BillBelew.com
Belew Speaks

Who Benefits When You Are the Expert?2004

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I got an email from a website owner praising me for my expert status. That feels good, but ...

Do I have time to answer some questions as an 'expert' that he will, in turn, post on his site?

In other words, if I give him free content for his site, he will mention me ... as an expert along with 10, 20 or 40 others.

Who benefits from this?

If I get a link back on a page that links out to 10, 20, or 40 other sites x 2 or 3 or 4 if social profiles are added, is it worth my time to contribute ... because I am the 'expert?'

What do you think?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Are you a marketer who knows how to ABC... or someone who does ABC and wants to learn how to market?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Is it "giving him free content for his site" or "providing content in exchange for exposure on his site"? The former leave you feeling somewhat used. The latter is win-win and feels better. They are really the same thing. The difference is your perspective, your attitude.

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." -Dr. Wayne Dyer.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member Susan private msg quote post Address this user
This situation reminds me of the chicken sandwich story you told. Is it worth a lunch for you to talk to people and give them lots of free info? Do you need the contacts his site would produce? Would you loose out a lot by providing "free" information? Can you word your answers in a way that people might get a tease then be motivated to search you out for paid advice? You are the "expert" in this area, so I feel your questions is rhetorical... :-)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Susan

I think you are catching on. I suspect most of @Belew's posts are rhetorical. :o)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member jpb4 private msg quote post Address this user
“The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.”

― Ernest Hemingway

......just sayin'
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

does 'exposure' on another site amount to anything if they don't have any regular readership?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev

they are rhetorical until I get a response ... then I hope there can be a dialog.@Susan
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Is there a potential for readership? Will you be there when the readership comes? Step by step.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I turned it down.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
28324 10 10
destitute