BillBelew.com
Content MarketingSocial MediaVideo

Why Your Audience Can't Find You1977

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Finding it harder than ever to get reach?

Just released a new short video on why -

BTW I'm about to release a Skillshare class on how to make videos like this over the next day or so.

If you'd like to be one of the first beta testers to get in free, just let me know in the comments.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Cynthia private msg quote post Address this user
I"d like to learn how to do it.
Cynthia Copple www.lotusayurveda.com
Post 2 • IP   flag post
bdaoust private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba Love to be a beta tester for you anytime!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @jycmba

John

Neat idea.

I have watched your video and looked at spark.adobe.com

Do you see this as for Explainer Videos? Or??

I would like to participate. Your last session was great! It is easier for me if you do not start too late (I am +8 hours).

Best Wishes
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Jonnner private msg quote post Address this user
@Cynthia

I like your website.

I lived in the Bay Area for 12 years. So I have friends down your way.

Best Wishes
Jonnner
Post 5 • IP   flag post
ljsingh private msg quote post Address this user
I would love to be a beta tester!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Jonnner - y, sometimes all I see are possibilities and have to remember that not everyone's brain works the same way!

Easy videos are about sharing your message or story in the most engaging way possible - without spending a lot of time or money.

As I shared in our weekly think tank, this isn't some fad - it's a long-term trend towards more video. So, there's going to be those who start learning this medium, and those who wished they had started.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
p.s These Skillshare classes will be at your own pace - it's basically a MOOC like Udemy, but with a significantly different community.

If there's enough interest, we'll start another set of weekly think tanks, where it's not just about "how to" make videos, but ways to use them to boost business, or how to grow your audience with videos.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
ljsingh private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds wonderful! I am such a MOOC junkie! It will be great to learn!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@ljsingh - y, they can be addictive!

What I constantly push students to do is to APPLY this information.

Knowledge for its own sake is useless (believe me, I know this firsthand!!) We all have tons of PDF's, "free reports" and probably access to video courses that never get used.

Why? Because we feel like the next shiny object will be "it."

So, in a way I'm guilty of creating a shiny object, what I really want to do is to inspire students to get their first video made using this technique, and more importantly get RESULTS!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
In order to be found you have to already have been found. This is an excellent way to get that first 'find' in the bank.

Thanks @jycmba.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba I am in. Even I agree is to apply. I read is to understand the concept and whether it is applicable. I learn from doing.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Clydeart private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba, @belew, @jonner, etc.

Here is a relatively simple item that Adobe Spark can do. Videos are not any harder. If you have little experience composing and editing videos you may be able to get a leg up using jycmba's "how to's".

https://spark.adobe.com/page/snH082nwBWa1V/
Post 13 • IP   flag post
WOW @Clydeart - y, video is definitely THE medium for your content as well!

Videos will only make fans of your great photos and detailed explanation salivate to make their own creations!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@jycmba I am currently working on the video idea. Slightly different "lesson" and also related to actually teaching a woodworking class.

Thanks for your encouragement plus pointing me to Adobe Spark several whiles back.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Clydeart - Adobe Spark definitely makes it easier to use your existing stills.

Video footage would require something like iMovie on Mac, Windows Movie Marker on PC, or my recommendation - WeVideo, for an online app.

What I teach is that once you develop your storytelling, it's a matter of developing proficiency with the tools, just like woodworking.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@jycmba _Yep, Yes, and I have a lot of proficiency with art, video, photo, and the digital tools by Apple and Adobe since Apple II days as well as many years of woodworking. I have been through a number of iterations of movie tools from various players on the Mac. I like iMovie simplicity and Adobe has made a more user friendly movie editor, but I am not into video production at the Adobe level at present times.

I like your hints and pointers.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
globalman22 private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba - You da man! Thank you!
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Mammoth1 private msg quote post Address this user
I always like to learn new skills
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Apart from the advert John.... ... I don't get an answer as to why visitors aren't finding you ... the 8 second thing with the goldfish was something I mentioned years back, it's to do with attention spans and nothing to do with people finding you ...

In fact I used it to try and educate people in the need to capture an audiences attention every 8 seconds... again nothing to do with why an audience can't find you?

