BillBelew.com
MotivationPublic Speaking

Helping Kids, Parents w Test Anxiety2006

tonypiparo private msg quote post Address this user
It's great being a part of this group. My name is Dr. Tony Piparo (Tony). I am a Performance Psychologist and Coach. I specialize in helping parents and teachers assist children who suffer from Test Anxiety.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@tonypiparo Tony welcome to the group. Do you find that children who prepared well for a test still have anxiety OR is anxiety essentially an effect for children that didn't prepare adequately for any given test?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Children suffering from Test Anxiety are mostly well prepared for the exams but have never been taught what the pressure to excel does to them or how to overcome its effects. It's no different than our adult population who haven't been trained how to handle stress. We accept it as a normal part of living in a fast-paced, hectic demanding world. We have to start training children and adults how to deal effectively with the effects of stress, better known as fight-or-flight. Here is a Youtube video of a workshop I presented to parents and teachers.

Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@tonypiparo

Welcome. OMG! A psychologist in our midst. Talk about performance anxiety... ;o)

It has always amazed me how we expect children to learn and test well and yet how little we actually teach them about how to learn or how to test. Thoughts?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
You are absolutely right Rev. We also don't teach them how to handle pressure, the effects that fight-or-flight (which is the natural reaction to threat) does to them cognitively, visually, emotionally, behaviorally, and physiologically that corrupts their ability to think and respond appropriately. Heck, we don;t teach adults this. We also don't teach them how to overcome these effects so they can live and perform optimally.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Seniorpreneur private msg quote post Address this user
@tonypiparo Deepak Chopra & others recommend doing meditation exercises by starting with deep breathing to begin the meditation. For stress relief what is more important deep breathing or deep meditation or are both equal in importance? Thanks!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Because of the power of the subconscious old habits die hard. Meditation is a great exercise but takes time to reprogram the subconscious to believe that a person who suffers from fear of failure that they have the capacity to succeed. PROPER breathing techniques, and I stress proper, eliminates up to 90% of stress hormones as so works better in the moment. Unfortunately, those parts of the brain required for academic success get turned off when we go into fight-or-flight. Fight-or-flight is the natural response to fear. Breathing techniques, by themselves, don't reactivate those parts of the brain turned off under stress. This requires other just as simple, very powerful tools that, when trained work almost instantly. Training only takes days. Here is the routine I use. It works for more than just Test Anxiety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiLtrVkmcgU
Post 7 • IP   flag post
27552 7 7
destitute