BillBelew.com
ebookIntroductionStorytellingWriters Block

Newcomer screenplay writer expands portfolio1974

chrischance private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,
I am busy writing screenplays right now so I don't know where I fit in around here.

One of my screenplays is "optioned" and hopefully goes into production soon. In the meantime, my agent advises me to enlarge my portfolio of feature film scripts, so that is what I am doing.

Anyway, I'm sure to find something as I familiarise myself on here.

Best,
Chris.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@chrischance

Agent wants you to expand your portfolio?

Can s/he be more specific?

Welcome!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
tracy private msg quote post Address this user
@chrischance

Welcome aboard!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
jgerk private msg quote post Address this user
It's always good to meet another writer.
A warm welcome awaits you here.

Joy
Post 4 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome aboard mate!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome aboard
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the welcome.

My agent advises me to continue with my favourite genre, which is Action/Thriller, based on actual events.

Most of my work contains characters and locations that are known to me. My characters are always real people but with name changes for obvious reasons.

The locations are also known to me because of the many countries I served in as a Combat Engineer, I was a professional soldier. And of course, the land, sea and air routes I used as a smuggler, which brings me on, somewhat inevitably, to being a prisoner in eleven different foreign prisons. All of this ensures authenticity in each of my works.

Often people ask if I regret certain parts of my life. My answer is always the same: I cannot unspill the milk, therefor, why waste brain cells regretting that which can't be changed.

The years spent in those foreign prisons simply adds to the kaleidoscope of life and instead of allowing that time to be wasted, I use the experiences and the memories to create the stories that take readers to places they couldn't possibly imagine. You see, I don't need to research things like other writers do - I've already done it; been there, spat in the corner and got the t-shirt.

I can't just say all that without mentioning my wonderful wife, who supported me from DAY 1 and still does today.

Losing her would have been my only regret - but I'm a lucky guy.

Best,
Chris.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@chrischance

Indeed you have a fascinating background. I have been in prison 6 times ... no, wait. I have been married 6 times. I have the 2 confused.

What platforms for marketing and outreach are your agent recommending?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Good question. They haven't ever recommended any platforms. I think this is because they have their own sources and contacts for placing their clients work.

There are countless writers' forums where people try to get their work out but getting it on to a desk that matters is very hard.

It is a tough and lonely life being a writer, even if you get published it doesn't mean you've made it.

Apparently, things will change when my "optioned" script is produced... so I am told. I'll believe it when I see it.

The prodco handling my script also optioned my book from which I adapted the screenplay, so at least I get two bites of the cherry on each renewal. They have also earmarked another of my scripts for the sequel so fingers crossed.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@chrischance

Do you belong to a writers group?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome @chrischance! Even a big fish in a big sea with little fish is not always noticed! Thus being in the writer's groups, other than support (b/c of understanding the life we live) is really the only reason I see. You already have an agent and even that is difficult to get sometimes. It sounds like you are on the right track.

What an amazing and crazy life you have led. My family is from pirates - does that count? haha What was the most exciting journey you took and which was the most dangerous?

@belew - 6...SIX...Really? Are you married now also? What has it taught you?

My son actually would love to write screenplays - what would kind of advise would you give a young person (19 yr old) who is wanting to break into that field?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
WOW! I hope I have the time - my dinner is nearly ready.

No, Bill, I don't do that because I live in the countryside and my vision of village writing groups isn't good.

Hi Tammy, your son should read scripts in his favourite genre. It is the same as reading a book only he'll be learning as he reads. Try this site:
http://la-screenwriter.com/2016/08/16/7-ways-to-make-us-care-about-your-characters/

LA Screenwriters is as good as any... Dinners ready; see you later.
CC
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@chrischance

Bit of a writer myself. Books, not screenplays, though I could probably be seduced...

Love the authenticity you bring!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
tammysoffices private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks so much @chrischance!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@chrischance - I think the problem is that writers hang out with writers, so it's hard to get things like funding, aka producers, when you're not hanging out in their circles.

There's a reason why that cliche "it's a numbers game" exists.. because sadly it's true.

My friend Dawn Fields has worked on numerous projects in development hell before finally taking steps to get her own indie short funded with Lance Henriksen.

Post 15 • IP   flag post
26126 15 15
destitute