BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspiration

Do you desire to enjoy or improve the world?1952

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
“I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world,” E. B. White once wrote. “This makes it difficult to plan the day.”

Which do you use to plan your day - enjoyment or improvement?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
lvlcaphoto private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew That's a hard one. To me, when I enjoy my day, planned or not, I am more focused on being happy, and therefore I am more adapt to improving someone's day. It could very well be a nice thing I do, or something I say or post, but it really ends up being a 1/2 of both. I plan my work day, but not necessarily the enjoyment part of it (with the exceptions of vacations, etc.), but as mentioned above, I plan on being happy, and therefore enjoyable.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely improve the world. Make at least one person besides close family members feel loved just for who they are. (The Greeks called it agape love - to love without expecting anything in return.)
Then there are a 1001 small things I can do personally to affect the environment positively. Then there is my art - to paint representations of beauty in order to overcome the dismalness of evil.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
Are they so dissimilar?

Surely, if you're improving the world doing what you love you are also enjoying it as well.

If you are enjoying the world your joyful disposition is improving the world for all.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
Both!
Colossians 3:17
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@fredhoot

What's that?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
Enjoy the world and appreciate the people in the past for making it possible for you to enjoy all the many opportunities. And, at the same time provide some time to give back, improve the world and create newer opportunities for future generations.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew when you do it all in His name, you can get the best of both worlds by both giving and receiving!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I truly enjoy the world. I watch for the little things, the amazing things, the wonderful things. As far back as I can remember I have always done this.

My current approach is to give something of value to as many people as I can. It is my small bit to improve the world and it adds to my enjoyment of it.

We can perceive and engage simultaneously. There is no reason to choose between the two.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Well said, @Rev!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
technoglyf private msg quote post Address this user
Does it have to be mutually exclusive? I'm working on the final draft of an editing and illustration project. It's an educational guide for middle schoolers and I'm enjoying the work "and" trying to make a difference. If you're doing creative work you can do both but even if not it's about balance work on making the world better if you will, but take the time to enjoy your friends and family, walk in the redwoods etc. as well.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Katie_Ellen private msg quote post Address this user
Who am I, to think I can improve the world? I can only do my best, one action or conversation at a time, and try not to leave footprints all over the place. But I don't do it, thinking to myself, let's try and improve the world.

I have sometimes, struggling with pain, actually told myself to go look out of the window or open the door...there's always something to enjoy, being one of the fortunate ones of this earth in my circumstances, even if illness took away my ability to run and walk as I used to.

The world is wonderful, and terrible. A vale of tears. There's endless wonder to enjoy; a bird, a beetle, the skies, people we love, people we meet with stories to tell, gifts to admire. We got born to be here.

And I'm not in Spain I'm in the UK.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Katie_Ellen

"Who am I, to think I can improve the world?"

You just did! Thanks for sharing.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Katie_Ellen private msg quote post Address this user
That reflects on your capacity for response, Rev, but thank you for the kind words. That improves my world
Post 14 • IP   flag post
"...The more it goes (Tiddely pom)"
Post 15 • IP   flag post
There are many ways to improve the world; "any" act of generosity for example. Give someone a smile.

And you know smiles have a potential for a chain reaction, people pass them on...

Before you know it you might get a HAPPINESS EXPLOSION!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
All the glip happiness stuff aside, there are many thankless jobs that have to be done, many are critical and while there may be satisfaction in having done what needs doing, "joy" definitely doesn't seem to fit.

That's where you need balance. If you're tasked with such a job you need to take the time away for yourself, acknowledge the good, ground yourself in it.

No matter how important the work if all you experience day in and day out is negative you'll burn out.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@technoglyf

I find that you can burn yourself out doing what you love as well, no?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
again balance, LOL
Post 19 • IP   flag post
PatMolina private msg quote post Address this user
I believe deep down every human being wants to do something good for the world. I think the issue more is, some people don't believe that they can make a difference.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
What difference do you want to make?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
SusanDay private msg quote post Address this user
@PatMolina @Belew Sometimes we are unaware of the way we improve the lives of others. A smile or a hello can make all the difference to someone feeling lonely. I would like to think that if we can offer hope, kindness and joy then we have given a lot.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
Do you remember your garbage men (or women)? You know -- those wonderful people who slip by in most any weather and pick up the trash you set out by the curb. Think about them. They are very important people in your life, especially if you are a property owner. Just imagine what would happen if they missed you, or your whole street, for a few weeks.

Valentine's Day is upon us. You remembered everyone else. Would a box of chocolates be too much?

Remember 2011?

Post 23 • IP   flag post
26086 23 23
destitute