my subscribers and followers one on one 5 times per day.
5. Follow/unfollow with crowdfire 3 times throughout the day.

Then you should list your intentions of what you want this actionables to do for you:
90+ subscribers per month
100 new twitter followers per day
5 new comments in my discussion board
Learn about 5 of my subscribers and who they really are.

I have been following this and it has really worked well for me so far. 1000 subscribers seems like alot to me since I am new to web hosting and blogging but I believe it is doable. With work of course, lots and lots of work.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Having a combination of "stretch goals" and those within reach is definitely key!

I have to admit that I still need to get better at choosing immediate targets to see how I'm doing towards the bigger goals.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

To me, having those immediate goals allow the larger goal to appear that much more possible to obtain.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Somewhere along the way I stopped laying out plans and setting goals. I think the results or lack of are a reflection of it, too.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I feel you on that. I used to think that way too until I found out how much I cant stand not improving. If I dont improve, I keep trying until I do. I just dont know how to sit still and found out if I fuel that spark, I can do a great deal more each day.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

I was so bent on goals and plans for so long. I think I grew tired of being tired.

It's a new phenomenon for me at this stage.

I have been in a funk for a while and admit to still having a haRd time getting out of it.

Baby steps I suppose.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

I took a closer look at your plan and.you do have a good one.

Do you have metrics that reflect results based on your efforts?

In that way you can gauge whether you need to increase or decrease intensity or change strategies?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Thanks for taking a look!
And yes I have a pretty good metrics chart. I always write down what I started with that day, subscribers, follow up emails, followers, leads, sales, etc. on my big white board in my office.

Then I write down my 3 actionables for the day. That board is visible if I barely look up from my computer monitors so its always there, watching lol.

As the day goes by I check each actionable and force myself if needed, to perform one. Alot of satisfaction drawing a line through out once I am done.

Then I measure the results of the day at noon and again after dinner. I draw lines from each actionable that caused whatever result :

Send 10 follow up emails = Received 3 replies, just for an example.

Then once I am done for the day, I take my beginning numbers vs my ending numbers and log them on my PC as a percentage. And since I know how long it takes to do each task during the day, I then reference it to how much work I actually put in.

So 30% of emails were replied to with 10 minutes of creating and sending out the email. So I would write 3/10 , 3 email replies in 10 minutes. Then the next day I would send out 11 follow up emails, or send out 10 again and work for 20 minutes instead of 10 minutes. Just keep adding and progressing until an obvious pattern of efficiency develops.

And If I start to lose sleep over it I will dial it back to where I started plus 10%. Kind of like a good strength training routine, sometimes you have to deload to reset yourself.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
"Set your goals in concrete and draw your plans in the sand!"

I do set goals -- both long and short term -- and manage plans for reaching them. I do set target dates but I don't follow a weekly calendar.

Because I have worked for myself for most of the last 45 years, and all of the last 16, and long ago reached the point where I could do much of what I chose on the day I chose it, I no longer had to wait for weekends, or check to see what day it was, in order to somehow be approved or allowed to take time off to do what I wanted.

As a result I set goals as needed, set target dates, and monitor progress daily (or so) which, for me, provides greater freedom and better results. Not for everyone, I suspect.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@feelitfitness

Good Googie Moogie.

Great detail.

Do you find yourself losing time just by keeping track of time spent or is it really keeping you more productive long term?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
I plan to spend my week (oops it is almost gone) entertaining out of town guests and then trying to get my head back into my business (the most difficult part these days).
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member Caffus private msg quote post Address this user
I take each moment as it comes. I try and do what I think is most important first.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
29764 13 13
destitute