BillBelew.com
BrainstormingContent CreationSEO

Obnoxious Copy Review Request1961

Member seoapexpredator private msg quote post Address this user
Text Copy Review Request:

the following copy is ( intentionally ) obnoxious.. the idea is it has to be MORE than merely "thought provoking", it has to "shake em up", to do as Tony Robbins says "interrupt your pattern": Can you guys choose between the following metaphors and vote on which one is the least offensive please?

1) there is no such thing as graphically, visually attracting Googlebot

2) Googlebot cannot see, feel or smell visual pheromones

3) a fur trapper or deer hunter uses an attractant...
deer urine or ode de beaver, or some musk kinda scent
to attract game...

there is one and only one Googlebot Attractant - text articles

4) the only thing that arouses Google is text articles, because that's the only thing Google can "read"

5) paying for a visually upgraded website is like upgrading from a Corvette to a Ferrari... looks real good sitting there
in the parking lot

... without text articles, there is no driver

that Ferrari isn't going any faster than your Chevy
Vega or Pinto did.. if it doesn't have a driver behind
the wheel

And this copy is intended to go on this domain:

http://www.LawOfficeOfMyHumongousEgo.com

thanks
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
#4.

I agree that text is king. However, visuals will KEEP users on the site longer than just text will.

Both are needed ... something to look at while the user reads or something to read while the user is looking at something.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Thanks Belew:
My argument and this argument is falling on deaf ears to my clients is this:

The battlefield is ranking in Google
unless and until that battle is won... no humans are ever going to see your Rembrandt of a website

Earn Domain Authority is blasting off the launch gantry
fussing over a website's visual aesthetics is worrying about how we're going to dock with the satellite... we ain't even got off the launch pad and you're worrying about WHAT?

Ignore a human audience 100% unless and until we earn domain authority
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@seoapexpredator

I like your priorites. Get found first, then get engaged, read, liked, shared.

Here's where I ask clients and students to start.

199 Ideas to Start Your Content Marketing

After we have this content or much of it or much like it ... only then should we focus on the 'look.'

You have the right priorities ... but the client is the boss.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
"but the client is the boss"...
I ditch client's who aren't or can't get on board

otherwise I'm dragging them kickn n screaming into doing what needs to be done

If I don't ditch them as soon as I detect intransigence... then they're gonna get pissed off and quit and bad mouth me

I don't need paying clients.. I need to put money in their cash registers, if that doesn't happen, what good am I?

they didn't get what they paid for
Post 5 • IP   flag post
good for you ... if you can be picky and choose-y like that.

In the end, the client wants the phone to ring, the email box to fill up and money in hand.

How long have you been doing this?

Do you consider yourself an SEO expert or marketing expert?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
SEO since 2003
Local SEO is my specialty
Lawyers.com can get an attorney ranked in Google organics
Google Places ( now known as Google My Business ) puts a LOT MORE money in the lawyers' cash register
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@seoapexpredator

What changes have you seen in SEO in the bakers dozen of years you have been at it?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
the algorithm is a LOT smarter

from 2005 thru 2010 all you had to do is build links, and links from as many social media profiles or BBS forums like this were good enough

the algo got REAL smart in 2010... it discounts ( or might even ban you altogether )
if it detects a link that YOU created for YOUR benefit

the only inbound links that googlebot counts are ones that are NOT in your control

And Semantic search... a title to an article or blog post should be in the form of a sentence a human would ask ( out loud )

Case in point.. I sub contract to web designers... ( my particular form of ADD and Aspargers Autism tends to make me kind of abrasive.. so they get the work and sub out the stuff they can't do to me)

I had an Energy Broker as a client... I looked at what is currently ranking in Google.. and my first ( creative ) thought was: every player in this genre used sales copy and nothing else... I asked my self What IS an energy broker?
( I really said WFT is an energy broker but that's not a politically expedient thing to say )

4 months later I saw ranking #3 in Google:
what is an energy broker

think like the algorithm.. not a human

being an aspargers savant helps a lot
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@seoapexpredator