Kind of a click bait tile ... as unless I'm missing something I don't get an answer to the question posed by the title.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve - well, it was the most I could fit into 30 sec.. which is exactly the point - you have seconds to grab attention these days.

If you don't master the techniques of the click bait factories like Buzzfeed, then no matter how great your message or story is - well, it just may not matter.

Thought that was pretty self-explanatory, but maybe I missed the mark after all.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Just not following... and it seems as if you are advocating click bait titles... which might attract the odd visitor but it certainly doesn't build an audience.

It doesn't with me anyway.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
If you are trying to grab people's attention you are fighting a losing battle overall.

Create content that people want and are looking for...and you will win the war.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Sorry any the fighting metaphors. .. but not too sorry.

I had a guy tell me I was stuck in the 80s and 90s because I advocateadvocate blogging.

"It's all abt video he said.

I challenged him to a 3 month contest. He could create videos for 3 months and I'd write blogs for 3 months and we'd see who got the most traffic/biz.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Just to be clear - @Belew @Steve - no one's saying anything about REPLACING blogging.

If you look at anything I've written, what I've shared is that video is a tool to master.

It's just much easier than Bill is saying and a way to REPURPOSE your content in an engaging format.

Just like some people talked about DVDs or Netflix being the end of movie theaters.

If you notice, the successful cinemas realized they needed to adapt by becoming multiplexes and offering a different movie experience, e.g. Arclight home theater experience.

BOTTOM-LINE - master this new medium or end up like Blockbuster.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@jycmba all i said in this thread was that you never answered the question and then i mentioned click bait... which you used to promote your services.

However as I have been pulled into this... I'll state quite clearly that the there is a place for video...

I'm not talking about video that is shall we say a few images and a voice over... that's boring as hell and to be honest doesn't add anything... you might as well offer the content as audio only as more people will listen to it while driving to work.

Video needs to be engaging, of a good quality and it needs to add something new... this is just the same as any content, if you produce the same old boring rubbish no one will ever watch your video or read your blog post... pitch your content at your audience so that they can't wait for the next piece to be published.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
At allinthisforum I see "videos" as having content that means something to someone. My Dad had an 8mm movie camera (circa 1950's & 60's) and his focus was not just us kids jumping into waves at the beach. He kept trying to tell a story about going to the beach. He was hampered by the primitive editing technology of the day from composing a meaningful video about bees and beekeeping.

After seeing many "home movies" by others I went with Dad's idea. I looked to tell stories with my 35mm photos and slide shows.

It was more meaningful to family and friends when I could show a box of 20 slides and talk about the story behind the slide and why I took it than several carousels of "here we are at the ____ monument". e.g. I took slides on a family vacation to Boston, MA and environs with several ideas or scripts in mind. Several more scripts presented them selves as we toured places like Plymouth Plantation. From that vacation came a couple American History slide shows my wife used as an educator for several years.

I see my paintings, drawings, and other art works as "still moments" that capture a story moment.

It is this kind of thing I am trying to do with my web blogging and social media content. (Although I oft get bogged down in rabbit trails ...)
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@all

The simple criteria for when to hit publish whatever the medium -

"Does it add something to the discussion?"

If not don't write/record. Go back and do something else.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
No sure why you think of yourself as "pulled into this" @Steve - almost as saying that you don't have a choice. There's always choice, and you've made it clear how you CHOOSE to act.

I'm sorry if what I offer doesn't meet your spec's - I was just trying to offer everyone else an alternative to sharing their content that didn't require expensive budgets or learning some complicated software.

Like I said, not all of us are in the top 10 - I didn't realize that we needed to be "qualified" to offer ideas that have been validated by results. But in case anyone is still interested, here's a "silly little amateurish" video that got over 2000 organic views in a few days -

Post 29 • IP   flag post
@jycmba 2400 views in four almost five months ... hardly a success, in your whole arsenal of videos that is your best ... come on m8 show me something to blow me away...

Here is a link to your you-tube channel am I missing something here ...

I make mistakes daily... show me something to say, hey I made a mistake... John knows his stuff... and it works from a marketing perspective.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
25991 34 30
destitute