"I ditch client's who aren't or can't get on board"

Please refer me to the clients you don't want.
thewiz@ourhutch.com
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Rev the clients I no longer work with can be found on my Linkedin profile

and no one has to take my word for anything... ask my clients if I put money in their cash registers or not

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marylandsearchenginemarketing
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't Google just change their algorithm AGAIN in the last couple of days? Is Text still king, 'Content' will always be, but pics are important also and if labeling pics, certainly that can at least help a little with the SEO + text/content, wouldn't you say?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices labeling pics ( alt text, meta descriptions of images ) is absolutely a positive move towards improving SEO...

I'm suggesting for a brand spankin new domain, or an old website that has little or no traffic..

ignore a human audience altogether ( for a time ) unless and until we get the most important audience ( Googlebot ) to deem our domain as THE authority in our genre.

It's not like you're losing anything.. we weren't attracting a human audience ( yet ) anyway

Googlebot isn't just half of our audience.. it's the BIGGER half
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@seoapexpredator

I'm not sure I could disagree with you more. Getting the attention of "Googlebot" is easy and immediate. Keeping it is the issue. Writing for your human audience (immediately, and often) is a big part of that. "Googlebot" understands whom your real audience is. Miss that and the rest of SEO is just so much tech.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I think we disagree on the definition of what constitutes "getting Googlebot's attention"
Perhaps I failed to be specific enough.. my definition of getting the algo's attention is defined as moving up in rank.

Strictly speaking, of course, Googlebot "sees all" without need of us to submit to search engines as we once did 10 years ago.

If your website isn't moving up in rank, getting it's attention is kinda pointless
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Once a website is setup correctly... you should ignore Google and focus solely on your audience... push out that content, share it on social media and your audience will come... along with Google.... and if done correctly you'll generate more traffic via social media than you ever will via the search engines...

Just my opinion of course..
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Steve. my definition of 'website set up correctly" is it's not performing unless and until it's ranking in the top 3 of a SERP and MORE importantly if it's not ranking in the top two of Google My Business listings ( GMB formerly known as Google Places and before that Google Local Business Listings)

If you're not getting 20 unique visitors, fresh visitors that just found you, and that figure increasing each day.. then no one is seeing it anyway.

I disagree.. "the audience" will not come if they aren't seeing your content
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Obviously two schools of SEO. I'm with @Steve.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Member tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
I think, to some degree, you are simply talking about different TIMES. In other words in setting up site...attract Google, THEN, work on pushing out the content & social media. As I tell my clients, it does no good to get them started with social media if they do Not have a site or a site that is unattractive/not functioning.

If the goal is to attract the audience...you have to have somewhere for them to go (your site/landing page) to even get to the remainder of the 'Inbound' marketing cycle. And as we all know, this takes time, as they may visit once, look, and watch your content, then visit again, etc... Yet we are building trust and relationships. So I think it is the time frame difference that is having you disagree.

Website alone does not do it and Content w/o site (or somewhere to push them) does not do it. Google wants the site, but then they also want to see content and updates.
Thoughts?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@tammysoffices

I think you are making my point.

1. You should have a website as the foundational element of your online presence.

2. A website doesn't have to be pretty, nor complete, in order to be opened to visitors and searchbots.

3. From day one you need to begin adding relevant content (blogging is the easiest way).

It is so easy to make your content "good" for SEO that there is no need to get techie about it. If you use a self-hosted WordPress website and a good SEO plugin like Yoast SEO, most of the necessary SEO tech is done for you, or is VERY easy to do yourself. The rest doesn't matter until you are fighting over top spots on page one and that won't happen without lots of relevant content.

So, forget about pretty. Forget about techie SEO. Start with a good website (WordPress is SEO ready and functional out of the box and a good choice of theme will deal with the "attractive" part -- though that is the least important part). Concentrate on content and in short order you will be beating most of your competition -- mainly because they won't be doing what you are doing.

If you you spend three hours every day researching keywords and I spend three hours every day posting blog articles without any keyword research at all, I will beat you in search every time.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Rev

What @Rev aays.

"If you you spend three hours every day researching keywords and I spend three hours every day posting blog articles without any keyword research at all, I will beat you in search every time."
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew (and others)

Please note that this is not to say the SEO is bad. I'm an SEO professional and I do high-level SEO work on some significant clients.

The thing is, most of us -- coaches, solopreneurs, small business operators, don't really need that kind of SEO work. In any given niche, most people are not doing SEO at all AND they are not blogging regularly, either. You can beat them easily and get into the top five pages, often page one, of the SERPs.

In really tight markets like jewelry, real-estate, legal, medicine, and a few others, a lot of attention is being paid to SEO by many top players so you need to focus on your actual (often local) market, and most often get good professional SEO help.

But, for the rest of us, once you get to the first page (or maybe page two) you run into the serious players and the difference, after you have done all the regular things that apply -- lots of good (better!) content, and all the SEO techie stuff -- that difference comes down to the little things, some of which you have no control over.

One of those little things is how long your site has been around, how long Google has considered it authoritative. When you get to the final fight on page one that can be the single deciding factor, and you can't change it THEN.

And that is why I say get your website up and OPEN now. Not tomorrow, or the next day. Not the day after or the week after, or the month after your competition, but NOW! You can't -- will never be able to -- do it any sooner. Don't leave it until later. Because, when it comes down to that final push, and you are desperately looking for the little edge that will make the difference, you CANNOT go back and start any earlier!

So, to restate it in a slightly different way,

1 - Get your self-hosted website up and open -- even if it's not "finished",

2 - Learn a few simple basics to creating good content -- content Google and other search engines will like and consider authoritative, and

3 - Post regularly, a minimum of 2 or 3 times per week, more often if you can.

Don't put it off. Start NOW. Then...

Do it BETTER. Do it more OFTEN. Be more REGULAR. Keep at it LONGER.

http://wizardsplace.com/general-news/4-ys-of-success/
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Wow, thanks for the mention. Can we get a link to the forum, too!

I have added a 5th.

Story - know what it is you do bether than anybody else in yoit niche. Get your solution clear.

Tell your Story.
Tell your story a lot = quantity
Tell your story well = quality.
Tell your story often = consistency.
Tell your story ongoing = )ongevity.

Thx again for the mention.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I'll add the link. Should have thought of that.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Member SteveWiideman private msg quote post Address this user
A friend of mine asked me to chime in on this thread. There is definitely a lot of over-thinking happening in this "what came first, the chick or the egg" conversation. Obviously, the top ranking factors for any piece of content (today) are the historical user data about a URL, PageRank signals and now what RankBrain does with both.

I like David's point of making a page technically accessible with appropriate canonical tags (for desktop and AMP), mitigated duplicate URLs, PageSpeed, and semantic contextual SEO focal points.

That being said, if a new URL is displayed 10 times in 1,000 impressions, even with a killer CTR, if the user returns to the search results and chooses a better (more professional design, fast-loading, mobile-friendly/mobile-first, accessible-friendly, and more HELPFUL) result than yours, the chance of getting more impressions on the first page is not very likely.

You have to be, and stay, the best result for a query from my experience. Sure, a spammer can slip in there for a few weeks, but it's short-lived. Obsess over a keyword or nurture ongoing improvements to the criteria mentioned in parenthesis above. I'll choose the latter every time.

Test everything. Markup everything. Run customer surveys, run mTurk surveys, think out of the box. But always be improving.

Algorithms love patterns. Create a pattern of improvement in all disciplines of SEO (technical, contextual and visibility) and you're pouring sunlight and water into a forest of long-term success.

It's neither the chicken or the egg that comes first - it's both.

---- End Rant ----
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
asked me to chime in ... love it, if you have a point to make, make it don't ask others to make it for you ... it erodes your authority.

As to the rest ... YAWN just words

But this is just my opinion and I guess you all know more
Post 26 • IP   flag post
29158 26 26
destitute